• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

A couple COG Questions.

ConcoursKZ

Sport Tourer
Are paid memberships on the rise, decline or staying about the same?
Are the Nationals larger or smaller in attendance?
Are local events attended well in your area or declining?
Are Forum Posts Up or Down?
Are the variety of posters up or down or is it basically a select few of the members?

Interesting questions, none of which I'm truly qualified to answer but ... .

The Membership director can answer the question on the paid membership. I have no clue.

Attendance at Nationals is higher in areas where there are more members than in areas where membership is geographically sparse. In other words, if people have to travel long distances to get there there are fewer attendees.  Nationals in the SE or NE (or close to the borders of those regions) will draw more attendees than Nationals further away.

Attendance at local events is highly dependent upon weather.  We just concluded a RTE between NC/SC that had great weather and had a very credible attendance.  The SECOG's Spring regional rally is next weekend and has almost 50 folks registered. That's more than we've had the past couple of Springs.

Forum postings tend to go up during the cooler months and drop during the better riding season so you'r going to have to be more specific.

The majority of the membership has never been particularly active on the forum so that's not a particularly valid metric. Postings on the forum has always been (basically) a select few.

Tim,
Interesting questions but not really COG related in their essence.  The answer to most if not all of them is probably "they are lower/fewer."

But there is a decrease pretty much across the board in motorcycle related industries and clubs.  There was a sharp jump in motorcycle sales about 10 years ago when fuel prices began to hit $4 in a lot of places.  I mean sales were at record highs and all motorcycle related industry reaped the benefits of the boom.  More recently there are a number of factors influencing that market that have busted sales within the industry back by a large margin.  Cheaper fuel. An aging out base of population that is reducing or eliminating their riding.  Take a look at used motorcycle values and you'll get the picture.  With C-10s going at giveaway prices, there are still a lot remaining on the market unsold.  The C-14 has had a huge crash in resale value the past two years also as a result of a shrinking market despite the relatively high price of new machines.

Bottom line is that a reduction in membership and in activities of all kinds has to be expected to follow the trends to some degree.  Fortunately, our club has done particularly well, I believe, considering these market factors and our typical demographic.  Yes, we are fewer in paid membership.  How that will affect us long term and how it will continue to trend are still somewhat unknown, but we are monitoring these things and discussing them from time to time.  Are we in a panic because our numbers are lower than they were a couple of years ago?  Not at all.  We are mindful of the trends and the effects upon all of motorcycling as a whole and, at least I believe, we are fairing better than many if not most other groups.  Would we like to increase our numbers?  Yes? No? Maybe?  I don't know.  As far as I'm concerned, if a bunch of COGgers can get together and have a great time riding and sharing in each other's lives at... say Cliff's or the Run with the Wolves or a National event, then we're doing what we intend and want to do for membership regardless of how many that is.  We are NOT numbers driven, we are more about quality of experience.  Always have been, I hope we always will be.

ConcoursKZ,

Great questions. I do not have any answers. If you are a six sigma black belt. Someone could provide you with the exact answers to your questions and that would be it, however, data has a funny way in some disciplines to be subjective in some circles and this might be one. What end are you considering with these questions or would that contaminate the responses?

The overall organized run/rally situation has changed a lot since the mid 70's and again the mid'80s.i went on my 1st organized poker run in 1971 sponsored by an AMA club(Watsonville EZ Riders) most were on Harleys I have always rode what I had,which at that time was 1971 Honda CL100.In the mid to late '70s I was in the Army in Washington and runs were available there and in Oregon.But probably the best times were after I returned to California in'81,in '82 one of my roommates was lured into more riding with me and our group tended to always be 5 up to 10 or 12.Of course I started calling Wednesday right through Saturday and Sunday mornings.During this time No.Cal. had AMA Dist.36 and the SRRA(Sierra Road Riders Assn.),we sometimes could hit 3 poker runs a weekend.Then I took a turn for the groups worst and all but 3 of us disappeared,followed by myself and then there was only1. When I returned 10+ years ago that same one and another of us in Texas were still riding.But dialysis kept me anchored close to home,but the SRRA had gone poof and AMA Dist 36 is now but a shadow of itself.Sorry to say this but my observation was that HOG and other brand or model centered groups had contributed to these changes.But here locally it is still the Harley riding groups that maintain leading these many types of runs/rallies.Also the computer attached folks don't have enough resolve to make time for this type of motorcycle fun,same as the rest that are just spread to thin.    Jerry "The Wizard" Gaither

Just wondering the state of sport touring. I figured with the longevity of this site and members it would give a good snapshot as to the way participation and the way it's trending. This is a pretty diverse group with a long history.

This would be great questions to see answered in an issue of the Concourier?

At least in CA there seems to be more bikes than ever, So  I sometimes question the overall decline in motorcycle-ship...

I think kids these days are more safety-conscious than ever, and more so with each generation, and motorcycles don't fit their definition of safe. To them it's just something the old farts do.

When we were kids, there were no jet skis ( personal watercraft) or ATVs (4 wheelers), either, just some snow mobiles. I'd really like to see a comparison of the total motorsports industry sales figures compared to 1978 and adjusted for inflation.

I think the development and marketing of those other units have siphoned off some "discretionary hobby dollars."

Sport Touring has been diluted by the ADV bike crowd, especially one up only riders.

A substantial fraction of former ST riders have migrated away to the ADV side......still two wheels but a different focus.

kv5e said:
Sport Touring has been diluted by the ADV bike crowd, especially one up only riders.

