• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

4 Season Jackets

mike2411

Road Bike
Hey everyone, is there anyone out there wearing a TRUE "4 season jacket" ... is there such a thing in the real world? I know there are jackets advertised as being "4 season" but a lot of them fail in temps above 90 F.

If so, could you tell me what you're wearing? I'm really interested in hearing from people that are comfortably wearing a "4 season jacket" in temps above 90 F. I'm curious to hear what's out there.

Thanks,

Mike

I tell ya what Mike, believe it or not, when I bought my first Connie in 09, I bought an Xelement 4 season jacket.  I didn't know what I really wanted yet, didn't want to fork out $600+ for a jacket that I ended up not liking.  So I paid like $75 for it as a temporary solution.

I still own it today. 

Sadly, it's kind of starting to fall apart on me though (6 years later).  My inside pocket zipper broke when I went to pick up the black beast on Monday.
But I absolutely love this jacket.  The internal shell zips out for the hot weather, and it has a LOT of vent air flow. 

I've ridden in 100 degree weather, as well as I've also ridden when it was below 40 degrees and I was comfortable.
I've ridden in the rain and also stayed dry.  It has armor too.

Granted the design of these jackets is a pain in the butt.  The Velcro on the inside likes to attach to the mesh inner liner.  But that is my only complaint.

I believe there are a few setups that can provide 4 season riding. 

I ride in a great set of Klim pants and jacket.  I don't ride (intentionally) when it's raining, but the few times I've been caught in it, that gear has kept me bone dry.  It keeps out the wind and it's reasonably cool (with the zippers open) on a warm day.  Granted Oregon summer days are seldom what the SW or SE parts of the country get, but I've been stuck in traffic with temps higher than 90 degrees and while uncomfortable, it wasn't murderous.  Fall is great in this gear, spring equally so.  I certainly wouldn't consider riding with snow or ice on the ground, but I was out for a long ride a couple days ago and in the morning it was 27 degrees and I felt fine.

If you're going to ride in temps cooler than that, you can always buy some heater gear/underlayers.  That would provide comfort even into the single digits.

My .02 cents.

Thanks guys. I do have heated gear which is why I was more interested in a jacket that can be worn when it's toasty out!

Mike

I have this Joe Rocket Super Ego.  You can zip out sections for when you start out on a cold morning it warms up. Its a heavy well made sport jacket.  :great:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-10-28-20-07-15~01.png
    Screenshot_2015-10-28-20-07-15~01.png
    289.4 KB · Views: 104
Where we live here in the SE region, probably not. I just use vented jackets and pants in hot weather and heavier stuff in cold air, and then electrics if its really cold or im going a long way.

I wear an Aerostich Darien jacket & pants year round on out of county riding ventures. It was a bit warm in the low desert with on road temps at 100+, but it kept the sweat wicking to a controlled level.

For over 5 years, I have worn an Olympia AirGlide, with no liner in summer heat. For spring and fall, add the insulated (and waterproof) liner. For coldest winter, I add Warm'nSafe heater liner.

When I replace my AirGlide, it will likely be with another one. Available at most retailers for under $300.

I have learned though the years to lower my expectations and I am much happier with life..

The is no such thing as a magical jacket that will keep you toasty warm when its 30F outside and cool and comfortable when its 95F outside. 

When its cold,  add layers and electrics if needed.    I can ride down in the 30's with just adding a few layers, particularly a wind breaker to insulate from the cutting wind

When its warm,  remove a few layers,  and open some vents.

Here comes the part many people don't understand,  but there is a lot of science behind it.  When its hot,  above 93-95F.  Close the vents and insulate against the heat and hot wind.    ( think about it,  you don't see desert dwelling people running around half naked - no they cover and insulate when it gets hot )  This hot air exposure will force your body to dehydrate,  you will spend a lot of energy trying to stay cool and its not a good thing. 

Here is a great article to read:  http://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/IronButt_1002_62-66_Hot.pdf

ThrottleUp said:
I have learned though the years to lower my expectations and I am much happier with life..

