• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Anyone tried changing to different tire profiles?

ConcoursOne

I was wondering if anyone has any info on changing the tire profiles on both or either front or rear tires from the stock C-14 profiles. I have made a variety of adjustments of both suspensions and this has improved vastly the funky handling characteristics of this otherwise great performing motorcycle. I am curious if anyone has tried changing profiles and to any noticeable definitive improved handling results (other than changing the OEM tire brand).
  It seemed to be a lot simpler with my old C-10 and it's predictable uniform great handling. I eventually found Michelin and finished out with Pirelli, very being pleased with both, until my bike upgrade.
  I should have put this question out there sooner, as I will need tires soon . I would appreciate any info on this possible change-up.

There have been a few threads on running a 55 series profile on the rear instead of the stock 50 series.

Do a search as there are more opinions than I can list here.

As for the front, I'm not sure if anyone has tried anything different.  The biggest issue I see is most 60 series front tires are designed for middle weight bikes, not 700lbs behemoths!!!

Yea, I tried the B spec compound on a PR3 rear in 180/55 . The B spec is supposed to be slightly harder compound for 2 up and heavy touring, and 180/55 is the only size it came in. I wanted to try a taller profile hoping to help with the heavy steering you get in long sweepers where you have to push on the inside handlebar to keep it leaned over. I also wanted to keep the stock tire diameter to keep the wheel speed sensors happy, and the 180/55 worked perfectly there too.
Happily, the pr3's are a much better tire than the original BT21's, especially in the wet. Unfortunately, I haven't got much more millage out of this set than the originals and they cost me a whole lot more.

Oh yea! I do think that the taller profile tire helped with the heavy steering. Although, as the tire flattens off it sneaks back in. Not as bad as the originals though. I'm going to finish out the year with this set but in the spring, I plan on replacing them and returning to the stock rear size, just to see if the heavyness comes back. If it does, I'll go back to the 180/55's for good.

Just for reference, I went through the original set of bt 21's in 6000 miles. The last 1000 of that got pretty spooky. This set of pr3's have gone 7000, and need replacing. I've wore a V on the left side through the visible tread on the rear with some minor cupping. Front isn't nearly as worn but still left side bias. (Eh,.. Must be watching too much nascar) Anyway, I do have to say that the steering vagueness of worn tires has just started so I'll get another 1000 out of them which will finish out my year anyway, and make 8000 on these pr3's. Not bad I guess. Worth $350 a set before mounting? I don't know.

When we talk of the different profile, most are still keeping the stock section width of 190.

I know the GT style tires are usually not available in 190/55s.  But running a 180/55 on a 6" rim is going to cause it to flaten out some and not be as much of a change.

bt023 in a 190/55 is available in a B spec front and rear.
a *55* guy here, never going back to a 50