• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

ANGEL GT A SPEC - WOBBLER OR NOT

Dan Forker

I'm due for a tire replacement this spring before taking any long trips. I have been running Michellin GT PR4's with a 255 on the rear. I was ready to try a set of Angell GT A spec's on my 2012 C1400 until I saw some complaints that riders with the Angell tires that they had a tendency to have a front end wobble. I have been there before with other bikes and really don't want to put up with a wobble problem. Looking for input from others using the Angell's to find out if the wobble is a common problem or just an isolated problem. I wanted to try the Angell's because of the comments about how much better the bike was going into the corners.How about those of you using the Angell's, is this a common complaint?

Fork

Hi,
      Short answer....NO!

I think (and many others!) it's a GREAT tire!

Wet/dry, whatever! ;D

My experience/opinion! :great:

Attachments

• tumblr_p1yn6eTf8R1v1gz89o1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_p1yn6eTf8R1v1gz89o1_1280.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 131
I have them on my bike right now and they are great tires!  I have had the PR4 GT's on my bike prior and they are great too!

Both brands are super! No wobble..

:motonoises:    :motonoises:  :great:

I'm on my 3rd set of them on my 2015. I have never experienced any kind of wobble. Great handling tire in the dry or wet! :)

No wobble here. I think if they wobbled, the company would fix it quick. The people that have experienced wobbles have something wrong with their bike front end or got a defective tire.

Nope.  I'm on set #2. But A spec on both this time vs just on the back.

I have zero miles on them, but I got around 6500 miles out of the first set.  I'm a lifer.

Wobbler I won’t buy any more of them.

Absolutely not wrong with my bike. It did not wobble with the Michelin PR3 on it and I wore that sucker smooth. I will be going back to michelins once this Pirelli is shot.

roy826 said:

Absolutely not wrong with my bike. It did not wobble with the Michelin PR3 on it and I wore that sucker smooth. I will be going back to michelins once this Pirelli is shot.

Did you post a thread on this? I don't recall if you did.

If your scoot is fine, the tire was defective.  Theres simply no reason for this to happen unless there is a problem with the bike including out of balance wheel, or the tire.

ETA: for the record, towards the end of the life of my last non A spec front tire, I did have a little wander here and there depending on the pavement.  However I Rode the tire PAST it's usable lifespan.  I literally made the sidewalls treadless. As well as past the wear bars in the center.

See  http://forum.cog-online.org/tires-suspension-c14/rear-a-spec-removal-ideas/

I just put a new set of A's on.  If theres any problems, you can bet I will post about it here.

JTX said:
roy826 said:

If your scoot is fine, the tire was defective.  Theres simply no reason for this to happen unless there is a problem with the bike including out of balance wheel, or the tire.

ETA: for the record, towards the end of the life of my last non A spec front tire, I did have a little wander here and there depending on the pavement.  However I Rode the tire PAST it's usable lifespan.  I literally made the sidewalls treadless. As well as past the wear bars in the center.

See  http://forum.cog-online.org/tires-suspension-c14/rear-a-spec-removal-ideas/

I just put a new set of A's on.  If theres any problems, you can bet I will post about it here.

I did briefly once it was mounted. Did not pursue it any further once everything checked out ok on the bike. Tire balance was done two times and that was not it. I even broke the tire down and rotated it to no change. It was the tire and I was not dealing with sending it back. Lesson learned I won't buy any more Pirelli's just like I won't use a Dunlop on the racetrack on my race bike having learned that lesson there as well.

It's back to Michelin where I should have stayed.

roy826 said:
JTX said:
roy826 said:

I did briefly once it was mounted. Did not pursue it any further once everything checked out ok on the bike. Tire balance was done two times and that was not it. I even broke the tire down and rotated it to no change. It was the tire and I was not dealing with sending it back. Lesson learned I won't buy any more Pirelli's just like I won't use a Dunlop on the racetrack on my race bike having learned that lesson there as well.

It's back to Michelin where I should have stayed.

Hi,
      Good deal! :beerchug:

This is sort of like riding gear... ::)

From shorts and flip flops, to full on suited protection. :-X

When you eat it, there's only you on the gurney! :(

We all have to go with what we believe in for ourselves! :great:

Ride safe! :motonoises:

Attachments

• tumblr_p2a0qaNLQC1v1gz89o1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_p2a0qaNLQC1v1gz89o1_1280.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 127
I used two Angles (two sets) and while they did not wobble such that I noticed it while riding the bike, both did show more sideways movement on the balancer than any of the Michelin tires I have used. This is why I mention it- there was enough visual 'weave' in the tire as it was spun that I was wary that that might show up while riding but I could not detect any odd behavior in the bike at any time while those tires were used. It was sufficiently noticeable that I broke the first tire off the wheel and re- mounted it but it still tracked about the same.

Brian

Fork said:
I'm due for a tire replacement this spring before taking any long trips. I have been running Michellin GT PR4's with a 255 on the rear. I was ready to try a set of Angell GT A spec's on my 2012 C1400 until I saw some complaints that riders with the Angell tires that they had a tendency to have a front end wobble. I have been there before with other bikes and really don't want to put up with a wobble problem. Looking for input from others using the Angell's to find out if the wobble is a common problem or just an isolated problem. I wanted to try the Angell's because of the comments about how much better the bike was going into the corners.How about those of you using the Angell's, is this a common complaint?

Fork

I had Angel ST's on my '08 when I bought it and they were great tires.  I replaced them with GT spec 2's and they are even better.  I went with the 190/55 on the rear and the bike corners better (to me).  These are solid as a rock wet or dry...confidence in any corner.  LOVE them!!!
I've had NO wobble issues with either ST or GT's.

HOnestly there is only ONE person here who's reported a "wobbler" with the Pirellis.

Not saying anything other than that is the only time i've heard of that, and it is more than possible.

However, i'm on my 4th and 5th set (two bikes) of Angels, and I love 'em.

I do get some weird tire wear patterns, but I know this is due to my own inability to set the suspension correctly when carrying varying loads, and passenger.

I will continue to buy Angel GT SPec A's until something better comes along.

As info, I ran Pirelli Diablos on my Aprilias before I bought my C14, and loved those as well.
Predictable, consistent, and an all around performing tire.

The irony is, you can't PAY me to buy a set of Pirelli CAR tires -- I buy only Michelins!  :D

gr

I have an '08 Concours 14 and have Angel GT Spec A.  I opted for the larger rear size - 190/55 ZR17.  I think this gives me a slightly steeper fork angle and good handling.  It also gives me a more accurate speedometer.  The Angels have been very good - no wobble - for 6670 miles so far.  I often ride two up, and  with gear, near the load rating.  I think I have between 25% to 33% tread and life left in these tires. On the rear, there is a slight flat on the bottom and flats on the sides - lots of West Virginia riding - awesome.  I will end up changing tires because of the profile before the tread is worn to the wear bars.  I expect to buy another set of Angels for the Connie.

Two sets of the Angel GT's A spec on my C14, and have not experienced a wobble.  I have thought of trying the Michelins, but am so pleased with the Pirellis that I am reluctant to try anything else.

I have a stone driveway and if a rock gets in the tread of the front tire you can feel it. Especially if you let go of handlebars.

Fitted Pirelli Angel GT "A' at 3000kms,couldn't get rid of the OEM Bridgestones quick enough.
The Angels are an excellent tyre in all conditions,no wobbles,vibration and don't track undulations in the road surface like some.
Pirelli's have covered 13000 kms so far still with 3 mm tread left front and rear.
Highly recommend Pirelli Angel GT tyres.

smokin said:
Fitted Pirelli Angel GT "A' at 3000kms,couldn't get rid of the OEM Bridgestones quick enough.
The Angels are an excellent tyre in all conditions,no wobbles,vibration and don't track undulations in the road surface like some.
Pirelli's have covered 13000 kms so far still with 3 mm tread left front and rear.
Highly recommend Pirelli Angel GT tyres.

Agree; +1  :great:

Gary said:
I have an '08 Concours 14 and have Angel GT Spec A.  I opted for the larger rear size - 190/55 ZR17.  I think this gives me a slightly steeper fork angle and good handling.  It also gives me a more accurate speedometer.  The Angels have been very good - no wobble - for 6670 miles so far.  I often ride two up, and  with gear, near the load rating.  I think I have between 25% to 33% tread and life left in these tires. On the rear, there is a slight flat on the bottom and flats on the sides - lots of West Virginia riding - awesome.  I will end up changing tires because of the profile before the tread is worn to the wear bars.  I expect to buy another set of Angels for the Connie.

Hi,
      I got 5500 out of the OEM Bridgestones on my 2012 C14.

Put on the 55 Angel GT "A" Specs....

Life is good and noticed a more confident feeling in the curves!

Of course new tires are new tires!!! ;D

Attachments

• tumblr_p3bh6qhpaL1v1gz89o1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_p3bh6qhpaL1v1gz89o1_1280.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 110