• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Area P slip ons

jbalko27

Training Wheels
I've been doing some reading on the forum here and think i've made up my mind to go with the Area P slip-on exhaust.  I saw them mentioned in several other threads, but didn't come across a thread dedicated soley to them.  If anyone has them, please post some pics and let me know if you like them. 

My primary goal is to get a better looking can than the stock one.  I would like to keep it relatively quiet too. So from what i've read, it sounds like the Area P is a good fit for my goals.

Next decision is whether or not to get just the can or also get the PCV and new BMC air intake.  I emailed Fuelmoto to get a price on the pipes and then the combo deal too.  Not that I really think the bike needs the extra hp/torque that doing the intake/PCV would give me, just the idea of how easily I could acheive it for a relatively low cost is making me consider it.

Anyone that can share on the ease of install of the slip-ons and/or the air cleaner and PCV, please do.  I asked Fuelmoto about install of the AC and they said it was a pretty easy install, but it does require removing the fuel tank which they said comes apart easily.  I'm certainly no mechanic, so the thought of removing the fuel tank kinda scares me a bit.  Probably a good idea to get a maintenance manual for the bike if I decide to take this project on, true?

Thanks!

Oh yeah, one thing I was wondering and forgot to ask.  I saw a pic on the forum of mick777's bike with the Area P's on it and the can doesn't have the Area P logo on it.  I definately prefer this look.  Is the logo easily removed from the can, or do you have to ask them specially to leave it off? 

I don't have pics, but I can highly recommend the Area P slip-on.  Installation was easy, and it sounds nice and throaty (not too loud, but it lets you know you are on a motorcycle; with OEM, the bike sounded like a sewing machine).  Your bike will drop about 14 pounds too.  The logo is still on my can, but previous threads mentioned that a little heat from a hair dryer will do the job.  The folks at Area P are extremely helpful; you might even be able to order it without the logo.

I bought the Area P stainless Steel can. I like the look of it much better than the Carbon Fiber look. Of course that's just my opinion on it. Mine came without a logo on it. But IIRC, it was included in the box. So I could have put it on to advertise. But I like the clean SS look on the bike.
Installation took about 15 minutes for me. Two bolts ands a clamp to remove the Howitzer from the C14. Then moving the rubber center stand grommet to the new pipe. Replacing one bolt and the clamp (making sure it was aligned right when the pannier was installed), and I was done. So to be safe, give yourself an hour to pop it on. The hardest part was moving the grommet!
I bought my Area P directly from Kerry at Area P. A Power Commander and air filter is not necessary. Although if you plan to remove the flies as well, then it is. Then it might be better going through Jammie at FuelMoto for a complete package. That way the mapping would be preloaded in the PC.

I installed an AreaP CF slip-on last year and I really like it. It's about twice as loud as the stocker at idle but at cruising speed it's about the same. When you get on it though, that's when it makes some beautiful music. I have a lil decel pop/burble but I actually like it.

I bought an Area P carbon slip on and like it VERY much.  I like the look much better than stainless, and aside from the good looks, nice sound and performance gains (not so noticeable), the reduction in heat to the right bag is VERY noticeable.

I didn't like the logo sticker so much, and while just sort of checking the adhesive of the sticker with my fingernail, the edge lifted and wrinkled so I peeled it off cleanly without residue.  It is VERY thin.

Another observation is that after riding a couple thousand miles, the sound has gotten somewhat louder, but it is still NOT loud and sounds great.

P1020558.jpg

Thanks for the replies!  I got in touch with Kerry at Area P tonight and ordered a carbon slip on.  He said that all Slip-Ons currently in stock have the logo installed and that you can very easily remove it when new, as the mylar sticker bonding agent is only activated during the first heat cycle (still relatively easy to remove after that).

I'm guessing it'll probably arrive early next week.  Can't wait to put it on!!  :)

I'm very close to hitting 600 miles for my break-in service.  Is there any reason I should wait until after it is serviced (by my dealer) to swap out cans? 

Jon said:
Thanks for the replies!  I got in touch with Kerry at Area P tonight and ordered a carbon slip on.  He said that all Slip-Ons currently in stock have the logo installed and that you can very easily remove it when new, as the mylar sticker bonding agent is only activated during the first heat cycle (still relatively easy to remove after that).

I'm guessing it'll probably arrive early next week.  Can't wait to put it on!!  :)

I'm very close to hitting 600 miles for my break-in service.  Is there any reason I should wait until after it is serviced (by my dealer) to swap out cans?

When I ordered my AreaP I wanted it sans sticker. They told me that I would have to wait two weeks since all the cans they had ready to ship had the sticker on em. They said to just peal it off when I got it and there would be no problem, I did and there wasn't.

No reason to wait to install your can, the dealer won't care.