• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Battleship Cove Massachusetts Ride Report.

Gerry B

Mini Bike
Well it started out REALLY iffy... The last straggler of rain showers just went by as I was eating my breakfast at 7:30AM. We met in Windham CT for a coffee and wait out the last of the crappy mist. Bob Barbanti, Brian and Andrea Felice, Norm and Lorie Walton, Mike Cullinan, and me (Gerry Barnett), made our way across CT, RI and MA to get to Fall River to go see the Battleship USS Massachusetts and the other fine warships and aircraft. We had great time touring the WWII Submarine Lionfish and the Russian Missile Corvette "Hiddensee". Along with the destroyer "Joseph P. Kennedy, Jr." we had a full day of exploration and climbing up and down the narrowest passageways I've ever seen. We enjoyed reading the explanations and imagining ourselves as part of the crew. On the way out we checked out two full size PT attack boats. Wooden boats with 3 V-12 supercharged Packard engines chewing up 185 gallons of 100 octane gas each hour! Nothing but floating 3,000 gallon gas tanks with guns and torpedos! It really made you appreciate the services performed by the crewmen of all these fine ships. I personally think they used the roads leading from the Braga Bridge to the cove for practice with a 5" gun. Roads are bad in Rhode Island but they are only preparation for the roads in Fall River... A motocross bike would have had a tough time with some of the road conditions. But alas we made it safe and sound. Added pics link: http://s230.photobucket.com/albums/ee179/gbwinger/Battleship%20Cove/ Aging is scary when you start making the same noises as your coffee maker!

thanks Gerry for another fine ride and a very educational trip although i am very sure all the new knowledge i gained was shaken loose from my brain and left somewhere along the fall river highway system. the only thing that remained with me is whats left of a tar snake. :mad:

Gerry, Sorry I couldn't make it. I had an uncle come down from Canada that we spent time with. He's not into military stuff so we did the Pawsox instead. Thanks for the cautions about the roads too. Greg H from Mass, Connie Droppers Anonymous Awards Dude COG# 7010,a Tracey CDA 120 (2.0) 99 Connie "Herrin Christabelle", 05 Ninja 250
2211123920053849446TvPbOP_th.jpg
6n2c6z

Nice write up Gerry. And I even was named in your photo's. :p I had a great time. Are you glad that guy talked you into going instead of postponing! Bionic Bob COG & AMA member First C14 CDA member #0220 2008 C14 & 2003 Mean Streak
2003375907710792664_th.jpg

A big thank you to Gerry for stepping up and leading a ride. Its what makes COG so great that regular members get involved in keeping us active.

Gerry - Very nice, I'm only a stones throw from that area and actually in Rhode Island just about 15 miles as the crow flies... but then again that could be 90 miles the way I go in round about ways... Hopefully I can connect with some local COG members along the way - thanks for sharing