• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Any Rumors, Predictions Or Suggestions For The 2017 National?

I'd like to see it in s.e. Ohio!  Plenty of QUALITY roads to play on, plenty of things to see-n-do!

COG Nation,

Nebraska, we have lots of 90 degree right and left hand curves and a few cloverleaf interchanges on I-80 :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Really,  British Columbia, Canada would be great!!!!

I'm betting it's heading for somewhere in the North Central region. Just guessing.

Chris_Baum_NE said:
COG Nation,

Nebraska, we have lots of 90 degree right and left hand curves and a few cloverleaf interchanges on I-80 :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Really,  British Columbia, Canada would be great!!!!

It will never be in Canada. Can't bring guns.  ::)

Chris_Baum_NE said:
Nebraska, we have lots of 90 degree right and left hand curves and a few cloverleaf interchanges on I-80

Nebraska - the Dragons evil brother... 11 turns in 318 miles  :D :rotflmao:

DeansZG said:
  I'd like to see it in s.e. Ohio!  Plenty of QUALITY roads to play on, plenty of things to see-n-do!

Id be all for that, for certain..... :great: :great: :great: :beerchug:

Camper Dave said:
I think it's time for the West Coast folks to step up and invite the club over  :beerchug:
If you'll recall... the WEst Coast folks stepped up and held last year's rally.  Of course they didn't invite us ALL the way over.  ;)

Dave just wants an excuse to come to Cali, Rev.

Dave - how much money you got? We looked into before and it would be real expensive. Oh, and practically impossible to find a venue in the high season, which is just about every month except September and October.  :rotflmao:

Who said Cali?? I just said West Coast... Could be Alaska  :nananana:
OK, you guy made me think... Ow... Too early for that....
My research leads me to only 1 conclusion...

2017 National will be....

Come on UP to Michagan

MAN OF BLUES said:
DeansZG said:

Definitely have the roads. Athens is bigger than Helen and lots of camping but that would take some doin...

Chris_Baum_NE said:
JPavlis_CA said:
Chris_Baum_NE said:
Nebraska, we have lots of 90 degree right and left hand curves and a few cloverleaf interchanges on I-80

Nebraska - the Dragons evil brother... 11 turns in 318 miles  :D :rotflmao:

Now that's Funny!!

You can thank Jerry for that one, I stole it from him.  ;D

freebird6 said:
MAN OF BLUES said:
DeansZG said:

Definitely have the roads. Athens is bigger than Helen and lots of camping but that would take some doin...

But Historic Marietta Ohio, is an awesome venue, Great host hotel for a good group price, and food galore, walking distance to many features, o the river, awesome roads in every direction, and access to more awsome W.Va. and Pennsylvania riding spots...... win win location...

gsun said:
...It will never be in Canada. Can't bring guns.  ::)

If only we could convince'em they didn't need them up here...  :truce:

Just don't stop for a selfie with any bears or wolves...

Jamie

Classvino said:
gsun said:
...It will never be in Canada. Can't bring guns.  ::)

If only we could convince'em they didn't need them up here...  :truce:

Just don't stop for a selfie with any bears or wolves...

Though a little further east would certainly be easier.  Canada's pretty wide...

Jamie

MAN OF BLUES said:
freebird6 said:
MAN OF BLUES said:
DeansZG said:

But Historic Marietta Ohio, is an awesome venue, Great host hotel for a good group price, and food galore, walking distance to many features, o the river, awesome roads in every direction, and access to more awsome W.Va. and Pennsylvania riding spots...... win win location...

Yes, Marietta has it's historic district & as noted, it's just across the river from West-by-God-Virginia... but I believe that the Salt Fork State Resort Park might be the optimal rally central locale, similar to Canaan Valley back in '07! Shaded, camping facilities w/in walking distance of the lodge, not miles away at some hard-packed, dusty fairgrounds either!  Close enough to Cambridge(12 miles east) (& Marietta, about 45 minutes to the south) without the hassles of big city traffic!!  ;D

So who and how are these locations picked? Is it a rotation thing between areas? I feel really bummed out not to be able to go this year, hopefully next year is not too far so that I can attend.  It just wasn't doable this time around... been that kind of year.

