• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2nd gear bites me

Sandies Owner

Big Wheel
Well, it all started when I acquired my 05 Connie, named Sandy.
2 hr. trip home after work, dark, no riding for 30 yrs, soft gravel OOPS
That's #1 Used a chain hoist to pick her up.
#2 Parallel park on a city street OOPS (broke right peg)
#3 & #4 Full stop at intersection let out the clutch still in 2nd gear stalled and went over.
Broke right peg again on #4
#5 Dropped off curb successfully twisted throttle, no go, 2nd gear again :mad:
#6 Latest one, don't let the right hand do the left hands job.
Been riding again since April 2014.
Did the Oregon 500, 2 weeks after I got her. Put the first right peg on Friday night before the ride.
Told my wife 3 months after the last OOPS and I will fix the damage. I'm looking forward to Jan 2015.

Well I've got to say that it seems as if you and Sandy have been busy!  Not sure about that first one, but 2, 3, and 4 are definitely drops, so you definitely qualify.  On #2, I thought you said you broke your right LEG - glad to note I was wrong on that one.  And so it has now become my sad duty to confirm you as the 520th recipient of the uncoveted Connie Droppers Anonymous Award.  You have another tale to share around a Rally campfire.  My sincerest condolences!

The five most recent unfortunates:

0516 C14 Todd Everetts
0517 C10 Michael Spickelmier
0518 C14 Gerard Salmon
0519 C14 Matt Guss
0520 C10 Steve Sinner

Not dropping the bike would help your foot-peg costs a lot!
BUT,,,,
Has anyone ever told you how to grind the foot-peg so that it doesn't break so easily?

But, I salute you!
Ya keep getting back on the bike,,,,, and yer brave enough to let these guys know what has happened...

Saaaaaaalute!!!!

Ride safe, Ted

ChipDoc said:
...And so it has now become my sad duty to confirm you as the 520th recipient of the uncoveted Connie Droppers Anonymous Award. 

That should be 520-f as each drop counts individually.

But don't worry as I doubt you'll ever reach the double digits of a certain ex-member. Last I saw he was up to -ab, on the same bike.

Don't give up.
I dropped my 94 five times in seven months, and since then have gone 12 months and 20K miles without incident.
It's a learning curve !

When I got my first Concours I had not ridden in over 15 years.  I went to a parking lot and practice low speed handling and braking until I was happy to take it on the street.  The real world is no place to learn.  My drops since then have been in the mud, two up at very not level stop and looking backwards while stopping in gravel.  That last one is not recommended at all.  Practice!