• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Another tall guy thread

Big Mike

Mini Bike
Hello all, checking back in at 6'8" around 245lbs (w/o full riding gear) or so here with a 38" inseam...

I see there were some taller rider threads going on but I didn't want to jack another members thread with my question so I started my own..

I am trying to decide now whether or not to pull the trigger on a C14 (again), I sold my highly modded ZX14 last spring because the 'ole knee's started to ache after only an hour and a half of riding..

My ZX had the following comfort mods on it Heli-risers, Puig race screen, gel grips, and Vortex adjustable rearsets..

Any of you long tall guys come off a ZX14 and could maybe tell me if the C14 is that big of an improvement over the ZX comfort wise ?? A test ride probably won't happen anytime soon because I'm in upstate NY and its winter, just sitting on one at the dealer isn't really giving me much..

My thinking is if the C14 isn't that big of a jump comfort wise I'll just buy this years ZX14R and keep riding short rides I guess (sigh)..

Thank You,
Mike

Cap'n Bob said:
Now I really feel short.  ::)

Me too Cap'n...  :'(

saldkjlaksd900.png

I'm 6'7" and hope to have the demo c14 in the next week or so. I'll try to get back here to make a post.  I know many taller folk on here have put on risers, windshield and peg lowering kits....which all seem reasonable to me.  I dont find myself uncomfortable at all sitting in the showroom on the center stand for 10 minutes, but ya know how that goes  :) 

I'm 6' 4.5" and the C14 works fine for me as is.  I rode Honda VFRs for many years, both the '94 and '98 models, and although they fit OK, 300 mile days were tough on the legs.  The C14 is roomier in all respects.  Still have to stretch my legs after a while but not bad.  I've never been on the ZX14 but the C14 must have better dimensions for you...

6'3" and 34" inseam (no offense Cap'n). Around 260. From a 1200 bandit S. Much more leg room on the c14 but still considering drop pegs. More hip pain than knee. Many 500 mile days. 2 up and solo. Nothing a good every hour stretch can't take care of. Lots more manuever room and different foot/leg positons on the 14 while riding.

I would think at 6'-8" just about any bike other then a cruiser with highway pegs would feel a little cramped.  I'm 6'-3" and my legs still feel a little cramped after an hour.  If I'm pulling a long day, I have to get off every hour anyway to stretch for a few minutes.  There are some aftermarket pegs that will allow you to stretch your legs out which I would think would be very necessary for a guy as tall as you.  So I wouldn't hesitate to get a C14, knowing there are some aftermarket pegs that can help you.

OK let me start by saying I'm 6'3" and when I sat on a ZX-14 my knees hit the crease of the tank and it was very uncomfortable, how did you manage?  I have a 34" inseam and have lowered the pegs about an inch.  I have a Corbin seat and when I ride without my sheepskin gel pad it's a little uncomfortable, but with the pad it's perfect.  I'm getting a Russell seat made so it should be the same or a little better in the ergos.

Your best bet would be to borrow or rent a C-14, get a demo ride if possible.  A dealer may let you test drive one but you'll never know if it will suit you on longer rides when the leg cramps start in.

Good luck!

Old Man on a Connie said:
6'3" and 34" inseam (no offense Cap'n). Around 260. From a 1200 bandit S. Much more leg room on the c14 but still considering drop pegs. More hip pain than knee. Many 500 mile days. 2 up and solo. Nothing a good every hour stretch can't take care of. Lots more manuever room and different foot/leg positons on the 14 while riding.

None taken.  :-*  That's one of the advantages of not being able to touch the ground as good. When your more vertically challenged, you don't have to bend your knees quite so much. So although it can be tough on the knees at times. I'm sure it could be worse if I had to bend my knees just a little more than now. So I guess we all get some advantages in our sizes.  ;)

I'm 6'5" with at 38" inseam at 231 pounds and the C14 is one of the more comfortable bikes I've owned with the exception of the stock seat. The way the seat is shaped it kills my rear end after 1.5 hours of riding. I'm in the process of modding it now to make it more comfortable. I also have Buell pegs which drop them 1" down and 1.5" back. The C14 is better ergo wise than the ZX14. The bike seems to fit a tall person pretty well. Heck, some guys with a short inseam have problems touching the ground when stopped.