And yes it would be cool if it was held in Canada.  And after a while you'd be having so much fun, you wouldn't even notice your gun is gone, eh!

S/F is nice, but its very expensive, we could never get close to the prices we had at Cannan there...
iirc, they also have like 150 rooms in the lodge, and cabins are high priced..( been there before...)

but, if you know something I'm not privy to (till thursday night...) :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
I'd say its a nice place...
I just love Marietta city, there are a bunch of available competetive priced motel rooms, lots of good food, and an awesome Venue at the LaFayette Hotel, which has offered up some pretty attractive group prices in the past, I think the best part about it is you can get a cab, and drink at some fun spots, and get back to Hotel Central, for less than $10, or simply walk, it's a target rich environment.... :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :great:

and camping within walking distance :motonoises:

Bikersuzzz said:
So who and how are these locations picked? Is it a rotation thing between areas? I feel really bummed out not to be able to go this year, hopefully next year is not too far so that I can attend.  It just wasn't doable this time around... been that kind of year.

And yes it would be cool if it was held in Canada.  And after a while you'd be having so much fun, you wouldn't even notice your gun is gone, eh!

It is up to the individual areas to Propose a sight, and venue, and support to make it happen, this all happens a year in advance, about the same time as the next years venue is revealed, at the current rally banquet....then, a vote by the BOD and such, is taken..

so, next years venue has already been decided upon, and will be revealed this thursday night...and likely a slide show and presentation will be shown to get everyone revved up...so to speak...

having been involved in this stuff prior, I will say that there is a monstrous amount of work, and involvement to pull these off successfully,

While it would be a first, having it in Canada(cool idea)  in my opinion, would be a logistical nightmare, as the border crossings, insurance, available members to do the legwork, etc' are something I cant see happening.

tune in Thursday, and see where 2017 is gonna be... ( pray for Ohio, it's a day trip for you.... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :motonoises: :great: :great:  )

But if it's not in Ohio this year it can be in the future. Sounds like we have a couple Rally Masters just waiting :)

Oooooh, I know the amount of work involved, I'm one of the cofounding members of a local bike rally in my area.  I've never worked so much in my life than when I was working to organize that rally.

That being said, I don't see the border crossing as being such a big deal (I cross a few times every year).  Yeah, it's a pain in the you know what but as long as you don't have a criminal record, crossing to the States from Canada or to Canada from the States should be about the same... you smile to the nice person in the uniform, you tell him you plan to play nice and be on your merry way.  As for insurance, I'm not sure what you mean.  I've never had to do anything special to mine, it's good anywhere I go, but that might be different in the States, I'm not familiar with your system. So our only issue to organize a National Rally would be to find enough bodies to help organize the thing and as you said, there's not enough of us around heere to do that so it won't happen anytime soon.  I already knew that, my comment was more wishful thinking than anything else.

So I'll be praying for Ohio!!!

Bikersuzzz said:
Oooooh, I know the amount of work involved, +1
That being said, I don't see the border crossing as being such a big deal (I cross a few times every year).  Yeah, it's a pain in the you know what but as long as you don't have a criminal record, crossing to the States from Canada or to Canada from the States should be about the same... you smile to the nice person in the uniform, you tell him you plan to play nice and be on your merry way.>>>SNIP<<<

So I'll be praying for Ohio!!!

For me, it's about 4 miles (the way the crow flies across the Detroit River) & only 15 miles by highway(& Ambassador Bridge)... But, due to the aforementioned personal protection issue, I will not get a passport or an enhanced drivers license or be spending any money over there!

DeansZG said:
For me, it's about 4 miles (the way the crow flies across the Detroit River) & only 15 miles by highway(& Ambassador Bridge)... But, due to the aforementioned personal protection issue, I will not get a passport or an enhanced drivers license or be spending any money over there!

