• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Another newbie looking for wisdom

bartecki

Tricycle
I want to start my existence in here by saying hello all  ... please show some patience with another newbie :)

I just sold my Honda Shadow 750 and I continue dreaming/planning on getting Concours 14.
I am debating on what year ... which controls how much ... which could mean " why did I go cheap and now I do not have what newer have". So I could get nice 2008 with about 6,000 miles on it for $8,000 and I will need to pay more for 2009, 2010 which will get me possibly a better bike (I am not so crazy about color options). Ultimately 2011 in silver would make my day, but 8,000 vs 14,000 ..?
So what should I do? Please share your opinion. Should I get nice 2008 for less or just save some more and wait for newer model or maybe even wait till I can afford 2011 in silver and be proud and happy?

Like I said "Hi again ...", I hope that at some point I will be able to contribute  ... at this point please help me.
Thanks 

Buy the 08 cheap and ride it a couple years and sell it high.  Buy a cheap 10 or 11 used and ride it a couple years and sell it high.  Years of riding for almost no cost. 

The 10-11 have a bit better heat control which would mean the world to me.  I forget the rest of the upgrades but I think the COG main page has some reports on the difference.  Just clicky the symbol at the top here and be magically transferred.

I just picked up a leftover 09 ABS with zero miles on it for $9399.

The USED BlueBook value on it is higher than the total amount I paid for it, including taxes and reg!

I also went with a left over 09 ABS for a lower price rather than buyin used.
there were no leftover 2010's that i could find locally ... but the 2011's were 6 grand more than my 09.

Something to keep in mind. The 08 may not have a warranty anymore. Where as a left over new bike comes with a 3 year warranty. One mechanical problem may wipe out any savings!

Bartecki,

I purchased an '08 C-14 and rode it for almost 3 years.  Traded it just a few months ago for a leftover 2010 model.  I wanted the heat reduction and all the technology improvements.  Glad I did.  I was able to purchase the 2010 for around $13,500.

if you are interested in a nice used 2008 my son wants to sell his. it has 12500 miles on it and has muzzy dual exhuast and a power comander unit. It runs great and sounds great to. He started driving truck last fall and is never home to ride it anymore and would like to sell it. if you are interested you can email me at wingmanred@ aol.com and i can answer any questions you may have

Hi,
I was thinking 5-6K max on 2008. I am too "newbie" to feel that comfortable with higher millage.
Thanks anyway.

bartecki said:
Hi,
I was thinking 5-6K max on 2008. I am too "newbie" to feel that comfortable with higher millage.
Thanks anyway.

That would be about 1,500 miles a year! Don't take this wrong, but it sounds like you want a bike that was never ridden and is still close to brand new. I think your being way too conservative for a three to four year old motorcycle (2008). One of the 2008 C14's has already passed the 100,000 mile mark! The newer bikes are not like the bikes of old. They will run a lot of miles with the proper maintenance.

bartecki said:
Hi,
Thanks anyway.

It has been my experience that people who purchase sport-touring bikes tend to travel more and ride longer distances overall.  Isn't this what this genre of motorcycle is designed for?  I'm not saying it will be impossible to find, but you may be looking for one longer than you may think if you keep those expectations.  IMHO finding a 2008 with under 15K miles is like finding a sport bike or standard with 5-6K.

Plus Sport touring owners tend to take better care of the bikes and not beat on them as badly as sport bike riders etc do....

So a bike with 15k isn't really a big deal as long as it was maintained...

I've seen new 08's still available.  I bought a new 08 with 0 miles, still in the crate at a local dealer last November for 8100 w 3 yr warranty.  I'm planning to keep it until warranty is out, then trade it for whatever is available in about 2013....or just keep it....

Brez said:
Is anybody aware of any more leftover '09s?
I'm in boston area.
Thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-2009-KAWASAKI-CONCOURS-14-ABS-ZG-1400-BLACK-SALE-/270763392534?pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item3f0ac17e16

It looks like inventory is starting to be drained down. Comb through autotrader and ebay and you should still be able to find one.