• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

a total noob in Katy, TX

icecadavers

Training Wheels
Hi all, my name is Kellin. I actually joined back in February, but I'm extremely lazy about my internet (I apologize in advance for this, also to rsmith for losing an email under a pile of spam :blush:) so aside from some lurking this is my first visit to the forums. This looks to be a great community to be a part of, though, and I'm looking forward to getting to know you guys more. By "total noob" I mean a (near)complete neophyte, not just to the Connie but to motorcycles on the whole. Last November my poor Sebring was totaled (RIP, Great White Bumper-car :() and, along with a fortuitous settlement, the fates presented to me the opportunity to buy a C10 for - even considering her malnourished condition - dirt cheap, along with a free helmet and riding lessons. Perhaps it's foolish for a first bike to be a 1000cc leviathan, but I couldn't pass it up, and despite my recent troubles (which I'll save for another post in the proper forum) I have no regrets; I've been riding daily for a few months now and have almost no desire to own a car ever again. Anyhow, I'm glad to be here, and I'm sure I have much to gain - hopefully to share as well - among your ranks. Kellin Mavis COG #9068 Houston, TX '95 Concours "Nausicaa"

Welcome Kellin, alot to learn here. The Conc is a great mile-muncher! 01 Conc, Mijami Floriduh OTP 06: http://tinyurl.com/2vk9o2 route map: http://tinyurl.com/4p7pmd
yzdfi9.jpg
yzdfib.jpg
yzdfia.jpg
y6x7zt.jpg

Please try to take a MSF course in your area. I have been riding 2 years, had a 250 and 500 Honda, and moving to the Connie has been quite an experience. I call it my first real motorcycle, but the lessons and practice I have put in after taking the course have been invaluable and have saved my bacon more than once. Having said that, welcome - I envy you for having a such a machine as your first ride. It will take a while for your skills to become equal to the bike you have purchased. 1983 Yahama XS650 Heritage Special (Sold) 1989 Honda VTR250 Interceptor 1982 Honda GL500 Silver Wing 1999 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000

WELCOME KELLIN: RANGER JIM IS THE ONE TO LISEN TO KELLIN. HE IS OUR SAFY OFFICER AND ALSO A MSF RIDING INSTRUCTOR IF I AM CORRECT. TAKE THE COURSE. AND GET THE BIKE FIXED CORRECTLY. BEING BEHIND THE BIKES ABILITYS AND YOURS IS DANGEROUS TO YOU AND YOUR HEILTH. IF I CAN BE OF ANY ASSESTANCE LET ME KNOW I AM ABOUT 5 HOURS AWAY FROM YOU BUT MAY BE ABLE TO ASSEST. SILVER DRAGON STEVE C.

Steve, thanks for the kind words. Kellin, while I wouldn't, typically, recommend a Connie as a "starter" bike I do know of seveal folks who have started and stayed with one. I would encourage you to complete the MSF Basic Rider Course ASAP. Once you've got that under your belt you can start getting the feel of your Connie. She's a big girl, top heavy (7.5 gal. of gas will do that) and she's got a pretty high CG so slow speed manuevers can be tricky. When you're travelling at slow speeds, try to avoid using the front brake; it's pretty powerful at slow speeds and when that wheel stops (usually) the bike goes down enabling you to join the CDA (Connie Droppers Assn.). Take your time. Practice. Practice. Practic. Should you have any questions, let us know. We're here to help you.

Kellin Hi, I am your Area Director. I just added rides to the calendar and one of them is in your area. Start slow and take time to practice on that new bike in a parking lot or something even if you take a course. It is a big monster at slow speeds. Drops are not cheap unless the bike came with tip over bars. Let me or your area asst. director, Brad, know if you need anything. Our contact #s are in the SC area pages link on the front page here. Photos[/url]

Thanks for the warm welcome and the advice, guys... but I guess I misrepresented myself a tiny bit. I'm not 100% noob - I was when I got the bike in January, but I've been riding roughly 40 miles a day since then. I do have a few stories for CDA, too, I'll be posting those soon. I am going to take a MSF soon, because even as comfortable as I am on my Connie already it would be foolish to assume I had nothing to learn; also Texas made the MSF a requisite to get an M license as of last October so eventually I have to no matter what. It's just been a matter of getting a free weekend (not easy as a waiter) to take one through my community college - they only have them at their North Houston campus, two hours away - or else pay twice as much for the same course at the nearby Harley dealership :GAG: Once again thank you, but fyi I am well past the parking lot :) though as kznny said, it will still be some time before my skills are on par with my bike Kellin Mavis COG #9068 Houston, TX '95 Concours "Nausicaa"