• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Amazed at the lack of knowledge about the Concours among Seattle area salesmen

RobertHood

Tricycle
I've been poking around Seattle area dealerships, and I have to say that I'm unimpressed by the lack of product knowledge about the Concours. One salesman even said, "Kawasaki didn't make a 2011 Concours."

When I ask about the Concours vs. any other bike on the showroom floor the answer often boils down to the salesman handing me the brochure for each bike and then staring at me while I read. I'm starting to wonder if these guys get any commission. They don't seem to be knowledgeable or passionate about anything they're doing.

Am I just catching them on bad days? Have any other Seattle area Concours purchasers or potential purchasers been turned off by the dealership experience?

Yeah, it is amazing. I've dealt with it at auto dealers also. It's pretty bad when you already know much more about a product than the person selling them!  ???

I understand the sales staff has to sell all the models at the dealership, and they probably know a lot about their high volume models, but seriously shouldn't they be expected to know something about the Concours other than how much they'll make on the commission?

Well that depends.  Required by YOU?  Or required by the average person who's buying a motorcycle?  Or their management? 

I used to work at an army surplus store, and we had to do salesmaker drills and quizzes and have product knowledge.  But not everyone's management makes them do that.

Have you checked out Kent Kawasaki yet?  They have been around forever, and the older guy that has always been in there when I've stopped in ( for the life of me I can't recall his name at the moment ) is the owner, and knows his products.  Very laid back, nice guy.  Check 'em out if you haven't already.

Salesmanship is overcoming your objections and closing the deal. The guys that are really slick about this process make money for themselves and the dealer owner. They don't have to know any more about the bike than the guys buying it. Some bikes tend to have buyers that don't know beans about them--so the salesman for that brand, doesn't need much technical knowledge. BMW buyers tend to be very knowledgeable. I have found the guys selling japan bikes are nice guys that like motorcycles and they usually don't know who Peter Egan or David Hough are, they don't read motorcycle media or forums, and they don't know the differences between the models they sell. For instance, ask your local Kawa salesman why the Vaquero engine runs rougher than the Nomad or Voyager, he will probably tell you it doesn't, as they all have the same engine. Wrong, the Vaquero has more of a pulse, but because it's not in the brochure these guys don't get it.  I have found they lie often too, excuse me, exaggerate the truth. For instance, for 3 years I got many of them to go on and on with great passion about how the Concours had no heat problem, how every bike they had ever ridden back to the Honda Trail 70 had much more heat, ad nauseum.

It is not in any sense of the word, limited to Seattle.  A reasonable person would take the time to research a product, become knowledgeable and familiar with the item. Engross themselves in the particulars and nuances of the machine and all its attributes before approaching a saleman for any guidance on the subject.

We assume too much from salesman, therefore we become skeptical and uncertain of their purpose or intentions.  Good salesman know their product and they are few and far between. Everyone else on the showroom floor become just clerks.

Lower your expectations and you will disappointed far less and be much happier as a result. After all who do you trust on the road but yourself?

Same with Honda sales folks when asked about ST1300. Sport touring is down at the bottom of sales along with adventure unless you're a BMW dealer.

This has been SOP with every new motorcycle I have ever purchased (starting with the 1968 XLCH Sportster I bought in the Fall of 1967) with one exception and that is when I got my current Concours.

The sales guy was courteous, knowledgable and really accommodating. Test ride? No problem. It didn't take long to swing the deal and I felt very good about it. Great outfit (Santa Rosa, California).

Dan

I have two Kaw dealers in town and they couldn't be more different. One may or may not know about the Connie. I don't know because every salesman I've ever spoken to there is so ate up with the sales game, we never get around to talking about the C-14. They want to know about my trade in, financing, and the like. It repulses me. I quickly get fed up with the game and move on. I've dealt with 2 different guys there with the same outcome.

At the other dealer the salesman I spoke to was ate up with the 2010 nonABS that he had on the floor. He was quick to point out all of the features. He was truly excited about the bike. Not once did financial aspect rear it's head. He is going to give me a call when the 2011 hits the store.

Now don't get me wrong, when it's time to buy, I'll play one against the other. But if it's close, I won't hesitate to give the second dealer a few extra bucks.

Why are you worried about this?  Most of us have a general idea of the bike(s) we like.  A multi-line dealership sells so many different bikes for so many different people as well as watersports,etc products.  PRODUCT KNOWLEDGE is a wonderfull attribute for a salesperson but most sales people need to know HOW to make the sale.