• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Another GPS thread

mitchvon

Mini Bike
I'm considering mounting a GPS on my bike. I live in the Pacific Northwest. I am I setting myself up for failure if I don't buy a waterproof GPS? < rhetorical question? Feed back from those with a GPS in rainy climates appreciated.

I don't have any experience in a rainy environment (we've been in a drought this year here in MD) but I have mounted a TOM TOM on my handlebar. So far so good. Mine is not specifically made for a motorcycle, but who the heck wants to spend $700 on one? A person can buy seven or more GPS units for the price of just one "made for a motorcycle". If I'm riding into a rain that looks bad enough to get past the windshield onto my GPS I'll either take it off & put it in the trunk, or get off the bike or both. $700? I don't think so. :mad:

Electronics and water do not mix well... You can put a baggie over the device, but we all know from experience that rain/moisture does have a way of sneaking into places when you don't want it to. There are several non-motorcycle Garmin models that have the IPX7 waterproof rating. Motorcycle specific devices are designed to withstand vibration and shock that comes along with mounting them on a bike. Car and hand held units are not used in these adverse conditions. Also, motorcycle specific GPS controls and buttons tend to be designed to use with a gloved hand.

Dude, I will probably be at the NW wrenching next weekend. I have a Garmin 700 series mounted to my rifle that sets on top of the instrument cluster. I have had it there for a couple of years with no problems YET. I usually remove it if I'm not going to be riding for a while.

Good advice. I agree with Rogue in that I could buy 7 regular GPS for the price of 1 MC version. Sawfiler. let chat at the Wrenching session. I too have a Rifle and would like to peruse your set up. Guess I could alway get an OTTER box for the wet. Thanks guys.

I got a refurbished Garmin Quest 2 from ebay. Around $120 including all the accessories, etc in the box. The buttons are a little small and harder to use with gloves on. But they are water proof. Initially just used the parts that came with it. I mounted the disk that is for the dash on the dash of the Connie with double back sticky tape. Then use the suction cup mount. It has been working great. Never had it come off. -- It as came loose, once or twice, but never fell off. And I have a safety line. -- Overall I am still doing this way. I originally just plugged the cig lighter into my power socket. http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/images/IMGP3772.JPG http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/images/IMGP3775.JPG http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/images/IMGP3777.JPG http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/images/IMGP3780.JPG Now that I have my Valentine One mounting done, I installed a V1 direct wire outlet, wire into one of my Aux Fuse panel outlets. So its fused back under the seat, as well as the V1 inline fuse. It has two outlets. One for the V1 and one for the GPS. Had to rewire the 12V input for the GPS. -- I still use the suction cut mount to the dash pad. Here is one of it plugged in to the V1 outlet. http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/images/IMGP4411.JPG One of the current mounting with everything removed. How I ride back and forth to work, or local trips, etc. And one all loaded up for long distance travel. http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/images/IMGP4404.JPG http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/images/IMGP4413.JPG I use an audio adapter to plug the V1 into my Autocomm system. So all of the beep, beep, beep stuff is played into my headset in the helmet. I never listen to the GPS. No way in hell I want that think screaming into my ear to make a U-turn every few minutes. -- Most the time I don't even have it navigating. Its there just showing roads ahead, location, etc. I generally take the GPS, V1, Autocomm, and MP3 player for long distance rides.

Cheap, non waterproof GPS are not very usefull on a bike unless you live and ride in a very dry area. If you don't wan't to buy a Zumo 550 or 660 then look for older rebuilts or trail types like the GPSMAP60Csx. The only issue with those last ones is you will need to purchade the maps separatly and you can't use the lifetime map updates. Full updates will cost you about $79. You will also have to purchase the mount for your bike.

Cheap, non waterproof GPS are not very usefull on a bike unless you live and ride in a very dry area. If the Pacific Northwest isn't wet, it's not wet anywhere.

I went for the Garmin 2610. it works great, and have been very happy with it. You can get them used for less than $200. Mounted mine with a ram mount on the Dash with a piece if 2x4

I've got a Nuvi 750. I bought it for my truck but I switch back and forth to the bike. You can get the 755T for $140.

GSGSXJay said:
Colin,

What do you have attached to your Left handlebar?
It's a homemade mount for my chatterbox.
Made out of aluminum L section and bolted to the clutch resevoir.

colinp386 said:
GSGSXJay said:
Colin,

It's a homemade mount for my chatterbox.
Made out of aluminum L section and bolted to the clutch resevoir.
From the angle of the shot it kind of looks like a handheld CB.

I have to find a good mount for my Zumo 550 for the C10. I don't think it will fit up near the windshield. I'm thinking probably on the left bar? Anybody mount a 550 on their C10?

BBAR said:
I have to find a good mount for my Zumo 550 for the C10. I don't think it will fit up near the windshield. I'm thinking probably on the left bar? Anybody mount a 550 on their C10?
Don't have a Zumo 550....yet.  My SP 2730 is much bigger than your Zumo 550 and it attached to a RAM mount on Left handlebar in the threaded mount for a mirror.   

GSGSXJay said:
BBAR said:
Don't have a Zumo 550....yet.  My SP 2730 is much bigger than your Zumo 550 and it attached to a RAM mount on Left handlebar in the threaded mount for a mirror. 

Yeah, that's what I was kind of thinking. Do you know what mount it is?

John_Atkinson said:
GSGSXJay said:
Colin,

Looks like a J&M CB/intercom to me........

It looks like it to me also! I could be wrong, but I think Gerry B.  uses the same unit. I thought about trying one!

My Zumo 550 is mounted on the right side.  I have the cruise control mounted on the left and didn't feel like rerouting cabling, plus I am left handed so it works well for me.

Slybones - thanks for the suggestion on Quest 2 and Ebay.  I was able to pick up a claimed new in the box Quest 2 for $66.25 + 15 shipping.  Looked new to me. Great little unit that seems waterproof during my daily commutes.