You have a right to your opinion and you can spend your hard earned money how ever you want.  I totally respect that.  But I do have one question...  Your regular driver's licence is not good in Canada???  I've been driving in the US with my regular driver's licence for years and I've never heard anything about needing a different one.  I think I better find out if I've been driving illegally all these years.  Imagine the mess if I had an accident.

gPink said:
...and what's the problem with a criminal record? Doesn't seem to matter at the southern border.

Dunno, I don't make the rules. All I know is some people I know tried to get into the US but couldn't cross the border because of their CRs and vice versa.  And as to why your neighbors to the south are not so picky, there too, I don't know.

Bikersuzzz said:
DeansZG said:

You have a right to your opinion and you can spend your hard earned money how ever you want.  I totally respect that.  But I do have one question...  Your regular driver's licence is not good in Canada???  I've been driving in the US with my regular driver's licence for years and I've never heard anything about needing a different one.  I think I better find out if I've been driving illegally all these years.  Imagine the mess if I had an accident.

I checked and US Drivers Licenses are good in Canada when visiting, at least a Texas one is.  It must be good because I received a warning citation for speed on one of my visits to Canada.

Most major insurance carriers include coverage in Canada with their US policy, at least mine does.  It still would be well advised to always check with your insurance company before crossing to make sure you are covered.

Thanks for your response Fred.  I'm pretty sure that my driver's licence is good in the US but just to be safe, I'll be making some phone calls.  As for insurance, it says on my insurance card that it's good all over North America so that's a non issue.

Having been up to Canada seven times, I'm "experienced"  :D

Your US State issued drivers license is fine for travel in Canada. It's recognized by all Canadian LEO's.

You will need to Passport to cross the border - both ways.

If you have a DUI on your record, Canada will NOT let you in.

If you have a possession of marijuana charge, no problem.

Your insurance should be good in Canada, but read your policy or call your agent.

If it is your first visit, you will be asked to go in to the Immigration Office so they can grill you. You will need to fill out a form, provide an 8x10 color glossy with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back... Oh wait, that was a flashback, never mind. But you will have to go in the office and fill out a form, and if they think you are not being honest about things, they will tear your bike apart, and then leave you to put it all back together if they don't find anything. And be honest with the CBP, but don't volunteer too much.

The large, busy border crossings can be slow or fast, depending on time of day. Coming back to the US, the little border crossings in the middle of nowhere will be slow because they don't get many visitors other than the locals and having someone new to mess with is a bit fun.

This knowledge is based on actual events.  ;D

fred-houston said:
Bikersuzzz said:
DeansZG said:

I checked and US Drivers Licenses are good in Canada when visiting, at least a Texas one is.  It must be good because I received a warning citation for speed on one of my visits to Canada.

Most major insurance carriers include coverage in Canada with their US policy, at least mine does.  It still would be well advised to always check with your insurance company before crossing to make sure you are covered.
I think most of the question about insurance would be the insurance that COG has to get for events like a National Rally.

As for DeansZG's comment about enhanced driver's licenses, he's referring to the driver's licenses that work in place of a passport for traveling.  I'm not sure about what states offer them, but I know that NY does.  It requires some extra documentation and a fee and works in place of a passport for traveling between Canada, the US, Mexico, and some other countries, provided you are using surface transportation.  Not accepted for air travel. 

I've run into the border crossing issue trying to get a rally for another group done in Canada.  Several of that group's members have previous records for relatively minor criminal offenses (misdemeanor drug offenses and similar) and they can't cross the border. 

MAN OF BLUES said:
Also.the enhanced security forcing a passport, or passport card to travel north, but not vice versa iirc...(canada is worried about terrorists coming in..  :rotflmao: )

I think you have that backwards. I believe you can go into Canada without a passport. You need the passport to return to the US.

