• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

3,000 mile review of PR3 (front and rear)

Gypsy JR

I had Michelin PR3 tires mounted before I picked the bike up after purchasing it in January. I didn't get many miles on it until I want to Arkansas, and then I suddenly had 3,000 some odd miles.

While in Arkansas, I couldn't run the bike hard because she wasn't broken in. I know, I know, I could always run her like I stole her, but I'm a by-the-book kind of guy when it comes to breaking vehicles in. By the time she was back home, she was broken in.

On the 3-day ride this past weekend, my K-bike buddy and I were riding 9/10ths a whole lot in seriously lucious technical windy twisty roads. A lot of the Pace style too, no braking, rolling off on entrance, leaning in, rolling on and exiting in unison. It was a thing of beauty, sparks flying off the peg ends, up on toes to keep boots from dragging.

Not a single chicken strip left, scrubbed all the way to the sidewall.

No small amount of it was in shadows under heavy canopy, and some of it was wet from thunderstorms that (fortunately) passed through ahead of us. The tires gripped in all circumstances, even in high G decreasing radius stuff... the kind where it dips down to apex and rises uphill on exit. We had 'em leaned over as far as they would go and just feathered the throttles right at the limit to stay on line through the turn.

The PR3s were predictable, stable, never once let go or slipped, and I'm pretty sure traction control never got invoked.

I'm pretty hard to impress beyond mild satisfaction with tires, having used everything from knobbies to full road- and drag-race tires over the years.

I really liked the PR2s on my ZX14, and these PR3s are every bit as good and probably better in terms of easy turn in, predictablity, consistancy, and grip. Not to mention they ride smooth and quiet too.

my first reply got wiped as i must have hit a key. so this one will be short.  great review and i look forward to you providing up-dates as they wear. just order 2 sets, as i plan on some "traveling" in the coming months.

Chicken strips gone on my OEM rear. Can't wait for the PR3's. I fondly recall PR2's on my BMW RT and everyone says the PR3's are even better.  :great:

gnuse said:
Chicken strips gone on my OEM rear. Can't wait for the PR3's. I fondly recall PR2's on my BMW RT and everyone says the PR3's are even better.  :great:

I had PR2s on my ZX14 and loved them. These PR3s on my Connie are even better, in that they seem to have better traction out at the edges, the territory where pegs scrape and you are looking a little like a racer in a corner.  :motonoises: