• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Another Garmin mount

davedz

Training Wheels
Not an original idea. Colin got me thinking about dash mounting my 2730 using a 2x4. But I hate to drill holes if I can engineer an alternative. So using a piece of 2x4, a steel bracket I modified from a server cable trough, a piece of steel strap, can of spray Plasti-Dip, and a RAM mount for the GPS, I built this... I tapered the 2x4, rounded the edges, routed out the place for the strap, then the strap was bent at the screw end and attached and the Plasti-dip was sprayed on (4 coats). The clamp was cut, bent into shape, and drilled and also sprayed with 4 coats. Last photo shows a hole in the bottom of the clamp in case I have to eventually put a screw into the underside of the dash. I did put black duct tape in areas that I felt would get the most abrasion. I attached a tie wrap anchor with a screw to hold the cables in place. Only thing I still need is the audio adapter (2.5 to 3.5). Oh, and my GPS...my son borrowed it for a trip this weekend! Thanks to colin for the idea seed! ..dz.. 2003 Concours 1983 Honda Silverwing 2008 Yamaha Majesty (new) 2003 Honda XR70 (son's)

That's a pretty neat idea, Dave. Congrats to you and Colin. I might have to try that. Eddie Sanford, FL 2005 Concours 1969 Triumph Bonneville AMA# 686667 COG# 7073 CDA# 0136 http://picasaweb.google.com/Eddie753

I too have seen Colin's and a piece of 2x4 is in the future. 2003 Concours, 50K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Way to go Dave! Kudos for taking the idea in a new direction! Once I get my new scoot I'll have to think of any ways to improve my original design, which I like, but its a little time consuming to dismantle the whole console. Colin Prior COG Webmaster Lake Forest Park WA COG#7767 AMA#1081764 ROK#20000617
2606714340100596652OGFlOW_th.jpg