• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

And next years national will be at....

John said:
Who hoooo :great:

Indeed! Going to enjoy the ride out there. Afterwards will go to California to visit my old SEAL buddy in Monterey CA.

Reserved a spot at the KOA Cortez / Mesa Verde arriving June 14th. If anyone from you guys' region is going maybe we can link up. I was thinking of doing the first 1,000 miles just stopping for gas to get the Iron Butt award, but could be talked out of it. LOL.

Hey I was stationed in Monterey too. Might accompany you there, then swing south to San Diego to visit family. I'm so glad it's a KOA this time, not a primitive campground with no running or potable water. I'm no girly-girl, but riding all day and no shower afterwards is a recipe for a lonely Jenn!

coffee_brake said:
Hey I was stationed in Monterey too. Might accompany you there, then swing south to San Diego to visit family. I'm so glad it's a KOA this time, not a primitive campground with no running or potable water. I'm no girly-girl, but riding all day and no shower afterwards is a recipe for a lonely Jenn!

That would be super Jenn! But, after I leave Cortez I'm going to Sturgis, and after Sturgis I'm going to west coast. So probably not on your timetable.

I have to get to Monterey (Seaside actually) because my old SEAL buddy is, well, old, and I think he has some Agent Orange complications, and don't know how many more good years he has. We hunted mule deer together on the CA/NV line northeast of Shasta, and ducks and geese up north in Colusa, for almost 30 years, only man I ever allowed around me with a gun after I got out of the military.

coffee_brake said:
Then you just MUST go hang with this buddy. Special friend there, you gotta go be a friend back at him.

Yeah, I told him I'd come right out after Cortez, and he said "I thought you wanted to go to Sturgis at least once?" and I said I did. So he told me in not-for-polite-company terms that if I didn't spend a few days at Sturgis and get rowdy, not to bother coming to visit. And to take pictures of it, and bring them along.

So what can I say? He's got a Purple Heart, so I salute him every time I see him. He hates it.

coffee_brake said:

Jenn,

I got my dates mixed up. I will be going directly to California after Cortez CO (National) so would love to have you ride it with me. I think we might have 1 or 2 others joining in on parts of it, we'll see. Might even have one of the guys in my little mc go long, he often does trips of several weeks and thinks nothing of 6,000 miles.

We would part paths when we approached California I'm guessing. I'm headed for the Monterey part and you are headed to southern California and can jump off 50 before we get to California and head on southwest to get to US 40 through Phoenix I think it is, heading west from there goes pretty much where you want to go.

I'd actually rather go to San Diego I love the area and the warmth and the ocean there, but I need to be in Monterey.

We would get there before the beginning of July, so plenty of time to head back while its still warm. I'll probably stay until the end of July and then head to Sturgis, must check that box off on the bucket list.

I'll catch Monterey too, I love that town and that's where I was stationed for two years for the Defense Language Institute. There's mighty fine camping on Highway 1 past Carmel, I'll overnight there, then head south to San Diego and family (and an oil change).

I learned to ride on Highway 1...that was NO place for a rank newbie to be.

coffee_brake said:
I'll catch Monterey too, I love that town and that's where I was stationed for two years for the Defense Language Institute. There's mighty fine camping on Highway 1 past Carmel, I'll overnight there, then head south to San Diego and family (and an oil change).

I learned to ride on Highway 1...that was NO place for a rank newbie to be.

I loved Highway 1 south of Monterey too. Nepenthe on the point was a good stop to take a date to dinner at.

I once drove a friend's Porsche all the way to San Diego down 1. We'd been diving at the point in Monterey where the kelp beds are,  and he had gotten bent coming up too fast without equalizing (essentially, as a result of holding his breath). So they flew him to the Naval Hospital at Long Beach. I drove his car down and picked him up when they finally let him out of the decompression chamber.

I also liked running Skyline Blvd after ascending to the ridgeline west of San Jose, going north to Alice's Restaraunt.

This part of the trip is going to bring back a lot of memories, including the uphill 90 degree turn where I threw my ZX11 away one Sunday morning. And almost lost my life but for good leathers and sliding up against the cliff (switchbacks up to the ridge) instead of sliding off to the right and down a cliff.