• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

20th Annual Hunt For Red October - after event report

ManWorkingHere

As a 'noob' to the HFRO, full version, I thoroughly enjoyed the people, the bikes, and the great weather this weekend.

My HRFO started with Saturday, not Friday.  Others will have to comment on their own experiences with the additional day that was added.  Scuttlebutt has it that Fridays may be included with HRFO from now on.

I may have misread the WI announcement for HFRO because it seems I was 1/2 hour behind everyone.  I did arrive at the Delafield McD's at 815am only to find Don waiting for me saying 'The flyer said 8am here.'  Don could not ride this one but he showed up in support of COG.  He is also looking for comments from owners C-14's with third-party exhausts.  Send them to 'Brickman' to get him involved with these COG events.

Rour46WV9VSjHIV2h31nfZZMdeFIOtU-uYXdmKCgqOM=w153-h203-p-no

KV3sNnlNxKRco85q3Gj3Usp28h5Rt28-e7eOzOMQRrw=w153-h203-p-no

But the nice big moon helped guide me westward to the Merrimac Ferry.  For those riders in another thread who ask, 'How do you prepare to ride a Ferry?', I say, 'just ride it on'.
ksQ2WGUT0V01NdqiYTuamS74NPhVmyaizU04KUisZSU=w153-h203-p-no

The Merrimac Ferry is actually considered part of Wisconsin State Highway 113.  The ferry is registered as a National Historic Place.  And it's Free !  Check out the Ferry here

But when I reached the other side at 1030am, I found everyone who had planned to gather there left at 10am.  :-(

So I gathered my Navigon route app on the iPhone and set it to 'Sparta, WI'.  I reached the Sparta Family Restaurant in time to have a nice lunch with Ken McClurg, his friend Karen, and my roommate for the weekend, Buzz.

I needed gas for the bike after fueling myself with a nice Turkey Bacon wrap. 

At the pump, Craig Hill and son Thomas approached me to ask if I was going to Dodgeville.  They both had ridden up for lunch from Hartland.  I offered to meet them in Delafield next year for the Hunt and ride together.  So we gathered to depart and Buzz picked up 'Dan' from Poynette to ride with us too.

The five of us then headed south with the idea that Craig, Thomas, and Dan would split off on WI 60 to return home once Buzz and I turned south.

The sunny afternoon was very pleasant to ride and the fall colors turned trees into splashes of color for our viewing pleasure.

Buzz and I managed to find the Don Q Inn after dropping off the other guys.  This unique hotel has an interesting lawn ornament not found often elsewhere.

bWdY_gwsXSqGTRVuzIF0BFxkEonmGrpV0FcbtsVZoxY=w270-h202-p-no

There were plenty of riders who made it there already.  The usual parking lot banter went back and forth about bikes, rides, and other stuff.

Rw3SdWjEC2IWlgXeq6bzSV4fYPoslvpj4id9rpAfU4k=w270-h202-p-no

b5yHdEfGumxYpm8UhYm_pMCZtC1DrXd190be2Qjna-A=w270-h202-p-no

Tried for a panoramic view here.  Buzz obtained Capital Brewery products in town to start off the parking lot banter for us.  Nice brews too!
3TB8NyznQNN3hYoprs69CR2cCikljQoYssb_gmPOYcQ=w726-h207-p-no

After checking in to our room, I also checked out the interior of the C-97 cargo plane on the lawn.  No cockpit access allowed but the cavernous hold is interesting.

The banquet was held next door for us.  Dave McClurg and others did a great job with the caterers.  Our Area Director, Brian, is lucky to have these AAD's and volunteers helping out, some of them for 23 years now.  Wow!

Before:
eZ2JfynzEaYr0fJ5RQmbrD9-RXZAd0jJ6CEZUHsCb2c=w257-h191-p-no
hhYtKdSZsOi_ApiMrV6J-kLiIgPU48FiGyKcyjIGInA=w257-h191-p-no

During:
L0b5vohU-nU9r3L_Acx9FBDo5D0-aVXyIF0HqCNOhbY=w154-h204-p-no
YOwVh1HcACrHgz37L6L3DFj5b-ICv9zm2z5st9GJnzQ=w615-h204-p-no

After:
Many raffle prizes were graciously offered up. Someone brought a heated vest he had been trying to sell online.  He gave it to Dave to give away!  Nice!

Buzz and I did not win a GOG certificate but dessert was great.  I did receive a consolation prize of a hand-tossed, yellow, micro-fiber cleaning cloth right from Brian's hand.  :great:
hkoaqxwyHsncxZ7EDOfOJ1KIrtt9WZKCiNb8Skprt9g=w273-h204-p-no
I think Buzz liked his drink more.

We returned to the Don Q lobby for after-drinks around the huge fireplace while sitting in eclectic, previously-owned, dental chairs from the 30's, 40's and 50's.  Deb and Jake played Cribbage using the half-hewn log for a board there.  Ken and Karen kibbitzed their hands since D and J had not played before.  I heard that Ken played somebody else later and the game took half as long to play.  :)

I retired to bed and slept very well.

Early Sunday morning, we got up to join Dave, Deb, Jake, John, Robert and his wife for Breakfast in town.  The Country Kitchen did a nice job with my Double Up Scramble.

Buzz and I left going southwest to Mifflin while the others headed to Baraboo Hills (eventually).  Buzz and I found a nice, winding Rustic Road 75 where a pair of Deer tried to pass on the left but got scared off.

rustic75image.jpg
r75.gif

We stopped in Evansville to eat and watch the Packer game.  I had a nice Cajun Burger in my #12 jersey and fit right in with the locals at the bar.
jUUJq0UcctmUfD0mQI52ryTWM2_DbKzhB1gsVkQx8Vk=w279-h209-p-no

We split up there.  I made it through Eagle up Hwy 67 through some nice curves in Jake's backyard haunt.  I also took County ZZ near Ottawa Park and found another Rustic Road to enjoy.

With a smile on my face I landed back in my garage and unpacked.  My wife did not come rushing out to greet me as she usually does because the Packers were down on the Dolphins 4 yardline with 6 seconds left in the game.  Needless to say, Aaron nails a TD strike that seals the win.  :great:

A wonderful Hunt For Red October, in my humble opinion!

Great report; I'm really bummed I couldn't make it. The bike's still in recovery-mode following my crash.

This was my first COG event.  Rode up from Poynette to Sparta.  A little nervous walking into the restaurant not knowing a single soul, but pulled up an empty chair at the nearest table with Steve and  ????????????, sorry, can't remember the name, but a fine fellow he is.  C-14 guys.  Mine's a C-10.    After conversation and a cup of coffee, tagged onto the end of a small group, and had a very very pleasant ride almost to Dodgeville, then headed home.  Perfect riding weather through pretty Wisconsin countryside. I do believe I'd like to do this again.                      What a nice group of people.  Glad to know ya !            :beerchug:

Man, what a great weekend. I really liked the two day version, and we had a heck of a turnout for the 20th annual Hunt!! The weather was nearly perfect with just a few drops of rain on the way home.  I think we had around 50 people attending and even signed up 2 new members during the event.
Thanks again to AAD's Dave McClurg, Randy Shafer and Jeff Kerkow for all the work getting things lined up and running smoothly.  We had a fine banquet and some great door prizes given out.
Hope to see everyone here again next year  :)

Pic link here http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/bpsnow1/slideshow/HFRO%202014