• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Avon Tyres - Did I set a record?

ghabel

With all the talk about how few miles the Avon Storm and Azaro get, I was pleasantly surprised I have almost 11,000 on them. I rigorously check tire pressure (40 front, 42 rear) and weigh about 160 lbs. A mix of twisties and slab but I prefer twisties. At about 9,000 I started developing cupping on the rear but have held out in changing. The cupping is significant now and time for a change. The front has cupping but minor. Who says these Avons can't last long?! Greg H from Mass, Connie Droppers Anonymous Awards Dude COG# 7010,a Tracey CDA 120 (2.0) 99 Connie "Herrin Christabelle", 05 Ninja 250
2211123920053849446TvPbOP_th.jpg
6n2c6z

I use to get about 7,000 out of the Azaro rear. I'm fairly hard on tires too! Bionic Bob COG & AMA member First C14 CDA member #0220 2008 C14 & 2003 Mean Streak
2003375907710792664_th.jpg

I was pleasantly surprised I have almost 11,000 on them.
I no longer have my Connie, so I don't know if my 2nd set reached/will reach the same mileage. But my first rear Azaro was replaced @ (IIRC) approx 12,300 mi. So it can be done!

Then don't git them Wang tars...cuz you'll never wear em out. Diff strokes/ridin style fer shure. IIRC I got ~6k outta my Avon rears, not enuf. 01 Conc, Mijami Floriduh OTP 06: http://tinyurl.com/2vk9o2 route map: http://tinyurl.com/4p7pmd
yzdfi9.jpg
yzdfib.jpg
yzdfia.jpg
y6x7zt.jpg

I think this begs the question "How hard do you brake, and how much is with the rear wheel?(don't forget engine braking)". I don't brake hard, and my tires last over 10,000, too. I mentioned this once before, and one of the responders who didn't get very many miles fessed up to really enjoying braking to the max. So, how hard do folks brake, and what kind of mileage are they getting? If we were college kids we could build a project out of this for some class. ;)

I have also heard braking while turning/leaned over is how cupping happens. Brake straight up and cupping goes way down. So I have heard. 2003 Concours, 54K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

I routinely get 13-14k outta my rear Avon Azaro. The last front Azaro I ran knocked off 16k before it was swapped out for a new Avon Storm. Even at that 16k, it was just barely at the wear bars...

I wish I kept better records but I thinking I got about 13 or 14 thousand a Storm on the front. Went through 2 Azaro's on the rear in that time but the first was replaced when it was about half worn out when I picked up a nail so I'm thinking I got about 8 or 9 thousand outa the second rear. Russ Neal North Stonington, Ct Originally from Willsboro, NY 04 Connie 99 Yamaha Venture IBA # 32003 Venturers.org # 1774

Thought I would chime in, most of my riding is commuting with 85% slab and I am 5'9 170lbs. I have consistantly on two Azero rears gotten 16,000. I changed the front at the same time out of habit, but this last time I didn't. I have 8,000 on current rear and 21,000 on the front. I am not very aggressive while commuting. ;) John Ashton Ft. Worth, TX COG 6513 AMA 1078826 05 Concours