• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

...Anyone tried changing out the c-14 tires??

... Or maybe just removing the wheels and taking the rim/tire down to have it changed out...that is old tire removed and new tire mounted/ballanced?  Thanks ;)

I do all my own tire changes at home myself. Less chance of getting my tire sensors broken, and this also allows me to buy my tires over the internet at cheaper prices.

I've been doing mine for a couple of years. It takes some time and effort but is worth it to not have any doubts about the way it was done. I have been in a hurry though and taken the tire/rim to my dealer. They get it done quicker (takes me an hour or more and they do it in about 15 min). For me it's mostly doing it myself for the satisfaction of having done it myself. Also the more hands on time you have with the bike the more you can do when something goes south. Sometimes you find something that is about to break and get it fixed before you end up on the side of the road. Kind of a ramble there but there it is. If you got the time and ability it's worth the effort. If you got the time but lack the ability, I bet someone on the forum that is glad to assist/instruct will help out. That's the beauty of COG.

I used to remove the wheels and take them to CycleGear for tire changes.  Time consuming unless the shop is near home or work, so I don't make dedicated trips.  It sure is a treat to have the ability to do it at home.  Actually, mine uses a trailer hitch mount, so I could take the changer to a Track Day if I'm crazy enough. ;D

There are numerous side bennies.  Being able to patch a puncture properly/conveniently/cheaply is one.  Being able to pick and choose replacement valve body is another.  I've got a set of anodized AL 90deg valves that'll go on on the next tire change.  You could do all this if you have a good tire place that'll work with you, but if you don't...

Nowadays, I can't wait for my tires to wear out, so I can try on some other tires. >:D

Thanks for the great feed back...!  What do I need to change the tires...and ballance them and where can I get the best deal to do this?  Thanks again fellows!!!  ;)

Hello I like to do my own work because I can clean
the inside of the wheel when I got my changer I broke
The wheel down to find slot of crud around the bead
Plus I can look at everything  and take as much time
Balancing as I like I bought the nomar jrpro with
Monster balancer it will do car tires too its expensive
but I remember changing minibike tires when i was
a kid and I thought there's no way I'm gonna fight
a tire I takes longer for everything else the tire
Removal and installation is so easy it's not worth
Mentioning in the procedure almost.

you can get a few different models to achieve changing and balancing your own tires. i recommend you get a service manual for removal and reassembly. i did hear that Harbor Freight brought back the tire changer but cant confirm. i have a tire changer from No-Mar with balancer and love it.  a bit pricey but when you use it 5 times a year and will pay for it self.

Years ago I changed bias-ply motorcycle tires with nothing more than a set of tire irons.  Took a long time and scratched up the cast aluminum rims a bit, but I got 'er done.  Haven't tried that stunt with radial tires, but if you get a set of rim protectors, I suppose it is still possible with nothing but hand tools.

You'll do better with a dedicated tire changer.  There are a host of different model and makes, just as there are bikes of varying features and price range.  They all get the job done at the end of the day.  I don't get to play in my garage as much as I used to be able to, so I prefer to make it "quality time" with some quality tools.  So I got a No-Mar Jr Pro with the hitch mount option.  No-Mar puts together a kit with mount-demount bar, clamps, lube, etc. that makes the whole system a joy to operate.  I'm actually changing a couple of sets of tires early just so I get an excuse to play with it.

Harbor Freight brought back the changer, but I don't think anyone found the motorcycle adpapter part there yet.

I can't wait for the chance to change my own tires.

I just finished spooning some new PR3's on my C14, old-school style using tire irons and rim protectors. Total time was about an hour and a half. Don’t let the shaft drive intimidate you, it’s a snap to get the wheel off the bike. This was the first time I have removed the rear wheel of a shaft drive bike and it was very easy, easier in fact than on a typical Sportbike. Changing tires on a bike is easy when you use the right technique and tools.

slidebite said:
and I just can't break that tire off the rear rim. Any thoughts?

Did you let the air out

I know it simple but not sure if you overlooked it or not

Last month i had a 6,000km-trip with 5 other friends around the country.

2 R1200GS, 1 F800GS, 1 Dorsoduro and myself C14-2010

I changed the rear tire, front brake discs + pads.  The front tire was only 7,000Km so i didn't change it.

Middle of the trip, after some very bumpy road the front got flat.  First plug was fine but on the 2nd plug i was lazy to trim down the plug and it got torn off.  Doubled and then tripled the plug didn't help.  It was mid-night in the middle of nowhere in Central Vietnam where the road cut thru the wood .....lucky that my buddy F800GS got a spare 17" tube so we removed the front wheel, pulled out the tire, removed the TPMS, fit the tube in, Slime pump worked, on top of that, "low fuel" started displaying and it was too late to find an opened station ....and we got to next town at 2AM, the next day i made another 500Km curvy road with that tube-tire front before getting to a town where i could get a proper motorcycle tire and got it changed :).

lesson learned :
1/ Tube-tire is ok to ride up to 120Km/h
2/ From the moment "low fuel" starts displaying, you can run for at least another 50Km

That was fun and memorable.

at

I usually order my tires online, ride my bike to the dealer with someone in car carrying tires.  Drop off bike and tires, and go have lunch.  Come back and bike is ready.
Had a coworker tell me he ordered tires for his VTX 1800.  Put one over each arm, and rode to dealer like that!  I can't confirm, cuz I didn't SEE him do this, but wouldn't put it past him. :-\

juve said:
I usually order my tires online, ride my bike to the dealer with someone in car carrying tires.  Drop off bike and tires, and go have lunch.  Come back and bike is ready.
Had a coworker tell me he ordered tires for his VTX 1800.  Put one over each arm, and rode to dealer like that!  I can't confirm, cuz I didn't SEE him do this, but wouldn't put it past him. :-\
I too know a crazy guy that did this very same thing.  The dealer was only 5 miles from his house but it was still a sight to see.  Not very safe I would imagine.