• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Alaska or Bust

Paulie

Blastoff to the Arctic Circle (Wiseman AK to be exact) is Saturday 6/5. I's are crossed, T's are dotted, and dithering around has reached a fever pitch. A fresh rear tire is on its way to Fairbanks, that must mean it's ON! The plan is to hopscotch there via Talimena, glorious S UT, US50 in NV, and the best of N Cal to meet Mary in Seattle. Cool my jets on the ferry then ride most of the paved roads with some 2-night stops to play normal(?) tourist. Mary'll fly home from Fairbanks, ride S via the Cassiar, N Cascades, US2 etc, & limp home after the COG rally in WI. Ai-yi-yi! I must be stubborn or something. There's no good reason to use my VERY tired 186k Conc on this schlep. If this trip doesn't put it into Rat Bike mode, nothing will. I've taken it on a few 10k+ trips but frankly have lost some confidence in it. Then again, taking a new scooter may be even dumber, what with the gravel, mud, gunk, & shaking loose new fasteners on the lousy roads. We'll see what happens. See youse guys in ~6 weeks... 01 Conc, Mijami Floriduh OTP 06: http://tinyurl.com/2vk9o2 route map: http://tinyurl.com/4p7pmd
yzdfi9.jpg
yzdfib.jpg
yzdfia.jpg
y6x7zt.jpg

Give us NW boys a holler if you get a chance when you pass through North or South. Lunch, dinner or just BS for a while. Names and #s in the member book. "If it hasn't killed me yet, it's runnin out of time" COG # 8062 AMA # 1084053 ROMA or Scarlet harlot acording to my wife

My advise is take it easy. We made the run last year. Two Concours and a Honda Blackbird. Both Concours broke front engine mount bolts. Mine broke the mount off the head. We were able to get bolts at the Yukon River Crossing and Coldfoot, A little cable and some turnbuckles purchased at Deadhorse got us home. I installed a spin on oil filter from Murph's before I left...BAD idea!! I was so lucky, the bottom of the filter was beat up so bad from the Dalton highway, I had to drive screwdrivers into the bottom to get it off. I lost about 1/2 quart from leaks in the smashed areas. The 7.5 gallon tank was a life saver, the run from Coldfoot to Prudhoe Bay is 240 miles. We had an 1 gal plastic container from a BMW guy for the Honda. I would recommend stopping at every available location once North of Fairbanks. They roll up the sidewalks at 9:00 everywhere!!! We slept on the front porch of a restuarant one night. Tires weren't an issue, we sent tire to Anchorage and the folks at Alaska Leather were GREAT!!!