Topic strayed a little, let's nudge it back toward speculation on Thursday night's announcement for 2017, please.  ;D

The border crossing topic is a good one, it merits its own thread IMHO.

kv5e said:
Topic strayed a little, let's nudge it back toward speculation on Thursday night's announcement for 2017, please.  ;D

The border crossing topic is a good one, it merits its own thread IMHO.

Sorry..... post removed to prevent lockdown ....
Have a nice day, ride safe.

next years National WILL be held at.......

some cool place in the U.S.A. !!! lol...sorry, i HAD to  :nananana: :rotflmao:

I had a conversation tonight here at the national with someone who is an "insider".  I heard that next year's rally will be a cog cruise to the Caribbean! 

I like the idea of a Cog cruise but leave the bikes home.
What I've heard from friends that have brought bikes on a cruise, they wouldn't do it again. Too many hassles,
Getting the bike to the boat, especially in winter weather to NY ports.
SO wanting more wardrobe changes meant secondary vehicles for luggage transport.
Most ports only about a half day of riding
Worrying about bike walking away while parked while sightseeing.
Extra cost not worth ride time.

Back to topic, it's Thursday, is the banquet tonight?
Sorry I couldn't make this years but next year.........

So can we expect someone at the rally to use Periscope to broadcast the announcement live?

I could care less about a cruise either!    https://cid.oxfordjournals.org/content/29/4/737.full.pdf

The only cruise I'll do is the one where I'm seated on the bike moving along down the road!

Reiterating about the enhanced license, Outback Jon stated it correctly!  I have no beef w/ the Canadian citizenry, just their laws! :-X
Shame too, as there's some nice riding to be had up north...

Regardless of all this national locale speculation, I sure hope the rally is at a totally different venue from years' past!

Wow !, Key West Florida !, The riding will be boring but the scenery  will be nice.

:nananana: just kidding

Go here NOW!

I couldn't get it working on IE11 in WIN7, but it works fine in Chrome.

https://video.nest.com/live/festhalle

Outback Jon said:
I'm going to guess...

North Central Area...

Missouri...

Lake of the Ozarks.

Show Me Mo Twisties!

got the werd...
yep...
Ozrk Mtn Dare devils... here we come. :great: :great: :great: :great: :great:

JPavlis_CA said:
Go here NOW!

I couldn't get it working on IE11 in WIN7, but it works fine in Chrome.

https://video.nest.com/live/festhalle

looks empty now... but good Blues music runnin, and obligatory soused people drifting around...

wow... great blues band... and nobody in there... what an insult to the band....

12 people, 4 are under 4 ft tall...

but i'm gonna listen to them till they are done, sitting here... in Ohio.... :-[
bummer they got hired, and not listened to....a kinda wasted effort.... :mad: :mad: :mad:

thanks for the live cam link, I really enjoyed that band for the half hour I saw. :great:

Indeed the band was good and folks all left.  It WAS hot though.  Fortunately. I had margaritas.  :))

Rev Ryder said:
Indeed the band was good and folks all left.  It WAS hot though.  Fortunately. I had margaritas.  :))

Well, Pamela and I could have endured schnitzel, brauts, sauerbraten, and some twisties; not mention the great time with all of COGdom present (best reason), but WORK and a project nearing completion meant self control had to prevail.

I keep hearing tutonic drinking songs and the clink/clank in my mind of great steins of BIER being hoisted with the wiping of foam from the facial hair following    :beerchug:  .........but margaritas...... ANYTIME!

Lake of the Ozarks!!!!!! Be there or be Square!  ;D

gr33nmAn

Lake of the Ozarks, MO. I'm already decided to go but need someone to share campsite due to $$.

Plenty of time. The glide will have 100,000 miles on it by then.

Ozark Mountain roads are spectacular just ask the folks that have gone to Cliff's or the Spider Ride. Also a place to stay that has a banquet hall on site big enough to hold us and I hear our own private campground. When can I sign up ?

Reservations Made!!! Be there on Sunday to help out too.

Pamela and Craig