• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Alpena LEDs

fourwayz

Moped
Should I "pull the trigger"? I have access to a new in box pair of Alpena Quadfire lights for $52.00. They are normally $69.00 for one. One light has an output of 1,500 lumen and a draw of 16 watts. That's 32 watts total for 8 Cree LEDs. They ARE spot beam lights.  I DO want to be seen! Does anyone have any experience with this brand? I plan to mount them on either side of the upper faring where the reflector usually goes. Think I will need a metal backing plate epoxied in place for stability and not cracking the fairing? Thanks!!!

I did not have these, but I did have two 18W LED lights on my C10. They came from an Amazon retailer and had 6 LEDs per ligh.
I think they did a good job making me more visible. I also think they were on the verge of being too bright for oncoming traffic. In about 7 months of use, no oncoming cars flashed their lights at me (like saying "your brights are on dummy), so it appears they were not obnoxiously bright.
The ones you really considering should work well. I don't think 6 vs 4 is significant.
Jorge

I considered the Quadfires, but as I recall, they're quite heavy. Around 3 pounds each. I'm afraid that would place far too much stress on the plastic where you plan to mount them. BTW, my local Wal-Mart has them for $38 each and Wal-Mart on-line has a kit with two lights and a wiring harness with switch for $48 IIRC. If you go with the Quadfires, I would try to find someplace more substantial to hang them other than the plastic.

Yep, nice price from wally-world. I saw one in my local auto parts store and got a chance ti weigh one. 1.5 pounds with the cable attached. Still too heavy? I guess I could consider a lower mount "somewhere". I really don't want to re-invent the wheel here so I'll keep on looking. Thanks for the input!!! ;D