• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

And now for something completely different! Front Wheel bearings. Measure first!

2linby

Ain't this a pisser!  2001 C-10 new front wheel bearings Part Number NTN 6203LLU Bore Diameter per NTN website 17mm. Front wheel axle bore diameter 17mm. Thus a perfect zero tolerance fit.

Perfect right?  ANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN.........  :mad: :mad: :mad:

So I am finished mounting my new rear MS wheel, things go fine enough. Had to remove the pumpkin but all in all everything was a breeze.

Remove my 18" front wheel, remove the forks, replace the fork seals, clean them up and pour in and new fluid, install fixed forks, everything fine and dandy.

A couple nights before I set up my new 17" front wheel replacing the old bearings with new, yes NTN 6203 LLU Bore Diameter (per spec) 17mm bearings and new oil seal.

Transfer rotors from 18" wheel to 17" wheel, red locktite the whole nine yards.  I go to balance the new wheel and guess the F%^K what!  :41: the front axle will not pass through the new 6203LUU

bearings!  I could not get the damn axle to go. So I decide to measure the bore diameter on the installed 6203LUU bearings and guess the F%^K what! :41!!!

The bore on the installed bearings is barely 16mm measured with a very nice fowler vernier caliper.

Oh and I have another new set of 6203LUU that measure exact-o-makly 17mm bore diameter! (I guess I had a 50/50 chance and lost!)

So tomorrow I get to pound out brand new bearings and replace them with brand new bearings!  This time the ones that will allow the axle to pass through!

So the lesson learned here is make sure your axle passes through your "right" bearings before installing them..... :mad: :mad: :mad:

Just a little frustrated............    :banghead:

2047040320052071584S600x600Q85.jpg