• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Aerostich 2 piece Roadcrafter or Darien Jack and Pants?

hlh1

I did a search and didn't find this topic since 2014. 

I'm on my second two piece Aerostich Roadcrafter suit in 35 years.  The first lasted about 20 years until I out grew it, and the second is now 17 years old and getting very old and faded, plus I've burned a hole in the right leg on a hot exhaust.  Both suits were red with black ballistics, and both greatly faded. 

I'm now considering a replacement suit, probably an Aerostich again, but I'm open to other ideas in the same price range. I could get another two piece Roadcrafter but I'm considering the Darien jacket and pants.  I like two piece suits because of their versatility. 

Has anyone had both suits and can give thoughts and advice?  I like to wear riding suits over street clothes.  Any other manufacturer offer something similar in price and versatility? 

hlh1 said:
FTB530 said:
Have you looked at Moto Port?

No I haven't, but will now.

I have not used either, just a lot of research about both, I went to Reno about a month ago and tried on a few Aerostitch suits .like both of them, but plan to go to the MotoPort factory before I buy a suit to look them over.

I love my one piece stitch, but in a two piece set i went with KLIM, the badlands pro set. its good gear, waterproof gortex laminate like the darien,  after much research and looking at threads on advrider  I went with the klim the consensus is it offers better venting on the jacket and lots better on the pants. its only a year old with maybe 10k miles on it but its good so far. another thing was i could find it on shelves and size it to fit me.    I take a 48 suitcoat  but wear a 44 vest  my shoulders are way wide so fitting stuff can be challenging.

After looking at other possibilities I'm still leaning toward an Aerostich suit.  I like it that they can repair the suits if needed.  I'm really down to deciding between another 2 piece Roadcrafter or the Darien jacket and pants.  I'd like to hear from anyone who's had both of these and their experience. 

Just placed the order for a Hi-Viz Darien jacket and black AD-1 pants.  Right at $1000!  But, amortized over 10-20 years of use it's cheap. 

I asked the person on the phone about the main difference between the RoadCrafter and Darien and they said "the way it fits".  Guess I'll find out. 

connie_rider said:
I've heard good things about the KLIM.

Ride safe, Ted

Yes, me too, and I've seen them at rallies for sale and on bodies.  They look great, but cost more, and I don't think KLIM has a repair capability like Aerostich does.  Can't really go wrong with either. 

hlh1 said:
Just placed the order for a Hi-Viz Darien jacket and black AD-1 pants.  Right at $1000!  But, amortized over 10-20 years of use it's cheap. 
:iagree: Good post.  I hard to learn the hard way -- buying all kinds of rain gear and mesh gear  and winter and summer and then none of it lasted and none worked really well and then having to carry all that extra cr@p and not to mention the dreaded...Stop under a bridge and hop on one foot trying to put on rain gear---Never again!

I have had the AD-1 pants for many many years. They are truly rain proof. I wear them dirt biking too and in deep mud with 4x4 quads. I love those pants. In hot weather I wear just LD riding shorts and the  AD-1 pants are actually nice and cool because I can vent them and the padding keeps the material off my skin. One pair of pants for year round and for all weather!!  That is the way to go.
I recently bought a Klim jacket but I still have my Aerostich jacket. Excellent gear for all seasons and all weather!
I try and tell people about good gear. One good jacket and one good pair of pants- that is it. nothing more needed- ever!
Also I try and tell people that:    Mesh sucks-- it is  too d@m hot.  Ever  wonder why you dont see Bedouins wearing mesh clothing in the desert? It is because it does not work in hot weather that is why. 
Buy good gear and save a lot of aggravation and money. 
I will stop now.. Thanks for listening

Excellent testimony Mike!

Yes, 30+ years ago I discovered Aerostich and left all of the other gear at home in a box in the attic.  It's great to ride with a Gortex suit, boots, and gloves.  When the rain starts you just keep going.  Thank goodness most of the guys I ride with also have this setup so we don't have to stop for them to hop and around a get drenched while putting on a rain suit.  I also have several friends that have had some amazing "get offs" and only had some bruising while wearing an Aerostich suit, and then the suit was sent in for repairs and is good as new. 

hlh1 said:
Received the suit before Christmas and had my first ride with it today.  I'm very pleased.

So what are your thoughts about the difference in fit between the RoadCrafter and the Darien, now that you've had both?

Differences?  They are different. 

The Darien and AD1 pants are supposed to be "waterproof", where the RoadCrafter is "water resistant".  The RoadCrafter is easier and quicker to get on and off.  The Darien and AD1 are better suited to a more upright riding position, where the Roadcrafter does better with sportier bikes and their forward lean.  The Roadcrafter is lined and the Darin and AD1 are not, saving about $300.  I always wear clothes under my suit so being unlined was not an issue.  :)

I went with the Darien because I don't ride sport bikes anymore and I wanted a waterproof suit.  So far I'm very happy with it. 

I'm happy to hear your opinion.  :beerchug:  I bought a set off from the Emporium late last summer (RoadCrafter) but didn't have a chance to wear them (broke my foot).  I did get to try them on and was very happy with the fit.  I washed them and retreated them (water resistance)...hopefully they will be waterproof enough for me (doesn't rain very hard nor very much here).  They certainly felt comfortable enough for use on the Connie, though. :great:

AmphibSailor said:
I'm happy to hear your opinion.  :beerchug:  I bought a set off from the Emporium late last summer (RoadCrafter) but didn't have a chance to wear them (broke my foot).  I did get to try them on and was very happy with the fit.  I washed them and retreated them (water resistance)...hopefully they will be waterproof enough for me (doesn't rain very hard nor very much here).  They certainly felt comfortable enough for use on the Connie, though. :great:

Over 32 years of Connie riding I've had two RoadCrafters and I've been very pleased with them.  My last Red Roadcrafter I bought in 2000 and it still works great, but it's faded and looks nasty.  17 years is pretty good for a $900 suit, the 2000 price.  In fact, My first roadcrafter bought in 1985 still works great but was red and also faded.  Oh, and I can't fit into the 1986 suit anymore.  I got bigger... 

hlh1 said:
S Smith said:
Love my 17 year old Darien jacket/pants.

Is it getting ugly?  Yet?

Not really... I have grey jacket/black pants. Only the 3M Scotch Brite is getting a bit run down. Both items gets an annual Nikwax wash and waterproof.  Had needed to have repairs done once or twice. Mainly zipper pulls and hook and loop issues.  Replaced the pants at 15 years due to Goretex delamination in the crotch due to walking a lot while wearing the pants (used them as rain pants teaching MSF classes for a season - expensive lesson)

S Smith said:
hlh1 said:
S Smith said:

Not really... I have grey jacket/black pants. Only the 3M Scotch Brite is getting a bit run down. Both items gets an annual Nikwax wash and waterproof.  Had needed to have repairs done once or twice. Mainly zipper pulls and hook and loop issues.  Replaced the pants at 15 years due to Goretex delamination in the crotch due to walking a lot while wearing the pants (used them as rain pants teaching MSF classes for a season - expensive lesson)

Yea, grey and black don't change much over time.  It's also great to be able to get repairs done and not have to replace the entire suit.  Also, guess I'll not use the pants as "walking" pants, and just for riding.  The only issue I had with my second Roadcrafter was the jacket zipper lost some teeth and I had this replaced for $80. 

hlh1 said:
S Smith said:
hlh1 said:
S Smith said:

Yea, grey and black don't change much over time.  It's also great to be able to get repairs done and not have to replace the entire suit.  Also, guess I'll not use the pants as "walking" pants, and just for riding.  The only issue I had with my second Roadcrafter was the jacket zipper lost some teeth and I had this replaced for $80.

BTW - I still wear the "bad" Darien pants to class or riding when no chance of rain.  I've spent less then $200 in repairs in 17-18 years I've had them. The higher initial purchase + repairs still feels more cost effective given the number of years of service.

S Smith said:
hlh1 said:
S Smith said:
hlh1 said:
S Smith said:

BTW - I still wear the "bad" Darien pants to class or riding when no chance of rain.  I've spent less then $200 in repairs in 17-18 years I've had them. The higher initial purchase + repairs still feels more cost effective given the number of years of service.

Yes, the suit is pretty cheap amortized over 17-20 years of service. 

Nice thing about the roadcrafters is ya can sell your old ones on ebay......for a pretty hefty price and offset the cost of the new one .

cra-z1000 said:
Nice thing about the roadcrafters is ya can sell your old ones on ebay......for a pretty hefty price and offset the cost of the new one .

