• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

96 gpz1100 carb jetting question

Motorcyclerider

I’m going the 36mm carb route. I’d bought a set of 86 ninja 1000 carbs from eBay but they were missing the slide spring, needle, and plastic needle holds as welll as the top carb cap. I found 96 gpz1100 carbs and pulled the trigger. I’m curious as to what jetting I should use. I got the correct intake boots for the 36 mm carbs and boots from the airbox to carbs. I’m using the c10 airbox. I’m thinking the 35 pilots and 125 mains the c10 carbs use would be the correct jets for the application although I’m not sure. Ninja carbs use 130 mains but I think they have a ram air feature. If I look up the gpz carbs on a Kawasaki oem parts website they offer smaller main jets. Like 108-115. Which makes things a little more confusing although the airbox doesn’t have ram air and may not flow as well as the c10. I can’t afford a wide band at the moment to datalog and get precise afr measurement. I suppose I could either restrict or open up the c10 airbox to determine which direction to go in. Anyone have any input. I’ve also got a set of 86 zx1000 carbs but I’m missing an outer needle and can’t find one anywhere. Kawasaki doesn’t offer it. The carbs use specific needle for the two outer carbs and two inner carbs so I’m not sure getting another set of needles would work and wouldn’t even know where to start trying to figure out what other needles I could use. Any help from you veterans would be greatly appreciated. I’ve always been a Mx guy I’m 38. I bought the concours because it keeps me warm, has plenty of storage, good power and handling and the more time I spend on a bike the better I’ll be on the Mx track. Plus there’s nothing like winding here through the backroads scraping the pegs.

Attachments

• 1C38E1A6-896B-4FB6-B3C8-8D512D0220CE.jpeg
    1C38E1A6-896B-4FB6-B3C8-8D512D0220CE.jpeg
    150.8 KB · Views: 53
Justin,
I'll tell you as much as I can remember about how SISF set up a set of 36mm ZX1000R carbs for me.

First off, when I installed them, I also installed a set of Steve's power cams. These were a custom ground set of cams SISF was selling way back when, I think he only had 10 sets made.

I sent my ZX carbs down to him to go through and set up for the cam conversion. The main jets were I believe 115's and the pilot jets were stock, 35 or 37 I think. The needles were replaced with an aftermarket set that I can't remember, factory pro maybe. Steve afterwards had me change out the slide springs with ZRX springs. Kawa #92145-1064. The bike ran great and on the dyno showed to be running a little rich. This was all based on his 2mm jetting where you blocked off some of the air box intake to fine tune the AFR. I got the highest HP numbers by opening up the blockage in the air box and with that lost some of the light throttle sharpness his 2mm jetting is known for. I'm pretty sure, but not certain that I changed the main jets to 112.5 when I put the 1052 overbore kit on but never got it back on the dyno. I can tell you though, the throttle response when I was finished had a much better feel than the 32's ever had. I also averaged around 45+ mpg.

If you go forward with this project, I suggest you reach out to SISF, he might remember more of the details.

P.S. I think I remember Steve saying he drilled out the enrichening jets slightly also. He was running 36mm carbs on his C10 1109 build.

Joe C

Justin,
I'll tell you as much as I can remember about how SISF set up a set of 36mm ZX1000R carbs for me.

First off, when I installed them, I also installed a set of Steve's power cams. These were a custom ground set of cams SISF was selling way back when, I think he only had 10 sets made.

I sent my ZX carbs down to him to go through and set up for the cam conversion. The main jets were I believe 115's and the pilot jets were stock, 35 or 37 I think. The needles were replaced with an aftermarket set that I can't remember, factory pro maybe. Steve afterwards had me change out the slide springs with ZRX springs. Kawa #92145-1064. The bike ran great and on the dyno showed to be running a little rich. This was all based on his 2mm jetting where you blocked off some of the air box intake to fine tune the AFR. I got the highest HP numbers by opening up the blockage in the air box and with that lost some of the light throttle sharpness his 2mm jetting is known for. I'm pretty sure, but not certain that I changed the main jets to 112.5 when I put the 1052 overbore kit on but never got it back on the dyno. I can tell you though, the throttle response when I was finished had a much better feel than the 32's ever had. I also averaged around 45+ mpg.

If you go forward with this project, I suggest you reach out to SISF, he might remember more of the details.

P.S. I think I remember Steve saying he drilled out the enrichening jets slightly also. He was running 36mm carbs on his C10 1109 build.

Joe C
I ordered a concours jet kit from factory pro with 115 and 118. The gpz 36 have 110. I also have 120,125, and 135. I’ve got a set of zx1000 carbs. The slide springs have far less tension then the gpz. I’ll use those. If the slides open too fast it will lose velocity and likely torque and ride ability. I read elsewhere steve had someone use cb900 slide needles. I’ve got a cbr 1000f that got smashed when someone t bones me so maybe those needles could work well. I’ll start with the 115 main and go from there i guess. I ordered a cam degree wheel I’m going to try to make my own 7 degree advance cam sprocket and use the zx cams as I can get power cams. It runs great right now. If I don’t like the way it runs with the 36’s and the zx cams I’ll drop the mains in the 32’s to 120 and run the advance cam gear and call it a day.