• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

battery output

ratsac

hi all. i have been having issues all summer with my battery or charging system on my 2000 model with 50 000 miles. It all started when I installed the murphs light upgrade so i can run day time running lights, 35 watt halogen. I think I followed the directions, every thing was good for about 4 days and the I had a dead battery. checked it out with tester very dead, bought a new one, good brand sealed battery. went on a 300 mile ride, all well for 3 weeks. I travel 23miles to work and then 23 home.one day it was dead again. I thought it was because i left the keys in the ignition. I have been leaving the spot lights on all the time as they turn off with the other lights.I tested the battery again after charging it and it is putting out 13.8 amps under full load, Is this correct or should i be getting more. I have now been riding for 3 weeks to work and back in the rain. I have ordered new spark plug leads from murph as been having sputtering at 4000-5000 revs.It still has the original leads. carbs are fine.To day i got on the bike and it was very dead. went to put it on the charger and found the positive lead screw loose. I hope this is the problem. but could i need a new alternator? how can i keep the screw lock down on the battery leads, i have 2 extra leads going to the terminal Thanks for putting up with my rambling andrew howgego.

Andy, Sounds like you might have found the issue, loose cable, you can get a longer bolt and add some washers if needed to tighten it up. You should have around 14.5 volts at 2000 rpm with the headlight only on. It might be slightly lower with the acc lights on but it should not be below 14v. Give the battery a good charge and fix the cable and see how it goes. PM me and I can look at it with you if needed. CT AAD COG #7011-A 2003 Concours-Mary Ann 1995 Honda Nighthawk 750 wifes
2404055870098914013eWgtrD_th.jpg
2032479400098914013vMhfsR_th.jpg

Hey Andy As Norm stated, I think you are on your way. Correct the loose battery terminal bolt and check the alternator/charging voltage output at the battery with a meter as Norm said. I may be a bit closer to you than Norm, depending if you are coming from home or work :) -- Steve Smith, COG #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

thanks, i got a longer bolt today will try it on and take it to work to get the mechanic to run another test on it. a Sunday ride might be nice, if this rain keeps up i will have to work as i have had too many days off due to the rain, hope you all had fun at the nationals. if I need help I will ring you both, thankyou andrew

Andrew sez: "I think I followed the directions.." Doh! You're not making me feel warm and fuzzy on this topic, bro. The screw is a good place to start but I'd really recommend rechecking your modification wiring. Sneak paths in lighting are very tricky as you can have a parallel path between three bulbs that will act like almost a dead short, but the bulbs won't light up. The classic alternate-blinking side marker light circuit is a classic case. Once you have the new battery terminal screw in and everything is tight, start the bike and let it warm up, then check the voltage at the battery terminals like Norm says in his post. Put a voltmeter on the battery and at idle it should be between 13 and 14 VOLTS (not amps). Rev the engine above 2000 and the voltage should increase. If you do not see that increase you have charging issues, which could be anything from a bad alternator to a voltage regulator to loose wires.

this is a follow up of the battery issue, I put in a longer screwwith 2 washers to take up the slack, nice tight fit. charged the battery for 24 hours and all was good let the bike sit for 24 hours and it started up with no problems I then went for a ride on sunday up to mass and back about 180 miles. nice day no issues, in and out of rain on rt 8. never had a issue with the revs or anything. today i took it to work and we tested the battery. as follows standing still- not running 12.55 idling -13.2 reving over 2500rpm-13.7 i dont know if this is good. or normall