They never really wear out, they just get "funky".  :))

Re Klim, At the National in Helen, they were there. I couldn't find a single thing they make that comes close to fitting me. Their stuff is only for tiny people.

I've finally been able to put some time in the saddle with the new Darien and AD1 pants, and I'm very pleased.  I can tell the Darien jacket is a bit cooler than the Roadcrafter, and that will be a plus in the summer. 

bschulz said:
Re Klim, At the National in Helen, they were there. I couldn't find a single thing they make that comes close to fitting me. Their stuff is only for tiny people.

Aerostich is made in America for us bigger Americans.  :))

I like my one piece Roadcrafter but I do wear a Roadcrafter jacket and Darien pants from time to time on certain trips. The one piece is my go to 80% of the time though unless temps are above the mid 80s most of the day.

roy826 said:
I like my one piece Roadcrafter but I do wear a Roadcrafter jacket and Darien pants from time to time on certain trips. The one piece is my go to 80% of the time though unless temps are above the mid 80s most of the day.

The one piece is so fast to get into. 

hlh1 said:
roy826 said:

The 2 piece is just as fast when used with the elipse combiner zip in...and it also assists when those summer temps climb, as you can have the "option" of removing your jacket when stoped, and getting a slight increase of air flow when the elipse is not zipped in.
After owning a 2 piece foralmost 14 years, I'll add that when you want to wash, and re establish the waterproofing of tyghe surface, the 2 piece fits the washing machine and dryer much easier... I tend to wash the pants 2x more than the jacket, simply because of the road grime on the legs, so its. Great because I don't have to re treat the whole suit to re waterproof.
It also allows for a lot better customizing in sizes, when you want custom ad ins like knee and elbow pad positional dimensions during the manufacture, . And finally, if one section gets damaged, it can be replaced...at a much lower cost...

Just reflecting the benefits I've found over the years, and am glad when I bought my stich, I talked to others that had both, single and 2 piece, to make my specific needs and usage wiser.

I agree MOB.  I've had two, two-piece roadcrafter suits, and now I'm on my third aerostich suit in the darien and AD1 pants.  The two-piece suits give you much more options.

MAN OF BLUES said:
hlh1 said:
roy826 said:

The 2 piece is just as fast when used with the elipse combiner zip in...and it also assists when those summer temps climb, as you can have the "option" of removing your jacket when stoped, and getting a slight increase of air flow when the elipse is not zipped in.
After owning a 2 piece foralmost 14 years, I'll add that when you want to wash, and re establish the waterproofing of tyghe surface, the 2 piece fits the washing machine and dryer much easier... I tend to wash the pants 2x more than the jacket, simply because of the road grime on the legs, so its. Great because I don't have to re treat the whole suit to re waterproof.
It also allows for a lot better customizing in sizes, when you want custom ad ins like knee and elbow pad positional dimensions during the manufacture, . And finally, if one section gets damaged, it can be replaced...at a much lower cost...

Just reflecting the benefits I've found over the years, and am glad when I bought my stich, I talked to others that had both, single and 2 piece, to make my specific needs and usage wiser.

I am used to a one piece leather racing suit so a one piece Stitch just feels best on me. Like I stated I do have the option to split into a two piece setup with a Roadcrafter jacket (which I love) and a pair of Dairen pants. Even with that I still like my one piece better. Hot months I will just wear shorts under the one piece and that works pretty good.

When it's really hot I'll hose down my clothes underneath the suit and I'm cool for hours. 

AmphibSailor said:

You beat me to that set Patrick  :great:

MotoPort kevlar mesh for the majority of my riding will be a lifetime decision I am happy to have made.

But, in the wintry and wet times, when also looking awesome doesn't hurt, I hope to sooner than  later have that same Roadcrafter 2 piece set up - good enough for Neal Pert to cross the earth = good enough for me.

:beerchug:

I took Mikes advice a few years back(about 5) when CAD $ was par or better and purchased the AD1 pants.
They still work well and I throw them in the Freezer every so often. Never been washed except by the rain and still look very much like new.

This spring I purchased a Darien Jacket and AD1 pants as a set off of ebay (can't dream of purchasing new with the $ diff now)for use on my DR 650. The set was 1999 model and as new and rarely worn. (I searched a long time for my size.......) AT the same time I was looking to retire my 10yr old (heavy 4season) getting ratty looking Tourmaster jacket.

