• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Anyone ever bring a C14 to Sturgis?

professorkonk

Hey, Thinking about joining some buddies in Sturgis this summer. . . last time I went was on a Valkyrie, which was appropriate to some degree. And I was traveling with some really huge people on Harleys -- we fit right in. Just wondering what kind of trouble the Connie would attract.  :truce:
Might be the worst place to be on a Concours, given how crowded all the best roads get.  Anyway, any experience or advice is appreciated.

Actually, Mama K was gonna bring their truckload of brand-new, not even for sale yet C-14's to Sturgis in 2007, but brought them to the COG National in WV instead  :clap: . I saw quite a few C-14 at Sturgis in 2008, even Corbin had one in their vendor area, selling seats and trunks.

Hit the "good roads" (14a..16a..87..) early, the further you get away from town the less traffic you'll have to deal with.

Wear a do-rag, you'll be fine  :D

Why go to Sturgis when you can hang out with many other Concours owners at the the COG national the same week?

You never heard of Harley get together's where they sell chances to "strike a Jap bike" with a sledge hammer? A bet a C14 mixed in with 10,000 Harley's may be a good candidate!!!  :))

I went to Sturgis back in 1985 on my brand new KZ1100R. I felt like a pork chop in a Synagogue! ;D That was a long time ago though, I'm sure there is a different type of clientele there now as it is much more commercialized. Curiously, I bought a Harley in 2006 and didn't feel any urge to go back there, once was enough I guess! ;)

I went last year with a small group of Harleys and a Goldwing. While Harleys dominate the landscape, there are plenty of other bikes there, so really nothing to worry about. Besides, there's really nothing to see in Sturgis itself. Get out and enjoy all of the fantastic local riding opportunities.

If you're going to go, make sure you make your hotel reservations well in advance. Don't fool yourself
into thinking that you'll find something when you get there. It won't happen. We stayed outside of Sturgis
in Sundance, Wyoming. Nice sleepy little town with a few decent, but small bars for a drink after a long ride.

Good luck.

--Corey

Going to Sturgis in a month with my wife. Meeting friends coming from Chicago! I have an 08 C14 and my wife will be driving a Kawa Vulcan 900. My other friends from Southern California cannot come. Looking forward to it. Will send comments when we return! I will be looking for others!

8)

No, I had not heard of that but it does beg a question: why would a gathering of motorcycles and motorcycle riders even have a sledgehammer with them? Who carries the sledgehammer? Is it a fold- up sledgehammer? When you hang around with a group of Harley riders, do you often hear things like 'Hey Sammy, pass me the sledgehammer?'

Then of course, there are the second- generation questions like why don't we have any sledgehammers at COG functions? Should we vote to elect someone to bring a sledgehammer? Are there motorcycle- specific events, other than hitting a Jap bike with one, that we could arrange for our sledgehammer, assuming we can get someone to bring one with him or her? If we sold a chance to use our sledgehammer to hit a Harley, would it really make any difference? I mean after all, if the Harley ran poorly and made a lot of noise after being struck with our sledgehammer, how would we know it was due to damage we caused and not just a 'run of the mill' Harley anyway? Have all Harleys been struck with a sledgehammer? That would explain so much.....

:rotflmao:

Brian

Cap'n Bob said:
You never heard of Harley get together's where they sell chances to "strike a Jap bike" with a sledge hammer? A bet a C14 mixed in with 10,000 Harley's may be a good candidate!!!  :))

I used to live in Florida and attended the spring & fall Daytona bikefests and witnessed the actual bashing of jap bikes for a few dollars.  Pitiful to be sure but on the whole everyone got along just fine.  One guy on a Harley (with a stage 3 kit) harrassed me at a stop sign saying his bike would blow my Suzuki 1200 bandit away...well, last I saw of him, he was just a little pinprick in my rear view mirror so I guess I can see why some Harley guys would want to take a few swings at a superior type of bike.  I say, to each his own no matter what you ride but challenge me once, and I'll show you what really works on the road.

I live only a few hours away from Sturgis and have never wanted to attend mainly because I would feel hugely out of place on a japanese bike, especially since I wear full face helmets, gloves, and don't drink and drive  :)

I may go to Sturgis next year just to add it to my list of things I've done..... once.

I have enough Harleys in my mc that I know what its like. One of them in particular has a S&S motor and thinks he is a badass. A couple times he rode sweep on long rides and I made sure I was right in front of him. At a couple T intersections I also made sure the rest of the group got through and we had to catch up. When I could roll left or right to go catch the group, I'd lite her up while still leaned over for the turn onto the road and catch the group quickly. Then ride along sedately watching him catch up in my mirror. After a while doing that, he quite giving me any guff.

At Gettysburg Bike Week some badass with a built Harley egged me into a roll on from about 10-15 mph and for about 2 seconds his open exhaust hurt my ears and then I was so far down the road I coasted to a slow U turn at an intersection a mile away and was headed back when he flew past me, that Harley straining for all its worth to try to catch me. He had lost before he began.

I'm heading to Sturgis... Funny, I owned an Ultra and never had a chance or an urge to go. Sold that bike and got an '08 Connie. Now I get asked from a friend who wants to go site seeing all around Sturgis! I am all about the riding so we are going. He has an Ultra Classic. Should be fun! Side note.... Rode his bike last night. Let's just say I stepped up for less money. 2 thumbs up for the marketing team of Harley, because if it were not for them making Harley a cult classic, they would have a small client base!  ;)

As part of my 12K bucket list tour of the country, I made it a point to pass through Sturgis on the way to the Black Hills. I was there on July 19th and found Sturgis pleasantly quiet but with some early comers already parking their Harleys in front of one big watering hole in town. It was probably the best time to be there since it wasn't crowded and I could enjoy the rides in the Black Hills without getting stuck behind Harleys and unable pass (legally) in the twisties.

Don

My C-14 and I have ridden from Southern California to Sturgis twice. I worked for a large aftermarket exhaust manufacturer and worked there every year. I have also ridden there on a Ducati Monster, Excelsior Henderson Super X and Victory Vision. The C-14 has been the most fun, especially when a couple of HD decided they wanted to show how fast their bikes were. Why don't they do a little research before they try to pick a race? I never got any crap or for riding the Duc or Kawi, but the Vision brought out a lot of interesting comments.

Roll what ya want, the folks in Sturgis don't care what you ride.  I have been there on a Harley, but could have been any bike.  The roads during bike week are just infested with motorcycles, so ride time is just a slow crawl.  For me, the attraction is the freak show of people watching.  We were camped 2 blocks away from the Hells Angels house, and if they hadn't been flying colors, never woulda known they were there.  It is a different show, after dark.  Don't let a prejudice about the "HD" rider keep you away.

Just returned from Sturgis today with my wife. Had a great time and have many pictures that I will try to upload soon. It is slow riding in the hills and attractions during the Rally week,but what a show of bikes and fellow riders! Saw only 4 other C-14's and 2 C-10's but we waved to each other though I never got a chance to talk to any of them. Fun,Fun,and Fun all week. First time to Sturgis and will not be the last!
8)