• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Another New Concours Owner.

Weg3111

Training Wheels
Hello all,

A few days ago I traded in my 08 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt on a new 2009 Concours. I had been wanting a sport touring bike for a while as my buddy has an FJR and I couldn't keep up. I hadn't really considered the Concours until I saw this one at my local dealer the other day and really looked at it for the first time. I JUST WENT TO LOOK. That was the hook, so now its in my garage. I live in Texas so I have had several opportunities to ride it already. I'm really excited about this bike. This is the one I've been waiting for. I have to admit, I want to shed a little tear everytime I ride by the dealer and see my old 900 out front. Then I remember what I'm riding now.

Did a Bing search, found the COG Forums and signed up. It looks like a great place to information gather and learn things about my new bike.

08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
08 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
2009 Concours 14  :))

Well there you are!  Welcome to the monkeyhouse!  You are at the right address for sure!  :)

Welcome... hopefully you will consider becoming a full member of COG after checking us out.

Yeah, Welcome Weg.  You've bought a sweet bike.  Won't be long and your FJR buddy is gonna be whining. ;)
I'm on the other side of Houston from ya.  Lots of great guys COG members) in the area.  I hope to meet you sometime in the near future.  Of course I ride one of the OLD bikes rather than the sleek new ones like yours, but I still love my Connie.  Take care, ride safe, and have fun.

Keep your eyes peeled for a Tech Day in El Campo Texas thread.  I'll be hosting a get together most likely in February.  Of course you're invited and welcome.

Welcome and congrats on the new bike. 2009 had great colors. It's also the only year that you actually had a choice on colors. Did you get the everything always looks good in Black, but always dirty, or that gorgeous red?  Did you get an ABS model? Just wondering!  ;D

I'm all in now. Membership done. A tech day sounds good. I'm pretty low tech but I do plan on doing a few things to my bike which is the red, non-abs version. It was the only one they had at the time. Item# 1 - handlebar risers. Should get those this week. I also hope to get in on a group ride. I don't get to do too many of those.

As for group rides... Your local AAD puts on a good number of rides, but I think they are kind of taking a break for the Christmas season... I'm not too sure.  Maybe Bob will chime in again here.

As for upcoming stuff.  In March there is the annual Big Bend - Ride the Twisties ride that is always a hoot, but sometimes a tad chilly.  It's a fair piece to Alpine, but there are several other Houstonites that go every year including OtP Slave Laborer Ted aka ConnieRider.  Then, a month later, in April, there is the Wildflower Ride in the Texas Hill Country near Hunt, Texas.  That one is also a great ride and USUALLY the weather is cooperative.  The roads in both locals are fabulous and the company is no less stellar... except sometimes they let me come along too.  ;)

Good COG stuff comin' up.  Stay tuned.

Hey weg6 (3+1+1+1)  ;D

Welcome aboard. I rented the C14 and being fairly new to street biking (and a bit on the thrifty side!) I put my focus on the latest C10... the 06, which I got a bit over a month ago. You got a great ride and your buddy will learn to enjoy your tail lights.. they have a nice glow in the distance, especially about twilight time!!!  :p

You definately made the right choice to sign up with this group.  8) I am planning on the wildflower ride hopefully with my wife along. I hope to help Smithr develop some Texas gatherings this year, perhaps some competitions between the metro areas or a hit the tips ride that will get us in our border states.
The other thing I definately plan on is Rev's wrenching session.
(by the way.. don't bet Rev you can blow away his measley "old" C10... he has a thing with turbo's...)

The people here are awesome and very helpful with any issues you may have. Just ask! Bob is a very dedicated leader and I look forward to a great year up coming. Like you I got "all in" right after visiting here and getting my bike. I did quite a bit of research going between older ST hondas, FJ Yammies and the Connies.. This forum was a great tipper for me. Glad I made the right choice! You will be too!

Be blessed this season.. doug

Welcome Weg,
I am your fearful area leader Bob.  Thanks for stopping by.  If you decided to join all up then great.  It is the best way to stay in touch with whatever happens in the area.  Right now the Big Bend and Wildflower rides Chucko mentioned are all that is on the calendar.  I have a date on an Arkansas ride just after those two in the spring.  I think he is correct and Brad your area assistant director is taking a holiday break.  It is not all that uncommon that the entire area takes a winter break even though the riding on some days is very good.  On others it just sucks and hard to plan events when the unknown is soooo unknown. 
Let me know if there is anything else I can do.

Welcome Weg. I'm on the North side of Houston.
Unfortunately I haven't been able to get much riding done this year. Hope to do better next year.
There are 2 ride in the works for March/April of 2011.
Big Bend Ride and Wildflower Ride. Look into going on both!

I plan to be there. Possibly we can hook up...
Rev and Bob should be there too.

Ride safe, Ted

Welcome Weg.  I've been in the group a little over a year.  Can't say enough good things about the COG folk.  They are always willing to support other members.  Some of the rides I've discovered since joining have been pure heaven. 

Hope you have a similar experience.

May your connie be as good to you as mine has been to me.

Hmmm I thunk if you was a fully memba that your digits would be under your use me name to the left.

Weg3111 said:
I am somebody! I have a COG number.

Well what might it be. I think Bob is right. IIRC, Normally it would automatically appear under your name. But maybe it just isn't in the data base as of yet?

New members will need to log out from the forum and log back in to have their membership details imported from cogmos. 

Here is a premod pic of my bike. I've already added KB risers with a ram mount, medium Calsci windshield and a motocentric tailbag. Just waiting to get my seat back from Spencer in Florida to test ride it with the new stuff.

premod.jpg

Weg.. Looks great. I Like the purple!  :D I think I am about to do the take the seat off and wait.  :-[
I have been daily riding and hate to take him down for even a few days but a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do!!
I hope it rains and freezes the whole time!  ^-^

Yo Necron! I am embarrased to admit I had to Bing up Lewisville to see where it is. Probably like you'll have to do for La Porte. Shout out from the southeast. HOWDY  :D.  Yeah Doug it was a rough 2 weeks. It took longer because I sent mine over the holidays but the total effect of all the upgrades I did made for a much better riding experience. I just got back and the riding position and stress on my hands was greatly reduced. Very enjoyable now. Even a small thing like the Throttle Boss made a huge difference. I took that pic with my iphone and its not a good representation color wise. Here's a better one with all the upgrades. Even bikes need introducing.

09concours01.jpg

BLAM!!! :D That Lit Him right up!! Great pic!
I think it's time to make that call about the seat swap! We have ugly weather predicted for the weekend so taking it down now may be the best time. One of my first longer trips will be down there to see and old high school friend and my son and newest addition to the Grandpawdom! My Son is in Webster and my sister is in Clear Lake so I will be in the area! My friend is up in the NW Houston area where I grew up. (Spring Branch) so I will be doin a bit of traveling but that's the best part of it all!
Rev Rider is South West of Houston in El Campo and he is planning on a wrenching session in the near future so keep a watch out for him! That will be a fun and informative little jaunt!

Welcome again "and your little connie too" I think ConRad has a thing for red heads!