• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Bad tire

oldguy

I rode the Blueridge Parkway last week.  On my way back to Atlanta on I-77 I started feeling a vibration that seemed to be in the front tire. I stopped and looked but everything looked ok. I started again but it seemed to be getting worse. I stopped again and noticed a bulge in the middle of the front tire. This was about 70 miles north of Charlotte kind of in the middle of nowhere.  Luckily I found a shop with the size i needed about 20 miles away in Wilksboro.  I limped in there and they were great. Stayed open past their normal closing time and got me back on the road in a little over an hour.  For anyone in that area, Payne Power Equipment is a Suzuki dealer and they are good people. The tire was a Dunlop Roadsmart with about 8K miles on it. It was not half worn out but the tread was separating.  I have never seen this before in over 40 years of riding. They showed me the tire after ther got it off and there was about a 10 inch long bulge on the inside as well. This was my first Roadsmart. I liked the way it handled but am a little gun-shy about getting another one. They installed a Metzeler(only one in my size) and it feels good so far.

Dunlop was replacing a certain run of RoadSmart front tires based on the number on the sidewall. The  tire has to be returned to them. Even though my tire was still good they replaced it for free. So this is my second RoadSmart and I will continue to use them. As you say I like the way it handles.

It may have been a 1998 tire?

Thanks for the info Mettler 1, I am sure the tire was not that old. I installed it in Nov 2009. I left the tire in North Carolina at the dealer. I know sometimes dealers keep a tire in stock for a while, but I ordered this one from one of the big catalogs . They usually have fresh stock.