A substantial fraction of former ST riders have migrated away to the ADV side......still two wheels but a different focus.
I agree.  The ADV's seem to be taking over.  Take a look at the photos from the PA-MD COG ride from yesterday.  There isn't a single Concours in that photo.  The group I rode with was made up of two-C-10's, a BMW ADV, a Gen-1 C-14, and a Gen-2 C-14.  The other group riding group was mainly BMW's and a Spyder. 

Favorite2018Road.jpg

Favoriteroads2018.jpg

4Bikes said:
kv5e said:

I agree.  The ADV's seem to be taking over.  Take a look at the photos from the PA-MD COG ride from yesterday.  There isn't a single Concours in that photo.  The group I rode with was made up of two-C-10's, a BMW ADV, a Gen-1 C-14, and a Gen-2 C-14.  The other group riding group was mainly BMW's and a Spyder. 

Favorite2018Road.jpg

Favoriteroads2018.jpg

I am lucky that I have a wife who wants to ride as pillion. As a matter of fact, its hard to go riding without Pamela gearing up!

The ADV styled bikes are not pillion oriented, so the ST side is more appealing to me.

What's important is to keep the fellowship and riding times active. Organize great events and get the word out to others.

9 to 11 hrs in the saddle a day.......give me a C14 or Wing any day!

Big Bend back roads or Big Bend Ranch State Park, a KLR or Versys would be on my shortlist. Probably trailer there on the smaller displacement bikes. There are a lot of reasons to ride......pick yours, pick your friends and roads, and get the kickstands up.

Here's a thought about how to increase membership levels. {Clipped it from another discussion}

I'll probably get yelled at for mentioning this; {But, I ain't a sissy!!}

COG exists because of the actions of the "minority" of our Members.
  That minority; step up to run the club on put on events.
  The majority; enjoy the Club and Rally's, but don't contribute by arranging events/etc.

If more of the members will put on more small Rally's, both the number and the size of rally's will increase.
As that happens, more folks will join COG and everything will continue to grow...

Bottom line; More Rally's = More People.  "and"  More people = More Rally's...

I know that this isn't exactly the answer your looking for, but it's a simple truth.

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Putting on a Rally,, "includes" arranging small day rides, and gatherings, or taking part in the Bigger events as part of the team.

4Bikes said:
kv5e said:

Favorite2018Road.jpg

Favoriteroads2018.jpg

Something depressing about these photos...not sure what it is.
Maybe cause they ain't smiling. Not on Connies.

Not sure...

The pictures look like there are taken candidly, smiles would be a plus but not expected necessarily.

Insofar as "connies", I become increasingly bike agnostic to riders until I learn more about their personal motivations and preferences.

I think you are posting tongue-in-cheek, but sooner or later riders decide on other scoots and/or they may have more than one in the stable.

One thing is for sure, they are not sitting on the couch and being inert blobs of protoplasm, they are out riding, all according to their desires.

It is a brother/sisterhood, and as long it is two wheels and moving down the road it is riding! :motonoises: :beerchug:

Most of the COG riders I know have two or more bikes.  Just from my ride on Sunday that I know of.....
C-10 Red and C-10 Blue
C-14, C-10, Versys, Spyder
C-10, Wing
C-14, FJR, Kawi Z-900RS
R1200, C-10
R-1200 GS, C-10

I never know which one will roll into the parking lot  :motonoises:  They weren't smiling yet, because they weren't riding yet.  Makes sense to me......

More safety conscious,please?How old do you think these stunt riding down city streets and freeways individuals are.I see these younger riders as being in the same mindset with mc's as they are with other vehicles and they wouldn't be drawn to the majority of COG's members.Way to docile and quasi law abiding we are. Not sure what I said but good night.    Jerry

The Wizard said:
More safety conscious,please?How old do you think these stunt riding down city streets and freeways individuals are.I see these younger riders as being in the same mindset with mc's as they are with other vehicles and they wouldn't be drawn to the majority of COG's members.Way to docile and quasi law abiding we are. Not sure what I said but good night.    Jerry

I think you're on to something there Wiz.  It's definitely a cultural mindset type of thing.  Today's youth are not "joiners" but more individualistic in many ways.

The Wizard said:

Not sure I am buying that. Have you ever ridden with a group of 8 COG members on a country road in Kentucky? I can confirm that they drive 45 MPH over the average age of the group.

ConcoursKZ said:
The Wizard said:

Not sure I am buying that. Have you ever ridden with a group of 8 COG members on a country road in Kentucky? I can confirm that they drive 45 MPH over the average of the group.
I didn't want to be the only one to bring that up.  :-X  There is a to be unnamed guy on a C-10 that can ride the heck out of it, and the pace is let's say brisk and don't be in his way or you will be seeing his taillights.  The other COG guys I ride with regularly are so smooth, by default they are unnoticeably fast pace riders.  I bet those squids on sport bikes couldn't keep up.  :motonoises:

I have an idea;everybody start asking any and all riders you see why they do or don't ride with organized groups,rallies and runs.Codgers they will call us are to sedate,they are individualistic in a different manner than we were in the '60's and '70's and '80's.  Just me ramblin' on.          The Wizard

I meant in general, kids today aren't as interested in bikes, yes, there will always be some that are not typical, and the groups that do these things are very noticeable, but they are a very small percentage of the population.

The Wizard said:

Most of the riders I see are older, I've never personally seen a group or even an individual stunt riding anywhere... except on You-Tube.