• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Battery

dolittle

Training Wheels
Hi every one! Where can i charge the battery on the 14 with out pulling it out of the bike? Thanks.

Never could figure that out myself - it is a major pain to try to get to the battery. I just wired a powerlet socket to the battery and plug my tender right into it. Very convenient. The powerlet is mounted on the black plastic part of the fairing that is underneath the handlebar.

I've got an auxillary fuse box connected directly to the battery that I use for my electrical accessories. One of the connections to it ends in a two-wire SAE plug that I use for either my heated jacket or my battery tender.

I don't have a charger on mine as I haven't had any starting issues with it after sitting for more than a month. It doesn't draw that much just sitting unless you have a vampire farkle taking more than the stock amount of juice. Some of the sealed batteries coming with the bike have been defective out of the box and won't keep a charge, though. How long are you letting it sit and have you had any starting issues? 08 Concours 14 King George, VA

If you remove the right side plastic cover over the battery, you can access the positive battery terminal under the red rubber boot. I think you can get a small alligator clip lead on the positive terminal without removing the metal cover plate, however, access is pretty tight and you would have to use great care to make sure it didn't short out to the the frame (ground). You can use the frame of the bike for the ground connection. Most folks, myself included, have hard wired on a small SAE type plug to the battery to allow easy connection to a "Battery Tender" type monitor/charger. Just be sure to put a fuse on it, and mount the fuse as physically close to the battery as possible. This will protect the battery and wiring in the event the positive side of your newly added lead shorts out somehow. You will probably need to remove the large metal cover plate over the battery if you want to add a permanent connector plug,

I run mine through the Powerlet receptacle I use for my GPS. Bob "Flylooper" Burns COG #5887 E Clampus Vitus, YB#1 '04 FJR 1300
VisitedStatesMap.jpg