• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

'85 Honda V^65 Sabre, VF1100S

danodemotoman

COG 2877
Below is the URL for my chronological moto photo history including the V65 Sabre, thanks to the internet for historical photos: http://tinyurl.com/bm857n Got the Sabre out for a short spin last week after finally buying a new battery, Had been charging it for every ride the last three years. Don't like to let it sit all winter so if there is a dry day. I have it wired for the electric clothing also. Brr a naked bike in WA state winter is no fun. This bike was bought by my late brother Mark. We went to Renton WA Honda summer of '87 as they had a large ad in the Valley News advertising sales of bikes that had been in warehouses for some time during the early/mid '80's recession. This bike sold for 'about' $4k new and it was $2715 on this sale. I was only part time employed so getting a new bike was not an option. Mark did not ride much and never in inclement weather so the bike was a low mileage garage queen when I became the owner. He only put on 10k mi in those 18 years. I tried to buy the bike several times later but wasn't til he was moving to NM in 2005 that he was ready to sell it. Cosmetic it nearly perfect but needed hrs of replacing fluids and carb overhaul. Getting those carbs out between the V4 cyl was difficult as the carb boots were age hardened. Had to replace those boots before carb install. A modern classic I call it. A hunert HP is still respectable these days. Thanks for listening. I miss my brother Mark as we had many experiences together. We go along for a ride together on his bike.

That is one very pretty machine you have and I hope you enjoy that smooth V4 power. A friend of mine has both the V65 Sabre & Magna. He picked up both of his used and one still needs a little work but he loves those Hondas. Another friend of mine bought one of the very first 750 Interceptors. I remember picking it up in Boston in the middle of a snowstorm and hauling it back. We had to go to Boston because they were the first dealer in New England to get them. All those Honda V4's were pretty awesome bikes. Pat & Sher in Ma. 04 Dark Angel 87 Ninja 600rx 84 Guzzi T-5

Great bike Dan, I had the same one, bought it new as a left over in '87 for $2995. Out of the bikes I've had it's the one I miss the most - I still love the looks of it. Wish I had room to put another one in the garage.

Sean and all, I built a large shop in 2003 for projects and maintenance so the bikes ready to ride (4) are in the garage!! He ya! Van and pu parked outside, they get no respect! heck they are weather proof.

Gotta love those old V4's. mama has an 82 Magna V45 in the garage. She almost NEVER rides it. I'm sure it hasn;t been started in 6 months easy. Poor scooter! I know what you mean about tough carbs to pull too. I reckon these will be due again.

I worked for Honda of Clearwater in 1982 and we had a V45 Magna with a whine in the transmission. Our lead mechanic took it apart then quit, so I got the job. Honda had mismatched the 6th gearset and it had one 5th and one 6th. It had a whine and Honda flew a rep out because he didn't believe us. They replaced the engine on the bike.... though I heard these engines were tough on cams. I like the V-4 and wish someone would make a good bike based on it. I have a hard time getting excited about the VFR I suppose because it is so heavy, and it's a Honda. I rode a Madura once and it was great - totally vibration free and hauled you know what! David in Jax, FL COG# 7898 CDA # 2002 ZZR-1200 "Magic Carpet" 2004 Suzuki Intruder 1500 LC "Luxury Couch"

I had an 82 V45 Sabre prior to buying my Vulcan. I wish I still had it. it was a great bike. Finniky about spark plugs though.

Here's a project Magna in Lake City FL http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcy/1067259616.html David in Jax, FL COG# 7898 CDA # 2002 ZZR-1200 "Magic Carpet" 2004 Suzuki Intruder 1500 LC "Luxury Couch"