• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

5 quarts of Mobil 1 $12 off

Thats a nice deal. Speaking of synthetic, when do people recommend switching over? I just bought a 16 and planned on doing the 1st oil change at a couple hundred miles with conventional then at 1000 with synthetic..

Christopher said:
Thats a nice deal. Speaking of synthetic, when do people recommend switching over? I just bought a 16 and planned on doing the 1st oil change at a couple hundred miles with conventional then at 1000 with synthetic..

OK. I'll bite.

Synthetic oil is not "slipperier" than organic oil. BTW: oil is NOT dead dinosaurs or any other ex-living material.

So your engine breakin will not be different depending on the oil you use.

Also, break-in aint what it used to be. You can ride a bike with a brandy-new motor to the track and it will be fine to race by the time you get there. The factory redlines it in on a dyno before you ever see it.

https://youtu.be/uZ_p_ICueaY?t=3m18s

Synthetic oil is better if your engine is going to get hot because the sheer strength is maintained under heat stresses better than with organic oil due to molecular homogeneity.

Your engine does not know if your oil is synthetic or organic.

Use whatever makes your heart go pitter-patter.

I am also available to talk about .45 cal vs 9mm.  >:D

BBTW: I did two oil changes yesterday: my C14 and my 1997 CBR900RR. The Kawasaki oil filter cost me ~9 bucks at the dealer and the Honda filter was ~15 bucks. They are interchangeable. I test-fit the Kawasaki filter on my Honda and it fits perfectly. A quick check with K&N shows they use their same part number. So, you know, there's that.

IngolfStern said:
Christopher said:

OK. I'll bite.

Synthetic oil is not "slipperier" than organic oil. BTW: oil is NOT dead dinosaurs or any other ex-living material.

So your engine breakin will not be different depending on the oil you use.

Also, break-in aint what it used to be. You can ride a bike with a brandy-new motor to the track and it will be fine to race by the time you get there. The factory redlines it in on a dyno before you ever see it.

https://youtu.be/uZ_p_ICueaY?t=3m18s

Synthetic oil is better if your engine is going to get hot because the sheer strength is maintained under heat stresses better than with organic oil due to molecular homogeneity.

Your engine does not know if your oil is synthetic or organic.

Use whatever makes your heart go pitter-patter.

I am also available to talk about .45 cal vs 9mm.  >:D

BBTW: I did two oil changes yesterday: my C14 and my 1997 CBR900RR. The Kawasaki oil filter cost me ~9 bucks at the dealer and the Honda filter was ~15 bucks. They are interchangeable. I test-fit the Kawasaki filter on my Honda and it fits perfectly. Interesting fact: the Kawasaki filter was made in China. The Honda filter says "Assembled in USA". A quick check with K&N shows they use their same part number. So, you know, there's that.

Oh, and 5 quarts of Mobil 1 cost $22.95 at Wal-Mart. I didn't want to go there. Makes me feel dirty. But at the other auto parts place it was $36.95 and they didn't have the weight I wanted.