• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

7th Gear longevity

Steve in sunny Fla

Iron Butt
Industry Vendor
  Dewayne Bethel has a 2005 c-10 he commutes with. He purchased the first 7th gear unit I built, maybe 4 years ago. He just posted on another forum that he has has now reached 150K on the bike, and 100K on the 7th gear unit. I think all of us wonder about the longevity of aftermarket farkles, so i was pleased to read that the 7th gear unit has proven to be a durable unit.

Mine doesn't have the miles on it like Dewaynes, but it does get torture tested on a regular basis  >:D Steve

Cap'n Bob said:
That's good to hear his is lasting well. Great job Steve!  :bravo_2:

I have never heard of any 7th gear unit failing. I'm using all kawasaki stock parts, just with a "spin" on it - Steve

Excellent, Steve, that is good to know.

These drive units (bevel gear case, rear drive case) seem to be pretty bullet proof, I rarely hear of failures. But your attention to proper set-up is key to long life, so the hat is off to you with the 7th gear invention.

Dan