• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Anyone have experience with Avon Roadrider tires?

dysldu

Tricycle
Hi All,

Like most of you, I'm trying to figure out which tires to buy for my C-10.  I'm looking for good traction (especially in the rain) and good handling for semi-aggressive riding.  I like the Avon Azaro on the rear but only get 6k miles out of them.  I've looked into Dunlop Elite 3s and Avon Venoms.  From all the reviews I've read they don't seem to fit my requirements.

The Avon AM 26 Roadriders (bias ply) can be had in our sizes (110-80-18 front, 150-80-16 rear) and I've seen good reviews for traction/handling/wear.  But the Avon site says they are for mid-range bikes even though the load ratings are comparable to Azaros and Storms.  I've looked at reviews on tire sites and they are favorable including a couple good reviews from Connie riders.  But I can't find any mention of them on this forum.

Any of you have any experience with them?

I have had a couple of set of the Roadriders. They are a nice handling tire. Roadriders are a bias ply tire, and the Storm and Azaro are radial. I have had the the Storm/Azaro set as well, but had a very uncomfortable ball bearing ride with them, along with head shake. I do not get that with the Roadriders. Wear wise, they are virtually the same for me. I get about 5K out of the rears and double that on the fronts.

Running the Roadrider on the rear, first time, usually run the Azaro.
Seems quite fine, good handling. I have 6k on it, and I think I'm about 4/32's of tread left?
No wet weather issues. Did have the rear step out, in the dry, on a slow speed right hander into the neighborhood when I went through a patch of sugar sand. No drama when traction re-engaged, my bad for feeling frisky and not noticing the sand in the first place.
I'm thinking I might get 8k or more, usually 6-7k for the Azaro? All in all, I like the tire. No experience on the front roadrider. (Yes, the horrors, I mixed bias and radial, and survived  :))

I am also concerned about wear vs price, but I've just accepted the fact that I gotta pay the bucks a couple times a year to keep tires under me that I have confidence in. The Avons have been fitting the bill for me lately. I just haven't gotten round to trying another flavor yet. (did do the "evil" GW front yearsssss ago, that lasted about 2 months before I swapped it)

I have roadriders on my 98, about 2k on them.  I really liked them for handling and stability.  I've ridden in snow, ice, rain, sand, leaves, and dry pavement, slab and twisties.  I have not one complaint, and have never had her step out on me or anything.  I run them 40f/42r single and 40f/44r 2up.  I have upgraded to 17" f&r and would make you a deal on them if you want.  I run the roadriders on my CB400F as well and that thing will get over in a corner like nothing I've ever ridden or even stood by.