The is no such thing as a magical jacket that will keep you toasty warm when its 30F outside and cool and comfortable when its 95F outside. 

When its cold,  add layers and electrics if needed.    I can ride down in the 30's with just adding a few layers, particularly a wind breaker to insulate from the cutting wind

When its warm,  remove a few layers,  and open some vents.

Here comes the part many people don't understand,  but there is a lot of science behind it.  When its hot,  above 93-95F.  Close the vents and insulate against the heat and hot wind.    ( think about it,  you don't see desert dwelling people running around half naked - no they cover and insulate when it gets hot )  This hot air exposure will force your body to dehydrate,  you will spend a lot of energy trying to stay cool and its not a good thing. 

Here is a great article to read:  http://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/IronButt_1002_62-66_Hot.pdf

Good stuff everyone ... thank you!

ThrottleUp, that's what I was looking for, the answer to whether or not there is "that jacket" out there that covers all riding conditions. There are some that come close so I will keep looking and try to pick one that best suits my needs with teh understnading that none are perfect. I will "lower my expectations" and find my happy place too :beerchug:!

Mike

FWIW, the closest I've come is the discontinued (but usually still available new/used on eBay) BMW ComfortShell jacket. Between big front and rear vents, a secondary inner zipper, and the magic "climate change" fabric that actually seems to work, I'm comfortable in a t-shirt at temps from the mid/upper-90s down to the low-40s (even on a naked bike). Below that, adding a layer or two will keep you going well into the 30s.

It also has very substantial armor, and a velcro-cinch wrist closure that I really like. AND (big plus for me) it's totally waterproof without the need for an internal liner--though after three years and near-daily use, I've run into some leakage issues with the lower sleeves.

Downsides...if you're worried about looks, styling probably isn't its strongest suit, and I wish it had sleeve adjusters so you could tighten up the elbow armor (though the armor wraps around, and is big enough that protection probably isn't compromised that much).

I think I paid $375 on closeout, while list is something like $700. At time of purchase I thought MSRP was too steep, but as much use as I've gotten out of the jacket, in retrospect I think the coat justifies it.

You should look at the TourMaster Flex Jacket.  Its a full mesh with 2 liners (1 rain and 1 warmth) and an outer shell that zips to and over the mesh for cold days.  The outer shell is a little time consuming to zip on/off, but I have yet to see a better execution of a 4 season jacket.  I've ridden in temps from 28-90 with it.  Highly recommend.  :-\

Mike said:
Hey everyone, is there anyone out there wearing a TRUE "4 season jacket" ... is there such a thing in the real world?

Nope, I wear my Stich in the wetter/cooler months and my Klim airflow in the warmer dry months, they are both great in their own way!  :great: :beerchug:

I have a Tourmaster Flex 3 Jacket and Flex pants. The jacket outer is waterproof and all the armor is in the inner mesh jacket. The pants have huge panels that unzip and make it almost completely mesh pants. The first time I wore the pants into an air conditioned auditorium I thought my pants were unzipped because of the air flow. With the outer jacket on the jacket is heavy but comfortable. Both parts are as comfortable as anything is going to be in 100 degree temps and with the outer zipped on it is comfortable in cold temps. I never use the quilted liner because I have an electric liner that I use instead below 35 degrees. Love the Flex clothes and don't understand why no other manufacturer makes a similar set.

Fork

I haven't found it yet.
I use Tour Master Air Intake 2 with zip out liners spring/summer/fall.  Then Firstgear Kilimanjaro for Fall/winter.  All first rate gear imo.

Pricey options, but you want it ALL, you gotta PAY for it ALL!

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r5/dainese-d-explorer-jacket-review/

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/rev-it/poseidon-gtx-jacket/review.htm

https://youtu.be/0v4lWhN0imU

All jackets around $1k.

For my money, I'll have two dedicated sets. 

SUmmer Gear:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/motoport/

Kind of like, snow tires for the winter, and summers for the warmer temps.
Having a set of gear to do it ALL, is going to be a compromise....every single time!

gr