• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Adding an accessory power outlet

alskowi

Big Wheel
I’m not having any luck searching for information on adding an accessory power outlet to my 2011 Connie. Any help with part and installation information would be appreciated.

alz said:
I’m not having any luck searching for information on adding an accessory power outlet to my 2011 Connie. Any help with part and installation information would be appreciated.

I started looking into this too, and the first thing I did was check on the price of the socket on the right side, as I wanted them to both look the same.  However, after seeing the price was around $100 for that glorified cigarette lighter socket, I'll live with them not being identical.

Most auto parts stores have them for $10 to $20, but I'm looking for a Marine grade unit with a rubber seal cap / plug.  There are plenty to choose from on eBay, for around $8.

As for installation, the blank plug on the left side of the dash (next to the headlight adjuster) is were I'm going to put mine.  Behind that plug is a metal plate with a small square hole in it.  The hole needs to be enlarged, which can be done with a rotary (Dremel) tool.  I'm planning on running a fused wire directly from the battery (hot all the time), rated for at least 20 amps.

I'll let you know if I get this done in the near future.  Maybe I'll snap some pictures while I'm at it.

Just make sure you insulate where the socket or more important, the wires if they may be near the metal bracket. The outlet/wires can hit or rub on the metal bracket and short the wires, popping the fuse. I had my grip heater switch in the spot and had issues because of the bracket. Of course maybe the outlet and wires may be farther inside which may prevent this. I just figured the I would mention it.

I'm planning on adding a Powerlet plug on the left side or center panel. Another power accessory that I added is a powered tank bag fuel fill ring made by Bag Connection and installed by Twisted Throttle. I will do a complete write up with pics when I have some down time.

I installed a BMW power socket.  I use this to power my electric vest for winter riding and also use it to plug in my Battery Tender Jr. when the bike is parked in the garage.  During roadside tire repairs I also use the outlet to power my electric air pump to fill a tire with air after a plug repair.

You can see the outlet here, scroll towards the bottom of the post.
http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,28322.0.html

Hope that helps.
Doug

Murphs Kits sells a weatherized outlet.

http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_92&products_id=259

Will this Murph's outlet plug into one of the connectors provided by Kawasaki under the rear of the seat on the 2011?

jbod said:
Will this Murph's outlet plug into one of the connectors provided by Kawasaki under the rear of the seat on the 2011?

I never bought one of Murph's outlet. Maybe it will if it comes with the wiring. But you need two bullet connectors to plug into the accessory wires. One male bullet connector for the positive wire. One female for the negative side.

jbod said:

I may be wrong, but I suspect it is a universal accessory and not specific to the Connie. You will have to add the specific connector ends needed.  If Murph's web site does not already state what is included, just shoot him and email.

Thanks for the replies. Has anyone out there used these OEM connectors under the back of the rear seat on the 2011?

jbod said:
Thanks for the replies. Has anyone out there used these OEM connectors under the back of the rear seat on the 2011?

The rear accesory wires on all year C14's should be exactly the same. The only differance being the 2010 and on C14's, only having the 5Amp fuse for the accesory circuit. Where as the 2008 & 09 have the 10Amp fuse.