• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Anyone interested in a "battery out" kit similar to the ZRX kit?

A couple friends are using the tiny Shorai batteries in their bikes, and after taking some rough measurements I was considering putting together a battery out kit. If you are not familiar with the one for the ZRX let me break it down simply.

The battery out kit on a ZRX takes the battery and moves it further up and forward leaving you with a nice large empty space under the seat. It ends up being large enough to hold a gallon of milk and a loaf of bread.
batteryoutkit_primarypic.jpg

DSC01469.jpg

Mine would relocate the battery to outside the battery box to the right side OR to behind the battery box. Custom brackets will be made, it won't be hanging or dangling. If I decide on the right side a new plastic mold can be made to use all the space of the current battery box, plus the space behind it (towards the fender) and perhaps slightly lower.

Should be able to get roughly the same amount of space if not more as on the ZRX battery out kit offers.

One thing, you will need to either get a Shorai battery or a smaller standard battery as a replacement.

Is this something you guys would be interested in? Any preferences? Aluminum case\plastic mold? Battery to the right or behind?

I'm all ears.

Before everyone gets excited this is just a thought for now, I'll work on a mockup in cardboard over the next couple weeks to see the different ways this can be developed.

I personally would LOVE to have a good amount of underseat storage for items I always keep on the bike but seldom require immediate access to thus allowing me to keep my saddlebags\trunk empty.

I think it's a great idea. I would prefer to have it surrounded in plastic to protect it and the bike in case of a drop. It may be legally governed for safety for that matter as well..?

Interesting, but I can get a gallon of milk and loaf of bread in my sidebags already. Not that I'd actually carry groceries under there, but what does the temperature get to, being close to the engine?

Scott

That's interesting, I'm just curious what that potentially does to running out of juice out on a ride.. (Speaking of, and not to threadjack or anything, anyone bump started one of these bikes?)

"(Speaking of, and not to threadjack or anything, anyone bump started one of these bikes?)"
Yes it can be done.  A few guys to push or park on a big enough hill.  Fires right up.

smithr-scad said:
"(Speaking of, and not to threadjack or anything, anyone bump started one of these bikes?)"
Yes it can be done.  A few guys to push or park on a big enough hill.  Fires right up.

A few? Are you calling me fat?  ???

:rotflmao:

;D

Joe did you push start me by yourself?  Fat ... no  you are only half the man you once were.

smithr-scad said:
Joe did you push start me by yourself?

Big Bend 2010. In the snow. Well, sorta. LOL!  ;D

Fat ... no  you are only half the man you once were.

About 55 lbs and counting.  :)

(And as to the thread, I like the idea of that space under the seat, I hope to see how this progresses. I could carry a lot more wire ties, bandaids and a Coleman lantern for Ted under there...And maybe my lucky cold weather gear!!)  ;D

That would be a great setup. Of course cost is of major consideration but to gain storage like that would be great. The battery looks like it's about twice the cost of a quality maintenance free battery but the service life of them is reported as better.

Keep us informed as it comes together. Plastic liner would be fine to me.