• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

AK20 install

mcgyver74

Ok so I finally installed the AK20's today and man what a difference,  bike feels PLANTED in the corners now! :)

Got my sag numbers right at 35 for both front and rear with the Hyperpro rear shock and the 1.2kG springs that Traxxion sent

I also replaced my fork seals (I was already in there and they had 24k on them so why not) and I have to say the 14 is VERY easy to do fork work on.

Thanks to ProfessorKonk for loaning me the Kawi OEM cartridge holding tool, made getting the old cart out VERY Easy :)

Traxxion kit is VERY well made, all parts are included, however the instructions could be a bit better IMHO,  for example their setup has one fork setup for Compression damping and the other for Rebound, usually they want you to put the rebound in the right fork (Easy to remember that way)

Trouble is, the instructions don't tell you WHICH cartridge is which, and they aren't marked that I can see,  the only difference is in the size of the rod that actuates the valve stack (One is thicker)

Ended up filling guessing and filling the fork, then pumping the rod to feel which was which (got it right the first time whew) 

Some pics of the install

https://plus.google.com/photos/109835062911947295359/albums/5795237891816437569?banner=pwa

Great upgrade, eh!? I am totally digging mine, and the gang at Traxxion could not be nicer to deal with.

I had the same issue with needing to figure out which damper did what... had to work it out "after the fact".

I'm curious as to the settings you are using? I am 195, adding 16 pounds for gear. I have approx. 5.5 lines showing on the preload adjusters, about 10mm (measuring just the exposed height of the round barrel with the etched lines on it, not including the nut). Bike sag is about 26mm, bike + rider + gear sag is 36mm. After some fairly spirited corners and braking I still have about 18mm of fork travel remaining for potholes, logs and roadkill.

Love this bike more and more every day, with every upgrade and farkle!
:beerchug: :motonoises:

I'm 185 (200 with with gear and helmet), and Traxxion sent me a 1.0 kg and a 1.1kg spring. If I remember correct, they had attached small tags to the damper cartridges indicating which was rebound and which was compression.

Fred_Harmon_TX said:
I'm 185 (200 with with gear and helmet), and Traxxion sent me a 1.0 kg and a 1.1kg spring. If I remember correct, they had attached small tags to the damper cartridges indicating which was rebound and which was compression.

Alas, no tags with my kit, and no mention in the instructions as to the physical differences between compression and damping sides. My only complaint. I have the 1.2 kg/mm springs.

They called me today (I left them a message yesterday while I was installing but they were closed for inventory)  apparently the damper rods are different sizes, but I forget which was which :)  the guy I spoke to did mention that is a common question (Gee shouldn't ya update your docs for that? LOL)

I am  6'2" 250 and I have 4 lines showing on my preload for the forks which gives me 35mm of sag,  I did measure the spacer versus exposed rod before assembling and I have 10mm of preload set on the spring itself if the adjusters were backed out all the way

Bike feels more planted, but still a slight "Wave" when hauled over,  however I am suspecting that is more due to the cupped tires (The tires have a pronounced raised flat spot) then the suspension, I will replace the tires before any more dialing in

Dan of Traxxion is a great guy to deal with, very responsible and helpful.

They should be proud to have user half of the globe away, all the way to Vietnam :)

I bought the AK-20 Kit from them last year along with Penske Shock for the rear.  the Shock was great but i couldn't feel it right with the forks so after 10K miles, i shipped everything back the the States for Traxxion to rebuild it and get it shipped back to Vietnam, man ...you can tell the shipping cost :)

Anyway, very happy customer and i will definitely come back

at

They are pretty good and willing to help.  So far I am liking the suspension mod and I was SHOCKED how easy it was to install (Including doing the fork seals)