• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

AGV Sport Modular Helmet - XL

Daboo

AGV Sport Modular Helmet, size XL. Glossy black. Near perfect condition.

My mistake is your gain. I ordered an XL based on the sizing chart. I should've ordered a Large instead. Otherwise, I love the helmet.

AGV has made probably the lightest modular helmet on the market. It weighs almost a full pound less than other premium helmets...Revzilla says it is 3.2 lbs. Full carbon, including the chin bar. Everything on this helmet is designed to minimize the weight. Even the chin strap D-rings are made of titanium. The visor comes off with the simplest tool-less design I've ever seen. Ventilation is superb. And it also comes with a Pinlock visor insert to keep the visor from fogging.

I like it enough that I didn't hesitate to order another...but in the correct size.

Asking $449.

1693020793410.png

1693020821460.png

1693020846895.png

1693020859471.png

1693020889916.png

Chris

Last edited:
AGV Sport Modular Helmet, size XL. Glossy black. Near perfect condition.

My mistake is your gain. I ordered an XL based on the sizing chart. I should've ordered a Large instead. Otherwise, I love the helmet.

AGV has made probably the lightest modular helmet on the market. It weighs almost a full pound less than other premium helmets...Revzilla says it is 3.2 lbs. Full carbon, including the chin bar. Everything on this helmet is designed to minimize the weight. Even the chin strap D-rings are made of titanium. The visor comes off with the simplest tool-less design I've ever seen. Ventilation is superb. And it also comes with a Pinlock visor insert to keep the visor from fogging.

I like it enough that I didn't hesitate to order another...but in the correct size.

Asking $449.

View attachment 36752

View attachment 36753

View attachment 36754

View attachment 36755

View attachment 36756

Chris
The pinlock lens of an add-on is transferable to your smaller size helmet? If so you will use it eventually.

Is there a reason you canā€™t send the helmet back? RevZilla is awesome on accepting returns - they ask that you donā€™t abuse their flexibility but for helmets we had success in returning:
  • Helmets must be shipped back as they were received in their original helmet bag, box and include all original paperwork and accessories.
BTW - Good that you recognize the right size helmet is critical!

Wayne, Carol & Blue

I bought it from Cycle Gear. I should've returned it immediately, but I trusted the size chart more than my own common sense. It fits nicely...for a short local ride. But go a little longer, and it settles down over my forehead to where it pushes down on any sunglasses I'm wearing. So I thought I could add some padding under the liner. That initially looked like it might work...but nope. By the time I'd finished trying to make it work, it was too late to return it.

I now have a wonderful looking helmet on the recliner in my family room that I just can't make work for me.

Why didn't I return it immediately? The helmet has so many things going for it. I pick it up and a smile comes to my face. It is light. Like really light. Like a feather compared to my Shoei Neotec. You wouldn't think a pound would make that much difference, but when that's roughly 25% of the weight of what your picking up...you notice it. I put in some long days riding down to Utah to the rally in Cedar City, and never had an issue with my neck hurting...which was happening a few times last summer with my Neotec.

This AGV Sportmodular is what I hope Shoei comes out with when they make the Neotec 3. The venting in superb. Simple, but effective. The top vent sucks in air and there's a 3 position rear vent and spoiler to allow for the air to exit. The chin vent actually works! Almost too well. :D It is a direct vent to your face. The reviews are right. Once in awhile, you can feel a bug hit your face. Not a splat, but just the realization that something hard and small just went through. And if it is wide open in a heavy rainstorm, you'll get the occasional drop of water hit the face. Why other helmets aren't made this way, I don't know. Most helmets have a chin vent, but it is useless. Not this one. Even with the visor closed, you can still feel the air moving on the face.

Gosh, what else do I love about the helmet? Did I mention it doesn't weigh much? You start looking around and realize the extent they went to in order to keep the weight down where a full-face helmet would be...but with a modular. The chin strap rings are titanium. That shaves half the weight off. The helmet locking mechanism is titanium, not steel. (I read that somewhere.) When you look at the visor swivel points, they are tiny. Really small. Extremely simple to use. And they also house the chin bar rotation hardware, combining the two pieces of hardware into one. All for weight savings. And this was supposedly the first "carbon" helmet to also have a carbon chin bar. All to keep the weight down.

I really like the visor. It's huge. Checks over the shoulder are really easy. My Shoei has a huge detent when opening the face shield. Not the AGV. There's a positive locking mechanism when fully closed, and the first small opening. Depending on the turbulence, the visor can rattle a bit when opened further, and I just move it to that first locked detent where it is open, but locked. Noise goes away and the ventilation is still coming through. And I didn't notice the visor leaking when in that first open position. As someone who lives and rides in rain, that was amazing to me.

I read somewhere that the AGV Sportmodular is designed to withstand the same forces they design the AGV Pista (their racing helmet) for. I sent an inquiry to AGV's customer service asking what the difference was in their helmets that were certified to the ECE 2205 spec vs the ECE 2206. The reply I got was that the sticker was all the change to the helmets. What they designed in the beginning, still meets the new certification standards. To me, that means some people in their design department didn't just try to get by on the safety standards. But when they designed the helmet initially, their goal was to make the safest helmet possible and not to cut corners.

All that said the weight savings does show up in at least one place. There are three attachment points at the front of the helmet liner. They are made to again minimize weight.; i.e., not super substantial. One broke off partially. Does it make a difference? No. The only time I realize it, is when I'm removing the liner for one more try to make the helmet work. The liner stays in place without it perfectly. Speaking of the liner, it is reversible. One side is designed to cool your head, and the other to warm it. Just one more nice touch.

So...that's a long answer to why I kept trying to make the XL work for me, till it was too late to return it. It's an incredible helmet. I really wanted it to work for me, I couldn't convince myself there wasn't a way to make it work...till I just sucked up my pride and said I made a mistake. Cycle Gear says you can keep it for 30 days and still return it. But if you ride around the block with it once...it's yours. I'm too honest a guy to tell them I haven't ridden with it, even though I think their policy is stupid. And I think they would have a hard time finding proof that it had been ridden in.

But this morning, I ordered a size Large online. I've tried one on, and I know it'll fit. I'm a happy camper.

Chris

Last edited:
FWIW, I contacted AGV's Customer Service and asked what the difference was in the clearance SportModular helmets and the "New" SportModular helmets at Revzilla. The closeout version is $595...and all they have left is the Medium size. The "New" version is $859. That's about a $260 difference...so what did AGV change?

The answer...nothing, except the sticker on the back now says ECE 2206.