• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Artist Point - Friday, 21 July

Daboo

I've posted an event for Friday, 21 July to ride to Artist Point. Please RSVP if you plan to go.

Artist Point is unique. When I was in my teens and twenties, I would spend hours to climb to a place like this for the experience. You get to ride to it. Little effort involved, except time.

The road to Artist Point is on the Mt. Baker Highway, Hwy 542. You can't get lost. It ends at Artist Point and goes no further. As you get closer, the sweepers begin. Fun and fast, if that's your choice. Then the road gets more technical. That's a euphemism for saying, it gets tighter and tighter in the corners till you can't get to the cautionary speed limit. There are corners that recommend 15 mph. I challenge you to do more than 10 mph. This is a road that really fits the idea that you ride it for the scenery...or you ride it for the road. If you try to mix it...you'll find you can't do both.

I have seen cyclists get to the top...look around...and head back down 15 minutes later. I won't. From the parking lot there is a trail...paved in places...that leads to stunning views of Mt. Shuksan. Take the other trail, called the Ptarmigan Ridge trail, and it leads to stunning views of Mt. Baker. You can't lose...unless you skip it and head downhill without exploring the area.

So plan for some light hiking and a couple hours of time to explore these two trails. The effort is about like climbing two flights of stairs total. The reward...is like nothing you've ever seen before.

I go here a couple times a year. In the early summer when it opens, you can see the pools of water with the snow. There's an incredible color of blue in the water. In the summer, it dries up and you have a different experience. In the fall, you see the colors change to the reds and oranges. It's all good.

Chris.

Just a reminder to RSVP if you plan to come. If no one registers by Thursday evening, I won't stop at Denny's and will proceed directly to Artist Point on Friday morning.

In looking at the ride description, 2-3 hours hiking might be overkill. But I would plan for 1-2 hours. If you've never been there, you'll think that is a waste of time. Once you're there, you'll find it isn't.

Chris

No one has signed as of 10 pm on Thursday, so I will skip Denny's and head up to Artist Point from my house.

Chris