• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

ABS constant on?

elektradw

Moped
Applying front brake pressure, even mildly at low speeds, sure feels like the abs is on. There is a definite fast pulsating that would be indicitive of abs actuation. I'm talking about on dry pavement, and at all speeds. The dealer said it might be a warped rotor but I doubt this because it doesn't happen all the time; especially when you just start up and the pulsations are too fast and too similar to abs function. I would assume that restarting the bike like restarting any computer clears the ECU or whatever electronic component controls the abs. The bike is a 2011 and has 5600 miles on it. I use mostly engine braking and have never had to panic stop the bike. Has anyone else experienced this kind of abs malfunction? Thanks in advance.

There have been many cases of warped rotors on 08 and 09 bikes, and it causes a pulsation in the front brake lever like you describe, most often after the brakes are heated up. Though Kawasaki supposedly redesigned the rotors in 2011 to try to correct this, but I think some of the early production model 2011's didn't get the new rotors, cause I looked at one at the IMS show last November and they were the same.

I suspect your dealer is right, and you have a problem with one or both front rotors. I'd get him to replace them.

Fred_Harmon_TX said:
I suspect your dealer is right, and you have a problem with one or both front rotors. I'd get him to replace them.

My 2011 does not exhibit the ABS sensation you describe during normal use.  I agree with Fred and would see how things are after both rotors are replaced.

cablebandit said:
Are you applying the back brake at all?  That will affect the front lever with the linked brake system.

:iagree:

I normally feel this pulsing when I have the brakes in "High Combined" mode and I'm using the rear in addition to the front brake lever. When I'm using just the front or I'm in the "Low Combined" mode, I rarely feel the pulsing (except for a couple of "Oh Sh*t!" moments).  ;D