• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Anybody Metzler 110/90-18 front tire?

jmoretz

Bicycle
Just curious if there are any clearence issues? I have been running wing sized Michlens with no trouble... Already swapped rear tire to the dreaded ME 880's. I honestly see no trouble with them and i hear they wear like iron. JMHO 

I ran a Metzler ME33 in a 110/90 long time ago. No problems with clearance, but there isn't much room in there. I picked up a piece of tar/ashphalt that got wedged between the tire and fender about halfway near the top of the fender. I found out about it when I started noticing a burning rubber/plastic smell. It had gotten hot enough to melt a hole in the fender by the time I discoverd it.

BTW, the 880 front is a 130/70. No problems with clearance, but it steers like a truck. Definitely takes more effort, but sticks pretty good.

ME 880 Marathon Touring Front Tire 110/90H-18 is the tire that I ordered? 130/70 was not an option.

I am replacing a 130/70 Pilot GT front tire.

Thanks,
John

Yes they wear like iron.  But watch out in the wet because they stick like iron too.
I had them on my bike when I bought it and though they were OK.  Then I bought some Bridgestone Battle axes in 45V and could not belive how much better the bike handled and the brakes didn't lock up the tires every time I used them in the rain.

On the late c10 there are no clearing problems and the best is that the profile is so that you use all the tire with, so you are actually using all 110  mm of the tire profile.

Just returned from a 6000 km tour to the former USSR countries Moldavia and Rumania and i can tell they are perfect to the roads they have there( they are bad ore even worse ore no roads), my front and rear have now 25000 km and i have 3 mm front and 5 mm on the rear, new 5 and 8,5 mm front and rear.
On the back i am on my second 880, have only tried the 160/80-16, that is the one designed for the gold Wing 1500, with that combo you raised the front and rear the same amount, so you have no handling problems that others report about, in fact they are easy i the turns alt ho they are heavy. lots of rubber!
On the old c10 you need to raise the front fender a little not a big issue i have tried it on my first c10.

Wow thanks...

I have a 2000 with 70,000 miles on it. Glad to hear no clearence issues. Ill bet the roads are rough over there.

john

I just completed a 4k mile trip to Colorado and Utah with a newly mounted standard size 880 on the rear.  It had works just fine with the Metz Z6 radial on the front.  I beleive the Wing sized 880's are what gives this tire such a bad rap.  I used a standard 880 on my previous Connie with no issues.  i don't scrape pegs but a get damn close :)