• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Avon Update

PerusTC

Street Cruiser
I just purchased and mounted an Avon Storm 2 Ultra on the front and a Azaro on the rear of my 2000 connie.I can't put into words effectively enough to voice the difference compared to the OEM skins.The bike feels MUCH more stable and sticks in corner like nothing I have experienced since I put Slicks on my 2003 ZRX 1200.Avon has hitthe bullseye in the Azaro.Especially if the skuttlebutt is true that the Azzy is an intermediary for the new rear tire for the connie riders.The highway comfort even in the heat is nothing short of amazing.I am currently running 38-40lbs in the front and 41-43 in the rear depending on how hot it gets.The tires scuff quickly and seem to heat up nice and fast.{Although at 100 degrees it is much of an effort).Of course Pilot 3's are gummier but,I would put these meats up against any comparable tire in the price range.IMHO these are right on the money for the price.(No pun intended) 8)

+1.  I'm on my 3rd set of Avons on my C10.  The only tire I liked better are the discontinued Metzler Z2/Z4 combo.  I mounted up a fresh set of tires and soon after took the bike off the road when I got my C14...  whoever purchases the bike will get a nearly new, sweet set of tires.

Perus said:
I just purchased and mounted an Avon Storm 2 Ultra on the front and a Azaro on the rear of my 2000 connie.I can't put into words effectively enough to voice the difference compared to the OEM skins.The bike feels MUCH more stable and sticks in corner like nothing I have experienced since I put Slicks on my 2003 ZRX 1200.Avon has hitthe bullseye in the Azaro.Especially if the skuttlebutt is true that the Azzy is an intermediary for the new rear tire for the connie riders.The highway comfort even in the heat is nothing short of amazing.I am currently running 38-40lbs in the front and 41-43 in the rear depending on how hot it gets.The tires scuff quickly and seem to heat up nice and fast.{Although at 100 degrees it is much of an effort).Of course Pilot 3's are gummier but,I would put these meats up against any comparable tire in the price range.IMHO these are right on the money for the price.(No pun intended) 8)

+ 1  :iagree:  Those are some exellent tires. I have about 5-6000 miles on mine and the wear is excellent and the handling is superb.

Cheers
Ron

I've been running the Avons on my 02 C10 since the original OEM Dunlops wore out.  The Avons are so much better than the Dunlops it's not even fair to use both names in the same sentence.  The one thing I learned from the Dunlops though was that I'll never have another MC tire that has a circumferential groove.  The Dunlops tracked rain grooves like a slot car.  With the Avons you barely know the rain grooves are there.  That alone justifies the Avons, the rest is just icing.  You're gonna love em !

+1 on the Storm2/Azaro combo. Smooth, quiet, grippy. Great in the rain.
I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of a new series, Storm3? with a dual compound rear in our size. Rumoured to be available this winter.

Yep, have to agree. I went through all of the trouble to convert both wheels to 17" so I could have a much wider choice in modern high performance tires. So what do I do? I stick with Avons just like I did with the 18/16 combo (only I have Storm 2 Ultras on both ends).

Go figure.

Dan

Bergmen said:
Yep, have to agree. I went through all of the trouble to convert both wheels to 17" so I could have a much wider choice in modern high performance tires. So what do I do? I stick with Avons just like I did with the 18/16 combo (only I have Storm 2 Ultras on both ends).

Go figure.

Dan

Yeah, but now you have a rear that will give decent mileage, and probably does not cost any more than the Azaro did. So your cost per mile, just went way down. Not to mention the time and trouble to change it ( and that cost too, if your not doing it yourself ). Using a Storm 2 rear versus the Azaro rear a person could probably pay back a meanstreak conversion in 30K-45K range of tire usage depending in mileage and cost to change. Not to mention the benefit of newer designed rubber.

That is very true (rear Storm 2 Ultra). I just put mine on about 1,000 miles ago and it still looks new. I've been reading of some pretty impressive mileage figures from this tire and these are from C-14 guys with way more power than I have. They are getting 8-9 thousand (and more) out of these rears. I can do that.

Dan