• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

80+ mile commute

simino

Big Wheel
First off HI Joe simoneaux here. Coming off an R1100RT to a 011 concours. I am relocating and until i sell my house I will be commuting 80+ miles of straight 4-lane. My question is what size metzler 880 could i use. went for an inspection today and to my shugrin the rear would not pass. PR3 with ~5000mi so Im in the market for a tough as nails tire. Any help is much appreciated.
I bought new and the stock tires lasted 5500 but were showing belts. got about 10 k miles on it now and Im ready to throw some money at it. ie risers, taller shield, murphs pegs etc. just wish i didnt have to drop 200-300 bucks for tires every couple of months.  :'(

HI Joe,

I also have a 2011 Connie and commute daily with a 128 mile R/T (North Jacksonville, FL to St. Augustine) and so far have nearly 12,000 miles on the stock Bridgestones with plenty of tread depth left at a steady 42psi. I must say that I am very impressed with the mileage wear on the tires, especially after hearing the stories of 3-4K out of tires. So far, I am looking at replacing the tires at around 15K and will will stick with the Bridgestones.

But of course, with this being a Florida bike, the tires do have that famount Florida wear strip.  :)

Continental has an ad in my new Motorcyclist magazine for a high mileage touring tire. Perhaps a straight touring tire is what you need.

Hey guys, thanks for the input. Guess I'm just way more aggressive with the throttle and rear brake than i thought. I met a guy a couple of days ago with 6k on his pr3 with hardly any ware. He was an older guy though.  ;)  OK so Ill give the pr3 a second chance. The front still looks great by the way. Oh and thank you Pope for the factory specs...really?
So what are you high mileage commuters using for wind shields? I'm looking at the v-stream. 6' 2" 33" inseam.
Cheers, Joe

You did ask for "size". I guess that I could of answered with "None, because the 880's don't come in a size for the C-14."

If you would have asked "What's a good long lasting touring tire?" Then I would have responded like others have.

Also, I did make light of my answer too.  That was what ;) was for. Sorry that you took it seriously.