• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

At least I know I'm not the only one...

Tango37

Big Wheel
Well, the first week of owning my C-14, I'm pulling into the bike area of the parking lot.  Bear in mind I still have the paper dealer plate on it. Anyone who has been in Oklahoma knows it's pretty much always windy.  So as I'm making the slow entry tip-toeing to a slow right with the bars at full lock, a stout wind slaps me from the left.  of course, since I'm about to bring it to a stop, I've got the front brake covered.  Well, when the wind hit me, I attempted to steady the bike by holding the bars tighter (which means I grabbed some brake).  Oops.  I tried to fight, and realistically let her down slowly, because as we know, once she's going over, she's going over.  I jumped up, and looked around to see if anyone had spotted me.  Then picked her up as quickly as possible.  There is a slight scuff on the mirror and a slight scuff on the side case. 

Canyon cages now installed, and lesson learnt. 

I guess I got that out of the way early, eh?

First week, eh?  No, you're FAR from the only one to drop her in the early days of a relationship.  The trick is that you picked her back up and rode off to fresh adventures - this time with a more mindful eye to the wind.  Glad you've now got the Canyon Cages installed, because it'll probably happen again.

And so it has now become my sad duty to confirm you as the 544th recipient of the uncoveted Connie Droppers Anonymous Award.  You have yet another tale to share around a Rally campfire.  My sincerest condolences!

The five most recent unfortunates:
0540 C10 Gerald Gaither
0541 C14 Alan G Peck
0542 C14 Daniel McDermott
0543 C14 Richard Nielsen
0544 C14 Shawn Teel

RWNielsen said:
Then picked her up as quickly as possible.

I tried that and the mine wouldn't budge. I had about the same damage. Glad you didn't get hurt.
I used the method that requires you to place your arse on the seat, and sort of pick it up like performing a squat exercise.  I was pretty surprised how easy it was to get back upright.

I used the method that requires you to place your arse on the seat, and sort of pick it up like performing a squat exercise.  I was pretty surprised how easy it was to get back upright.
Yes, I did that too. And you won't hurt your back that way...

I can agree with that fully.  For me, L4 and L5 are trashed, doc says the bottom of my spine looks like that of a man in his mid 60s.  But with that method, I got the bike back upright with no issues whatsoever.