• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Bad Bearing?

speed racer

Big Wheel
Ive been having a high pitch squeak every now and then. It usually starts when i start the bike and usually stops once it has been running a while. I first heard it about a year ago but it went away once the bike warmed up and didn't do it again for a long time. Now it is happening more and more. I think it might be a bearing going bad or something simular. The squeak doesn't change when the bike is reved up. It sounds like it is coming from the front of the motor somewhere. Does anyone have any idea if this could be a bearing or some other problem?

Ohhhh, mannnnn, I HATE noise questions. They are dang near impossible to describe in text, and even harder to understnd. This squeak: does it happen right after starting when the bike is on the center stand, or does it happen only when the bike is moving? If moving, it could be the speedometer, which on the C10 is still a mechanical device. Symptoms of the gears going south in the speedo are a high pitch squeak or scream, often coming and going at random. If the bike makes the noise when standing still, I haven't a clue. Your description that the noise is NOT affected by engine RPM indicates it is nothing in the engine. EVERYTHING in the negine varies with RPM. So, before we dig into this any further, please clarify:
  • Does the noise occur ONLY when moving?
  • Does it occure ONLY when not moving?
  • Does it occure both when moving and not moving?
  • If moving, does the noise vary with speed?
  • Is the noise constant (squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee..!!) or intermittant (squeak! squeak! squeak!)?
  • Have you checked The Obvious Stuff yet (tank mouting rubbers, chafing cables, loose fasteners)?

The noise happens while moving and while stopped. I dont think it varies with speed. It is a constant squeak and it chirps once in a while. It does not sound like a loose fastener or mounting rubbers or chafing cables. I thought originally that the noise was coming from the front tire and it might have been brake pads but it still made the noise when stopped. What you describe the noise of a speedo cable sounds about right. It is a high pitch squeek or scream.

Man any sound that stays the same at any engine or driving speed is a tough one. I don't think that is possible :) Has the bike ever been owned or serviced by other cog members? Rich, would a slightly mal adjusted counter balance shaft sound the same at different engine speeds? I would think so. That adjustment is an old false fix but many old coggers did it. ---------------------------------- South Central Area Director Email scad@cog-online.org
2277636501_61718d569a.jpg
<p align="left"><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20211686@N05/">My Photos<br

Well, one would assume that a mal-adjusted counter-balancer would indeed make different patterns of sound at different engine speeds, but under the circumstances that is worth looking at. The fact that the noise is present when the bike is both moving and stationary indicates that it is NOT the speedometer as nothing is moving in the speedo when the bike is not moving. Back off the adjuster 1/8th of a turn and see what happens. The tachometer is electric, so that leave that out. Larry, any chance you can get an audio clip of this and e-mail it to me? Or take a short video clip (with sound on) and post that, or set up a Skype session? Without a better idea of the quality of the sound, we are just guessing here. A real stretch would be a vacuum or exhaust leak making a high pitched squeak, but like I said, that is really reaching.

+1 on the counter balancer they have a very distinctive Chirp, chirp/squeal. Look forward to hearing it :) Colin Prior COG IT Director Lake Forest Park WA COG#7767 AMA#1081764 ROK#20000617

If you want to mess with the counterbalance I may have to find the old procedure. See for years people passed the procedure around for reducing the vibrations from the engine. Then someone smart had the engine apart and said the adjustment has nothing to do with the balance and vibs and only is a gear mesh setting. I still hear people trying to suggest the adjustment today. ---------------------------------- South Central Area Director Email scad@cog-online.org
2277636501_61718d569a.jpg
<p align="left"><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20211686@N05/">My Photos<br

well, that would have been me, but I'm not sure I'm fessin' up to the "smart" part
I'm sorry Steve but I beg to differ LoL ;P Best way to reduce the vibes is to reduce the weight :) Colin Prior COG IT Director Lake Forest Park WA COG#7767 AMA#1081764 ROK#20000617
2606714340100596652OGFlOW_th.jpg