• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

'76 Honda GL 1100

cmoore

Garage find on Craigs List. The bike has about 22K on it and has been sitting for 20 odd years with no fluids in it. Cosmetically it is in excellent shape.I'm sure the carbs are gunked up and of course the tires will have to be replaced. The Owner wants it gone and the price is rock bottom. Any comments about the GL1100 would be appreciated good or bad. Thanks. '02 Connie COG # 6662 Dallas, Tx

The only really negative thing about that bike is the stator. They do go and when they do you have to pull the engine to get at it. Other than that they are pretty bullet proof. PS: just noticed the year. That bike should be a 1000 I think.

Olebiker, your right it is a 1000. Thanks for the comment about the stator. I've been looking for an old bike from my miss spent youth to fix up. Gonna see if it is still available and go take a look. Thanks. '02 Connie COG # 6662 Dallas, Tx

cmoore, I had a red one (the most common color that year). Yellow is less common, the brown special edition ones are verrrry collectible. What color is it? The kits to rebuild the carbs are quite spendy but I think Honda still has them. There is also a "fix" for the four carbs which is a manifold using a carter two barrel (no kidding). Way better mileage, too. The old fuse box connections are usually replaced with blade type fuses, much more reliable. JC Whitney has a bunch of stuff for the bike, including an oil dipstick which works a lot better than the sight window you can never read. Search for the classic wings group, there used to be an active forum for the 1000s and 1100s. Good luck. Pat COG 1887 IBA 5830 NRA LIFE VSSA LIFE Assorted bikes own me.

got one that sat a few years pulled carbs minor clean took line of fuel pump hooked to hose to a fuel can in saddle bag ran good not gravity fed like other bikes hardest thing getting gas tank out to clean or replace have to take back wheel off comes out the back recommend cd manual of ebay have to many motorcycles need to down size its a sickness i have a 76 gl 1000 10,000 miles need alot of little things i do have some parts

http://www.randakks.com/ is your friend, He is to GL's as Murph is to ZG's and I inderstand his prices are better than momma Honda.

http://www.randakks.com/ is your friend, He is to GL's as Murph is to ZG's and I inderstand his prices are better than momma Honda.

Thanks for the posts guys. The bike was a red one. Kind of faded though. Like all deals you have to be fast. It was clear from the post that he wanted it out of his garage. The asking price was $600.00. Somebody else got there first. I'm going to keep looking. I really like the look of that old GL. I've heard many good things about 'em as well. '02 Connie COG # 6662 Dallas, Tx

Too bad you didn't have a chance at it. I am not as knowledgeable as the guys on bikes, but I have a 95 Honda Nighthawk and wouldn't trade it for the world! Happy looking!Text 95 Nighthawk 750
2644127500098914013DLrixD_th.jpg

I like the original 1000. I had a friend back in the early 80's that had his with a little cafe' fairing, and shorter bars. It was quite a sporty bike. But I also loved it when the 1100 came along about that time. It was a honest to goodness factory tour bike. The Interstate and Aspencade had it all over the earlier bikes with the Vetter bags(IMO). That's why I like the 1000's naked. Bionic Bob COG & AMA member First C14 CDA member #0220 2008 C14 & 2003 Mean Streak
2003375907710792664_th.jpg