While waiting on my First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket to arrive the correct size set came up on Ebay. I decided to see which jacket I preferred...........

Long story short(er) :) I decided to dedicate the ebay set to the DR650 and use the (more better fitting, and looking, and cooling) Kili jacket with AD1's to the FJR.

I have ridden both in rains of biblical proportions multiple times ( all it seems to do this spring) and have been 100% dry on all occasions. (The Kili jacket is half the cost in Canada as a new Darien(before money exchange) and I am very happy with it. )
Just this --Floriduh----Canadian Steve's ;D opinion

On my third two piece Roadcrafter and still loving it.  I did break down and get some mesh gear for the really hot weather an Olympia jacket and First gear pants.  They do make a huge difference when the temps get brutal and if it's that hot I don't mind getting wet!  Lol

Terrynyc said:
On my third two piece Roadcrafter and still loving it.  I did break down and get some mesh gear for the really hot weather an Olympia jacket and First gear pants.  They do make a huge difference when the temps get brutal and if it's that hot I don't mind getting wet!  Lol

Hi,
      If you had bought MOTOPORT..... :-X

You would still be using the original (First) suit! ;D

Just sayin!!! >:D

Attachments

• tumblr_orslm6mk0Z1tpchrmo1_500.jpg
    tumblr_orslm6mk0Z1tpchrmo1_500.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 108
seagiant1 said:
Terrynyc said:

Hi,

Geee
I'm still wearing my first Roadcrafter, which is holding up fine, after "hundreds of thousand" miles of drinking from the fire hose on rides...

When Terry bought his FIRST one, and also when I got mine, Motoport, and Klim, weren't even in business yet...
And people still were wearing animal skins with or without fur, for protection.... :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: I always preferred the Saskatchewan Sealskin ones, they were comfey.... :nananana: :rotflmao:

MAN OF BLUES said:
seagiant1 said:
Terrynyc said:

Hi,

Geee
I'm still wearing my first Roadcrafter, which is holding up fine, after "hundreds of thousand" miles of drinking from the fire hose on rides...

When Terry bought his FIRST one, and also when I got mine, Motoport, and Klim, weren't even in business yet...
And people still were wearing animal skins with or without fur, for protection.... :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: I always preferred the Saskatchewan Sealskin ones, they were comfey.... :nananana: :rotflmao:

Hi,
      LOL!

I can't say what I think of Aerostitch on here :-X

Even though I have! :-[

When I was 13, running the dirt roads of South Georgia, on a Honda Super 90..... :great:

Riding gear, never entered, the ol cabeza! :(

But.....Time fixed that!!! ::)

Attachments

• Zukismile.jpg
    Zukismile.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 102
Only reason the first one went in 8 years was I crash tested it and walked away injury free other than some bruises.  Second one I sized out of after 11 years.  This one I bought in 2012 with a 12% discount on 12/12/12  and its just broken in.  If I hadn't sized out of it the second would still be on me.  That ain't the suits fault bud.

Terrynyc said:
Only reason the first one went in 8 years was I crash tested it and walked away injury free other than some bruises.  Second one I sized out of after 11 years.  This one I bought in 2012 with a 12% discount on 12/12/12  and its just broken in.  If I hadn't sized out of it the second would still be on me.  That ain't the suits fault bud.

Hi,
      Well....People are loyal to their choce of riding gear I guess?

Whether it is the "right" choice is another question it seems!

I have a certain opinion, on certain brands of riding gear (most?) for logical, common sense reasons.

Living in Florida, at this time of year, I get to see people riding bikes, with nothing more than cut offs and flip flops!

I guess they are loyal to that, and would fight you if you tried to "bring them to Jesus!" ;D

Stay safe! :great:

Attachments

• tumblr_os9qloY4q51ska8bio1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_os9qloY4q51ska8bio1_1280.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 96
:rotflmao: :rotflmao:
I think those nekid kids will come to terms with whichever "creater" is appropriate, sooner or later....

Kinda like the first time a person got rip snorting drunk, and spent hours "hugging the porcelain recepticle", while uttering prayers about never doing "that" again... and knowing fully well, history will repeat itself.... again..... :rotflmao: :beerchug:

Amazing how "cool feeling" that cold toilet felt, between horks... :))