• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Accessing the GPX files....

smithm1979

Looking to do the Spring Fling Rally in Wellsboro, will be my first COG event. I can't seem to figure out how to download and view the GPX files, consider myself somewhat tech savvy. I got it to download and get on a google map but the route is on Google Maps appears to be more "as the crow flies" and doesn't follow the roads. What am I doing wrong? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

It's not you... it's that Google Maps does not fully support GPX files, and acts exactly as you stated.

The GPX routes/files were prepared using Garmin Basecamp, and this is the preferred method to view and modify if you are using a Garmin GPS.

In the Education section of the online COG Member Library are links to a 10 part series Garmin GPS & Basecamp Training Webinar

It's not you... it's that Google Maps does not fully support GPX files, and acts exactly as you stated.

The GPX routes/files were prepared using Garmin Basecamp, and this is the preferred method to view and modify if you are using a Garmin GPS.

In the Education section of the online COG Member Library are links to a 10 part series Garmin GPS & Basecamp Training Webinar
All the more reason to use a paper map and a highlighter! :)
Basecamp challenged for life!
jason

Thanks for the answers! So.... If you're NOT using a Garmin GPS, are there any options? I tried using gpx viewer app on Android but didn't have any luck there. Is ideally like to use my phone for navigation but if that's not going to work I guess it's back to the drawing board. Thanks