• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

A whole new Idea, I like

I'd like to see a video of a rear tire change on that bike.
But yes, just under $42k is a budget buster.

Man.... if I had money like that.... The TS Ultra has a range of 230 miles and has 885(!!!) lb-ft of torque.... That would be an AMAZING machine.... Though it is kinda slow. Top speed of 124. So even a C10 could outrun it eventually....

Be interested to see how much power is limited on takeoff; there's no motorcycle tire that could take an instant 885 lb ft of torque and not break traction. And if there is, I WANT those tires ASAP, lol.

-Z

I actually do have a question about electric bikes (and vehicles in general) for the electrical engineers on here; I've noticed that electric bikes always tout their torque numbers, but the top speed of the bike is super low. Is this due to the battery density? Meaning, could I technically acheive a MUCH higher top speed with the same motor and battery, at the cost of range? And if that's the case, is the only thing holding back electric motorcycles from acheiving range AND top speed and torque the quality of the batteries? For instance, if we were to find ourselves in the Fallout (video game series) universe, with consumer nuclear batteries, would an electric bike be the ultimate transportation? With range, speed, and torque?

I like the idea of having a completely silent bike to do trail riding on. Nothing will replace the character of an ICE, but for a utility vehicle, a 3.0 version of a KLR 650 with a 1000 mi range battery and a top speed of 90 mph, keeping all the rest the same, would be an ideal machine for getting out into the wilderness....

-Z

Last edited:
if we were to find ourselves in the Fallout (video game series) universe, with consumer nuclear batteries, would an electric bike be the ultimate transportation? With range, speed, and torque?
That would be super cool to have. I would say the battery is the limiting factor for now.
I have an electric trail bike that has torque from hell, but the top speed is about 30MPH. If it could do 65MPH, the range would probably drop to half or less than what it gets now, which ain't much. I don't drive it during the winter as the manual states flat out the cold air will kill it, so I store the battery indoors until spring.

Look at the rover crawling all over Mars. It has an atomic battery and it moves very slow, but will do so until the wheels fall off.

Look at the rover crawling all over Mars. It has an atomic battery and it moves very slow, but will do so until the wheels fall off.

Or even better, the RTGs on Voyager 1 and 2. Still trucking after all these years...

Imagine if our consumer electronics were made to that standard....

-Z

It has to do with the design of the motor, the voltage from the battery, gearing, etc.
Most EV motors use permanent magnets in the rotor for more torque and efficiency. At high motor speeds, this causes a loss in torque.
Where an ICE motor (especially high power ones) have more power at high speeds, EV motors often have the peak around 50% of their max speed.
If you want high torque, you need high current. High current often means lower voltage (parallel cells, not series). That lower voltage will limit your high speed power even more.