• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Any recourse for a defective tire...?

ronnielyons

Bicycle
Installed a Pilot Road III on the front of the strom last fall and have about 100 miles on it. Noticed a slight "hop" between 35 and 45 MPH. Took it off today to rebalance and discovered the wheel assembly is in perfect balance but the TIRE is out of round by about a 16th of an inch over about a 60 degree spread!

I already suspect Dennis Kirk is going to send me back to Michelin and they're gonna try and get out of it. I'm curious, I can't be the only one who's encountered this. Anyone else had this, or something similar happen and get a replacement from the manufacturer?

Ronnie Lyons
Meridian, ID

Somebody had the same thing happen not too long ago.  I don't recall either the manufacturer or the vendor, but in his case the vendor took care of him right away.  Apparently there was a known bad run of whatever tires they were.  I hope that person pops up here.  Best of luck.

And I was just saying yesterday how the PR3's seemed to be having a lot less issues than the that notoriously inconsistent quality PR2. I hope I wasn't wrong when I said that and that the PR3's will still be more reliable in the way of quality than the PR2's. Hopefully the PR3 will be different and maybe this will just be another of the fewer isolated incidents. Please let us know how you make out.

A little off the Michelin topic but I had a similar issue with a set of Avon's when I had my FJR.  The front tire developed a slight hop at a certain speed.  Not terribly noticeable but I could feel it and it was very unsettling.  I then rode slowly through a parking lot at 5-10mph and could actually detect the front of the bike moving up/down as I rolled along. 

I brought it back to the shop where I purchased the tires from and had the owner take it for a quick ride through the lot and he came back with a confirmation of what I detected.  He reached out to Avon and I pulled the wheel off the bike.  He installed a new tire and it was pretty painless.  I should note....I already had about 1000miles on the tire when this happened. 

With an on line retailer like Dennis Kirk...I would expect the logistics will be a little more involved but would hope they would support you and work to get you a different tire.  I also do business with DK and am curious to hear how this unfolds for you...

None said:
Installed a Pilot Road III on the front of the strom last fall and have about 100 miles on it. Noticed a slight "hop" between 35 and 45 MPH. Took it off today to rebalance and discovered the wheel assembly is in perfect balance but the TIRE is out of round by about a 16th of an inch over about a 60 degree spread!

I already suspect Dennis Kirk is going to send me back to Michelin and they're gonna try and get out of it. I'm curious, I can't be the only one who's encountered this. Anyone else had this, or something similar happen and get a replacement from the manufacturer?

Ronnie Lyons
Meridian, ID

Ronnie, is the tire completely seated on the rim?
Sometime the tire just doesn't fully snap into place and get fully seated.
I had this happen and all that was necessary was to add more air and it popped into the seat.
I had to drop the pressure back down to normal after doing this.
Just a thought.
Brent

Posted this on the V-Strom forum as well and it turns out a rider named RealShelby hit it right on the head. The bead wasn't seated all the way. Broke the bead, lubed it good and reseated it. I have never encountered a bead that didn't seat "vertically" in relation to the wheel.

One other thing I've recently discovered for those that mount their own tires. Before you seat the bead, if you balance, hang the deflated tire and wheel on the balancer stand and rotate the tire around the wheel to try and correct any imbalance, instead of automatically sticking weights on it. You may get away without having to add weights.

Ronnie Lyons
Meridian, ID

None said:
One other thing I've recently discovered for those that mount their own tires. Before you seat the bead, if you balance, hang the deflated tire and wheel on the balancer stand and rotate the tire around the wheel to try and correct any imbalance, instead of automatically sticking weights on it. You may get away without having to add weights.

The tire manufacturers put a dot (usually yellow) to indicate that spot should be located where the valve stem is.  The first time I change a tire on a new bike, I always balance the wheel first (before putting the tire on) to locate and mark the heavy spot on the wheel.  I then mount the tire and re-balance and with the yellow spot where it's supposed to be, I rarely need to add any additional weight (depending on the tire, of course.)  :motonoises: