• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

87 zg1000 cam chain replacement

kawani

Training Wheels
Anybody have any advice on changing the cam chain, Tips, Tricks etc. I am leary of the one on my bike as the cam chain tensioner was trashed when I bought it, it was as far out as it would go and was still noisy so I am betting it is at is limits so I figure I would be better off spending the money on a new chain since I dont have bent valves etc from what I can tell when I did the valve adjustment. any help advice on this would be great. Todd

Well before I replaced it I would measure it to make sure it needed replacing. :) The Clymer or Ma K workshop manual has the specs. Replacing it is pretty straight forward. I would install one of SISF's 7Deg Exhaust Cams while I was in there, and of course adj. the valves. Make sure you set the air-gap of the pickup coils on re-assembly, and use locktite on the cam sprocket bolts. oh and set the engine at TDC before you start. CP
2606714340100596652OGFlOW_th.jpg

As Colin stated, it is pretty much as the manual lists. When I did mine (years ago) I also replaced both of the guides, but the one on the front side of the engine was a PITA. Also it wasn't worn that much. With that under my belt I'll only be replacing one guide on the next one, the rear one. Also agree to go with Steve's 7 degree advance. tcars John

what does this gain me changing to SISF's 7Deg Exhaust Cams versus the cam thats there? and where does one go to get it? Todd

Steve is on here, just do a search for 'Steve in Sunny Fl' in the southeast region. He is the one who has it. As for what it will do, I'll let him explain, that way you will get accurate info. hth, tcars John

Kawi, In Colin's post he said exhaust cam, what he meant was exhaust cam sprocket. It is a pretty simple procedure if you have the cover off anyway. Colin altered my sprocket at a wrench section a couple of years ago through an agreement with Steve. It really improves low end , lets her pull from idol to speed much smother. Well worth the few bucks it costs. Maybe someone can post Steve's web link for you. COG # 8062 AMA # 1084053 ROMA or Scarlet harlot acording to my wife

It's not a different cam, it's new sprocket for the exhaust cam that I've re-located the mounting holes on. The idea is to re-time the cam relative to the piston and intake cam to reduce overlap and trap a higher air charge in the cylinder at lower rpms. The result is better lower rpm torque, better throttle response, with no hit to top end power or fuel economy. Since ypu're going to replace the chain, you'll be pulling the sprockets anyway, and most would probably swap the sprockets just as a matter of course. Steve