• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

A question regarding GenMar Bar risers

delling3

Road Bike
I went to adjust the spring preload on the forks of my C-10 this morning.  Since there are bar risers installed, I proceeded to remove the handle bars to gain access to the adjusters.  I was somewhat surprised to find no set-screws installed on the left side fork.  Both were in place on the right.  I assume that when the risers were installed the the PO simply forgot to install them.  Hard to believe that the left side both vibrated out. 

So this got me to thinking.  What exactly is the role of the set screw.  It doesn't seem to add anything to the installation.  What am I missing?  Now I am off to the hardware to see if I can get some set screws (not too optomisitic).  If I can't locate replacment, can I just use one on each side?  I am leaving on a 4-day trip tomorrow . . .

Chris,

I've had GenMar risers for years, and about the only purpose I can think of for the set screws is to keep the riser square on the mount as you're bolting the handlebar down.  Once the bolts are in, the set screws seem completely superfluous.  And yes; I do believe they can vibrate out because I only have one on the one side and I know I started with two each.  I'd move one of the rights over to the left just for appearance sake, but then I'm the type that can't walk past a crooked picture on the wall without straightening it. 

the original intent of the setscrews was to hold the short "insert" tube in place, this is the one that sits on top of the fork tube, and allows using the original fork cap cover..

http://www.genmarmfg.com/kawasakis.html

I caution about tightening a cup point set screw on the fork tube, as it will create a divot on the fork tube, and you will have difficulty removing the tripple tree, or the fork tube itself, at a later date. You will end up having to file down that displaced metal caused by the cup point of the setscrew digging into the fork tube.

Thanks Guys -

I was happily surprised to find the needed missing set screws at my hardware.  Seems like they have a pretty limited selection of metric stuff, and I have been disappointed more often than not. 

I reinstalled the setscrews with some blue loctite.  Should prevent them from vibrating out in the future.  I still am not certain that they are needed, but since I could find them I put them in. 

Solomookie said:
And yes; I do believe they can vibrate out because I only have one on the one side and I know I started with two each.
I haven't even looked at mine in a while, but last time I did, some (I don't even remember how many) had vibrated out.  Haven't bothered replacing them, and with 67k on the bike, almost all of it with the risers installed, (and probably missing the set screws) I'm not going to worry about them.